Media Whittaker unsure of money bout with Chimaev, hopes to get title shot by beating Strickland

I don't think Whittaker needs any hype, he needs another legitimate top 5 win at MW to guarantee he gets a title shot before he retires and Khamzat currently isn't even in the top 10.
You guys act like this is a sport where so many top five wins get you a shot. When we know from many, many past examples that is not the case.

Khamzat is not a prospect at this point.

But beating a guy with hype doesn't increase Rob's rank.

Rob wins and the case against him is that he beat a bloated WW at MW.

Or you could make the arguement that he hasn't fought any ranked MWs, I really don't get why Mike seems to think there's so much hype still for Khamzat after he squeaked by 10 days notice Usman at MW.

You guys act like this is a sport where so many top five wins get you a shot. When we know from many, many past examples that is not the case.

You are massively overrating the hype Khamzat has, it's died down a lot after he barely beat 10 days notice Usman at MW.

Whittaker vs Du Plessis II?

<WhatIsThis>

No, Whittaker vs Chimaev makes more sense if Dana would only open up the wallet.

You are massively overrating the hype Khamzat has, it's died down a lot after he barely beat 10 days notice Usman at MW.
It's the same way he beat Burns but without almost getting finished lol. It's better than the Burns win so if that didn't kill the hype beating the former champ shouldn't. Although I agree beating the ww champ at mw isn't amazing.

But let's be real the UFC decides what's impressive and worthy of a shot. It's not like the UFC couldn't give Rob a shot off beating Khamzat, especially with a finish. That wouldn't even make a list of egregious UFC title shots.

It's the same way he beat Burns but without almost getting finished lol. It's better than the Burns win so if that didn't kill the hype beating the former champ shouldn't. Although I agree beating the ww champ at mw isn't amazing.

But let's be real the UFC decides what's impressive and worthy of a shot. It's not like the UFC couldn't give Rob a shot off beating Khamzat, especially with a finish. That wouldn't even make a list of egregious UFC title shots.

In Khamzat's last 3 fights he's had 2 very competitive fights with WWs, one of them had 10 days notice. He's done nothing at MW, you are overrating the hell out of the hype Khamzat has currently. A win over a proven top 10 MW that's in or near the top 5 does more for Whittaker than beating Khamzat does right now.

If Khamzat had the hype you seem to think he has, he would have gotten the title shot Dana said he would get with a win over Usman but that's obviously not happening and Khamzat is ranked 11th while not having fought a single top 15 MW.

Reactions: lsa
In Khamzat's last 3 fights he's had 2 very competitive fights with WWs, one of them had 10 days notice. He's done nothing at MW, you are overrating the hell out of the hype Khamzat has currently. A win over a proven top 10 MW that's in or near the top 5 does more for Whittaker than beating Khamzat does right now.
I think some of you are underrating that a guy can have hype and name value without really doing anything. He's undefeated and has wins over some big names, regardless of circumstances. Do you think someone getting a hypothetical win over say Cannonier would get more hype/buzz than getting a win over Khamzat?

I think some of you are underrating that a guy can have hype and name value without really doing anything. He's undefeated and has wins over some big names, regardless of circumstances. Do you think someone getting a hypothetical win over say Cannonier would get more hype/buzz than getting a win over Khamzat?
I think Whittaker is more likely to get a title shot with a win over Cannonier than he would from beating Khamzat. Most people that regularly follow MMA know that Khamzat has no ranked win at MW and has had 2 very close fights with WWs one of which basically had no training camp. Khamzat's hype has died a lot.

You're right, it might count as a duck though, fair to say he's trying to avoid him at least.
He's ducking by wanting to fight the #1 ranked fighter in the division

{<huh}

Whittaker doesn't owe Khamzat shit.

Khamzat is ranked #11 and hasn't even fought anyone in that division.

So why would Whittaker step down to fight this guy who's ranked #11 and hasn't fought anybody when he can aim for the #1 spot.

Why would he do that, to prove some random Sherdogger wrong? Lol

Last edited:
He's still undefeated and everyone knows he starts strong early then gasses but nobody can do anything about it. He threw Usman around last time out, I'm sure Rob saw footage of that and was concerned lol.
Threw Usman around? I think you need to rewatch. Or don't.

What you don't wanna do is to look like a casual idiot. Or maybe you do.

It sure is interesting how ranked mws want nothing to do with fighting this guy that's supposed to be an easy win. Even though he has huge hype and beating him would be a big deal.
Low ranked fighters are calling him out all the time. He's not answering. Dolidze been on that.

His hype has died way down.

Everyone who watched the fight against Usman thinks Usman would have won if it was 5 rounds.

Your whole logic behind Whittaker fighting Khamzat is that the hype it would give him could "potentially", "maybe" give him a title shot. That's a big maybe for a guy who has 0 wins in the division and has lost a ton of hype.

Meanwhile he can fight Sean Strickland who's ranked #1 and really hot right now. Stickland is everywhere in the media and has been getting way more attention than Khamzat. Beating him guarantees him that #1 spot in the rankings.

No amount of mental gymnastics will justify a fight against Khamzat making more sense than one against Strickland.

Last edited:
Like I said wanting to fight Strickland over him makes sense, but people talking like Khamzat has no name value is crazy. More people would definitely care about having a win over him then say Vettori, Cannonier, Allen etc.
Nah I bet if Khazmat loses his first true test at Mw vs any ranked MW ... people are going to say

"He not that good"
"He needs to go back to being a weight bully at WW"

You know I'm right.

It sure is interesting how ranked mws want nothing to do with fighting this guy that's supposed to be an easy win. Even though he has huge hype and beating him would be a big deal.

He's just not relevant at mw other than in hype alone, as whittaker pointed out. And his hype is dying daily.

Last edited:
Being the first guy to beat the undefeated scary boogeyman does nothing for you? Lol just be honest, you don't want to take it because you think there's a high probability you lose.

He literally acknowledged this, genius. What do you think he meant by 'clout'?

He just thinks the Strickland fight does more for him. And he is right.

wow that woman looks very jewish

Back