White House: President Obama will NOT attend the funeral for Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia

Whatever his reasons, it comes across as a dick move.

It could very well be simple pettiness. Apparently Obama is no fan of Churchill, and ordered a bust of the great man in the White House to be put into storage when he became POTUS.

And, again, we don't know his priorities. If he's going golfing, I'll agree with you.

True. Though, it seems to be one of those things you make time for unless it's a really pressing matter of state getting in the way. It could all just be coincidence that he has time to make Mandela's funeral but not Thatcher's - schedule conflicts and such - but I doubt we'll ever get a straight answer about it, or that anyone cares enough to get one.

I admittedly have a burr in my bra over the lack of turnout from our government for Thatcher's passing. Not only was she a great ally of the U.S., she was also a really inspiring figure for me, personally, growing up. So yeah, I may not be entirely objective on this. Skipping a Supreme Court judge's funeral just makes me wonder if certain funerals are very low priority for Obama.

Scalia wouldn't want that dirt-bag to come anyway.

He won't be missed. Besides, he probably has some thug or gang-banger's funeral to attend.
you should have just said some n@#$#r's funeral

It is shameful to die of old age, would not attend.

True. Though, it seems to be one of those things you make time for unless it's a really pressing matter of state getting in the way. It could all just be coincidence that he has time to make Mandela's funeral but not Thatcher's - schedule conflicts and such - but I doubt we'll ever get a straight answer about it, or that anyone cares enough to get one.

I admittedly have a burr in my bra over the lack of turnout from our government for Thatcher's passing. Not only was she a great ally of the U.S., she was also a really inspiring figure for me, personally, growing up. So yeah, I may not be entirely objective on this. Skipping a Supreme Court judge's funeral just makes me wonder if certain funerals are very low priority for Obama.
I'd go to Mandela's funeral before Thatcher's as well.

Remember how you were criticizing other people's comments about Scalia's death?

You're an awful poster and, if your posting is representative, an awful person.
why don't explain to me what you think I said, smart ass

I believe a lot of people would. But as a representative - the chief representative - of the United States of America, I think there isn't even a hint of a question who was the more important and influential ally to the United States of America between the two, and that deserves a degree of respect if not love. There also isn't a hint of a question who was the better photo opportunity was given our current President's politics. It could all just be bad timing for the event but, again, now we'll never know if it was bad timing or a snub. As someone who voted for Obama twice, I *really* wish he had taken the time to represent our country at Thatcher's funeral. Such an influential woman and great ally to our country deserved that respect. In my opinion, of course.

why don't explain to me what you think I said, smart ass
I went back and realize that I misread this post. Based on your previous post I read it as you asserting that it should be the president is dead.

While you did say as much in a previous thread, you didn't here. My apologies.

If I went to either of them, it would be to piss on their graves. But I'm not a world leader; I have the luxury of being a dick.:)

Don't care what the politics are. If you are a sitting president and a supreme Court Justice dies, you attend. Same goes for Senators and Governors(regardless of state size and importance).

You're absolutely right, if President is capable of attending the funeral of a passing Supreme Court Justice then he needs to be there! We are however talking about the same guy who didn't show up in Paris with the other 44 world leaders after the terror attacks in France!

This is just another example of the President showing is true character.

He's visiting the body as it lies in repose in the SCOTUS building. I honestly don't see the big deal. If Scalia's family had requested Obama to attend and he refused I could see the legitimacy in some anger, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Much ado about nothing.

You're absolutely right, if President is capable of attending the funeral of a passing Supreme Court Justice then he needs to be there! We are however talking about the same guy who didn't show up in Paris with the other 44 world leaders after the terror attacks in France!

This is just another example of the President showing is true character.
I've read enough of your posts to guess that if he were attending you'd characterize it as him trying to politicize things and disrespectful given that whomever he appoints will be antithetical to Scalia's political views.

Well would you want to go to the funeral of the guy you just had assassinated?

Funerals are a drag. I'd skip it too. But I'm not big on token gestures.

Unless the family asked Obama not to attend, this is right up the Federal alley. Obama could easily attend, catch a flight to Boston then jump on Air Force Unó and go golf.

I'm having a hard time caring about this enough to get into an argument about it, but I do think the secret service should keep an eye on second sight.

Back