Media Whittaker unsure of money bout with Chimaev, hopes to get title shot by beating Strickland

Unheralded Truth

Brown Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score

Khamzat Chimaev, would you entertain that fight?

"Uhm... That's a tricky one, because it doesn't move me - well, it does in clout. But doesn't move me higher up the rankings.
I don't know, now I wanna fight guys in the top 5. And beating Strickland puts me at one again, and that's as close as you can get, really."

The fight is a logical next step and makes perfect sense unless the UFC is angling to make Strickland/Adesanya II. Ideally, they do DDP/Cannonier, and make Adesanya/Khamzat and Strickland/Whittaker.

The fight is a logical next step and makes perfect sense unless the UFC is angling to make Strickland/Adesanya II. Ideally, they do DDP/Cannonier, and make Adesanya/Khamzat and Strickland/Whittaker.
I agree that they should do DDP vs Cannonier now.

it's a logical fight, that can happen right now, Dricus would be favoured to win. he wants that big fight in africa or whatever but it wont happen soonish if he wants to stay active take this fight and build towards the africa fight with a win

Meh. The best fights are the ones that make me instantly excited. Rob vs Sean ain't that. Yeah it makes sense and blah blah blah. Let's try again

Being the first guy to beat the undefeated scary boogeyman does nothing for you? Lol just be honest, you don't want to take it because you think there's a high probability you lose.

He would gain a lot of new followers that want to see Khamzat lose. Momentum will definitely push him into a title shot if he wins.

Its the same for Sandhagen, who alrdy deserves a title shot, but beating Nurmagomedov would take his career to a new level.

Lol did you see Khamzat's last fight? He's no boogeyman.
He's still undefeated and everyone knows he starts strong early then gasses but nobody can do anything about it. He threw Usman around last time out, I'm sure Rob saw footage of that and was concerned lol.

Being the first guy to beat the undefeated scary boogeyman does nothing for you? Lol just be honest, you don't want to take it because you think there's a high probability you lose.
The scary boogeyman who barely beat a compromised version of Kamaru Usman who accepted the fight on 10 days notice? (In which most people thought he would've lost had it gone 5 rounds).

Or the scary boogeyman who has 0 wins against any ranked MWs? The one that fought life and death against a former LW, Gilbert Burns?

Khamzat hasn't given me any reason to think he will actually fight a top 5 middleweight. I think he will continue to push for fights against welterweight fighters but at 185. There he has a huge advantage, and can continue his Tik Tok warrior status.

Whittaker vs Strickland makes the most sense from a pure rankings perspective. However, the UFC might be wise to keep Strickland on the sidelines to rematch the DDP/Adesanya winner. Both of those rematches also make a lot of sense, especially if Adesanya wins. If Whittaker were to beat Strickland, it puts a damper on those potential rematches. It's also a risk if both Adesanya and Whittaker win, then we are looking at another fight between those two.

The scary boogeyman who barely beat a compromised version of Kamaru Usman who accepted the fight on 10 days notice? (In which most people thought he would've lost had it gone 5 rounds).

Or the scary boogeyman who has 0 wins against any ranked MWs? The one that fought life and death against a former LW, Gilbert Burns?
It sure is interesting how ranked mws want nothing to do with fighting this guy that's supposed to be an easy win. Even though he has huge hype and beating him would be a big deal.

It sure is interesting how ranked mws want nothing to do with fighting this guy that's supposed to be an easy win.
I never said it was an easy win. But the guy has exactly 0 notable wins at 185.

To imply that Whittaker, the same dude who fought Romero twice and just beat Costa is ducking this guy is beyond stupid.

Khamzat does nothing for him in terms of rankings.

I never said it was an easy win. But the guy has exactly 0 notable wins at 185.

To imply that Whittaker, the same dude who fought Romero twice and just beat Costa is ducking this guy is beyond stupid.

Khamzat does nothing for him in terms of rankings.
I don't disagree that he has 0 mw wins. But beating him would do nothing for Rob? That's crazy to me. Beating a hyped undefeated prospect is always a good thing.

Khamzat hasn't got a single ranked MW win. He's still avoiding them all.​
So wouldn't Bobby wanna fight this guy that's easy money? I never said Khamzat has a bunch of ranked mw wins guys lmao. He doesn't. I said it's silly Rob is acting like fighting him wouldn't do anything for him.

Back