Who’s the greatest LW of all time?

Regardless of his current state, I’d probably still go with BJ.

But Khabib is soon to eclipse him, IMO.

BJ Penn is the greatest LW of all time by a long shot

It really depends on what criteria you adopt. I can believe that prime Penn might lose to some later top LWs if we could bring them together to fight (arguably, prime Penn did lose his belt in the octagon), or that some have faced tougher opponents as the sport evolved. However, no LW has been as far ahead of the game as Penn or distinguished himself in higher weight classes.

Bj gomi

Khabib prob tho with a dominant win over Tony

155 has been so turbulent. BJ Penn fighting to a draw with Caol Uno essentially killed the division for 3.5 years from early 2003 to late 2006. He finally won the LW title for the first time in 2008, and he only reigned until 2010 when he lost to Edgar. If he had reigned from 2003 to 2010, then he would unquestionably be the LW GOAT. He only had 3 title defenses before losing to Edgar. Both Edgar and Benson Henderson had similar title runs to BJ, so it's hard to really call him the unquestionable GOAT.

As it stands, I think there's no clear GOAT, but the fight between Khabib and Tony will be a big opportunity for a LW goat contender.

maybe, napoleon... depends on the weight limit.

Did TS actually put a guy in the OP with one win at LW?

May as well ask the same question about MW, and put GSP in there. Unbelievable.

BJ Penn.

Khabib might be it if he keeps on going like this, but I would like to see him vs some bigger grapplers.

I would honestly put bendo over bj Penn. He sucks now but career for career bendo is better just boring

Khabib is the lw goat easily.

1. Conor MacGregor
2. Heath Herring. If he cut some weight down to 155 he'd totally clean house.
3. Me. I used to fight amateur at 135, but I walked around at about 155 most of the time. One time at one of my fights this dude in the crowd was all like "Fuck yeah!!!" I don't know, maybe ranking myself at #3 is a bit egotistical but I'm at least top 5 for sure.
4. My cat Mr. Scraggles. I know I overfeed him and that can be unhealthy for a cat, but seriously that is one tough bastard. The last time I took him to the veterinarian, the vet explained to me all the dangers of feline obesity and the plethora of health risks I was subjecting the animal to by keeping him at that weight, but then I explained to him that the cat was actually a really good fighter, and I think he sort of understood where I was coming from. He ended up coming over to my house and watching the next UFC and having some beers. Anyways, just turned out to be a really cool dude.
5. Tony Ferguson
6. The cast of Hangin' With Mr. Cooper
7. I don't know I'm starting to get bored with this

I realized that Lightweight has historically been a very strong division and it has some great names.

we have Khabib,Gomi,Mcgregor,Penn,Sakurai, Bendo, Ferguson and even Prime Melendez.

If someone put a gun to your head and forced you to say who you believe is the Greatest Lightweight in MMA history who would you say?
Why would Conor even be in the discussion. He has 1 win at LW. He's 1 - 1, stripped of his belt. He's behind RDA, Pettis, anyone who defended the belt and has an actual resume at LW.

Have seen this question many times and I always have and always will vote Prime BJ. In his time, he was the man. GOAT is a tough title for anyone to hold because the sport is constantly evolving. The GOAT of today would lose to the GOAT of tomorrow. BJ was the GOAT of his day. No question.
<mma4>

I realized that Lightweight has historically been a very strong division and it has some great names.

we have Khabib,Gomi,Mcgregor,Penn,Sakurai, Bendo, Ferguson and even Prime Melendez.

If someone put a gun to your head and forced you to say who you believe is the Greatest Lightweight in MMA history who would you say?
McGregor is 1-1 at LW. LOL Some people need to stop smuggling Conor McGregor along with the great fighters. Conor McGregor is an extremely popular average (at best above average) fighter. He is not a great fighter.

Remember, Conor was finished in the second round by a short-notice opponent. That is a clear sign of less than great.

Gilbert Mendez has the UFC record of a bum. Penn has the UFC record of a bum. Benson Henderson is SEVERELY underrated. However, he ruined his legacy by going to the beta-leagues, and losing there.

Sakurai is 0-1 in the UFC, and his loss was a finish. LOL Gomi has the UFC record of a bum.

Seriously, do some of you even consult the UFC records before making these threads? LOL

Gilbert Mendez has the UFC record of a bum. Penn has the UFC record of a bum. Benson Henderson is SEVERELY underrated. However, he ruined his legacy by going to the beta-leagues, and losing there.

L

So Bendo coming off wins in the UFC, and promptly losing in Bellator means he ruined his legacy?

Doesn't say anything about the UFC level of competition lol?

So Bendo coming off wins in the UFC, and promptly losing in Bellator means he ruined his legacy?

Doesn't say anything about the UFC level of competition lol?
Combat sports is more heavily weighted towards branding and popularity. Since Benson Henderson left the UFC, he has been getting less exposure in MMA talk. That is what ruined his legacy.

Any fighter can lose on any given night. However, certain losses can make a fighter even more forgettable. Especially, if the fighter doesn't have a strong brand and promotion to back him.

This is why Conor McGregor is being mentioned in this conversations. He has a strong brand and promotion. So, every loss gets swept under the rug and every win gets blown out of proportion. The guy is only 1-1 in the division, and yet being compared with guys who have 10-0 winning streaks and/or multiple title defenses. All this because he has a popular brand. LOL

All these bj penn losers. I like my GOATS undefeated not a 50/50 record.
Khabib would dump tiny penn on his head

Back