Who are some premature anointed GOATs that come to mind?

Obvious one for me was Charles. Good lord leading up to 280, it was “Charles is LW goat”, “Charles has/will surpass Khabib”. Even meathead Rogan said “you can’t look at losses, you have to look at his wins”. Ugh…don’t you have to look at the whole picture…wins and losses?

Olivera had a nice 3 wins vs the squatting triplets. He won all 3 but he could’ve lost them. I think people just got caught up emotionally in the excitement of those fights and anointed him Goat. Seems like that Charles GOAT bandwagon is empty as an ice cream store in Siberia.

Personal Take:

I think of Charles a lot like I think about Cain Velasquez.

Cain at his peak I believe beats Fedor and all the rest. But his actual career? Not the GOAT. So somewhat how you define it.

Charles? I think prime/prime he beats BJ, Edgar, Benson, Pettis, and all the rest, until you come to Khabib and the Current Champ.... I wish he and Khabib could have squared off and I hope Charles earns a rematch against the current Champ... Earns by a win at least before a title shot.

But Yeah... Legacy? I don't think Charles is in the GOAT conversation even though I think prime/prime he might wax most of the past champions... He is an Elite Great all time special guy.

Charles is my favorite active fighter,,, but I still won't say he is GOAT of anything.

He fights and beats Darriush - he will have beaten all of the other top 5 contenders below the Champion. Ain't the goat, but NO ONE can even NEARLY flex that. Not while they're all still actively ranked as such

Oh. I agree. He's one of the most accomplished Lightweight for sure with another ranked win or two.

Lando Vannata

Khabib obv bc beat nobody legendary like the real goat bones
Indeed. Khabib did jump into the P4P top 3 GOAT when he retired, in many fans' minds.

Many of us predicted that he'd settle in the lower top 10 after a few years, after recency bias died down.

I think that prediction has generally come true, albeit there are a few holdouts.

I nominate CCC. No doubt a very accomplished fighter, but he retired too soon to be in GOAT discussions. If he had beaten Johnson and prime Cruz convincingly, it would be another story.

Last edited:
The UFC hype machine was calling Woodley a GOAT at one point
giphy.gif

Just get a few lackluster defenses under your belt and they start calling you a GOAT :rolleyes:
Certain people just have a hard-on for trying to replace Georges St. Pierre as a goat candidate or as the obvious choice for goat welterweight.

I mean, she was goat at one point in time. How can that be denied? Women's division just sucked that much
Yes and no. If something never existed before (like the women's division), the very first person to be on top will always be, by default, the GOAT. Which is why it's stupid to talk about it in that context until that history is established.

But let's be clear, Rogan was not just talking about her being the best in the completely new women's division. He was talking about her as the greatest, most dominant ATHLETE IN THE HISTORY OF ALL ATHLETES, not just female athletes or MMA athletes.

Because he's Joe "99% idiot-takes" Rogan. It's who he is, and what he does, but it's still stupid.

There was a lot of big talk back in 2007 when Sokoudjou rocked up in Pride and KTFOd Lil Nog and Arona in the space of about six weeks. It never got that good for him again, but still had a brilliantly random career, he’s beaten and been beaten by some great names…

Personal Take:

I think of Charles a lot like I think about Cain Velasquez.

Cain at his peak I believe beats Fedor and all the rest. But his actual career? Not the GOAT. So somewhat how you define it.

Charles? I think prime/prime he beats BJ, Edgar, Benson, Pettis, and all the rest, until you come to Khabib and the Current Champ.... I wish he and Khabib could have squared off and I hope Charles earns a rematch against the current Champ... Earns by a win at least before a title shot.

But Yeah... Legacy? I don't think Charles is in the GOAT conversation even though I think prime/prime he might wax most of the past champions... He is an Elite Great all time special guy.

Charles is my favorite active fighter,,, but I still won't say he is GOAT of anything.
Charles literally lost to Edgar in his prime though.

Certain people just have a hard-on for trying to replace Georges St. Pierre as a goat candidate or as the obvious choice for goat welterweight.
And we all pretty much know who they are(or were as a huge portion have been banned multiple times)

Obvious one for me was Charles. Good lord leading up to 280, it was “Charles is LW goat”, “Charles has/will surpass Khabib”. Even meathead Rogan said “you can’t look at losses, you have to look at his wins”. Ugh…don’t you have to look at the whole picture…wins and losses?

Olivera had a nice 3 wins vs the squatting triplets. He won all 3 but he could’ve lost them. I think people just got caught up emotionally in the excitement of those fights and anointed him Goat. Seems like that Charles GOAT bandwagon is empty as an ice cream store in Siberia.
The Squatting Triplets sounds kind of sexy.

Actually, if there were no Islam, Oliveria would probably be champ for a good bit. It's more a testament to Islam.

Back