Which UFC hype train did you jump on that eventually crashed and burned?

probably machida. hard to call a defending champ's path a hype train, but at the time he beat rashad it was being called an 'era' before the fact and all that, and I bought into it. he did look pretty unbeatable for awhile.

I'm on the platinum train just waiting to get derailed. It's coming.

All of them. Every single one.

Uriah Hall is definitely mine.

I bought into the hype after watching all his fights on TUF and even gave him a pass when losing to Gastelum at the TUF Finale (you can tell Gastelum was legit). Definitely expected him to be up there at the top of the division and even fighting for the belt one day, but you guys already know. He just doesn't have the killer instincts to be the champ or at the top of the division. That Mousasi win was crazy though.

Gotta admit, I was pretty high on Lombard when he came over too.

<36>

Houston Alexander
Hector Lombard
Paige Van Zant
Todd Duffee
Roger Huerta
Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou
Brandon Vera
Brandon Thatch
Thomas Almeida
Lando Vanatta (I remember when Sherdog created this hype train. It was insane for a while)

Sage Northcutt (he's young and I like the dude, but he's got a long way to go before he has a number next to his name)

I know there are so many more. I'm sure you guys can help me out here. A poll would be awesome actually.

Which hype train did you fall for?

Conor.

I donno if it was a hype train but I was stoked about Eddie Yagin!

Does Gustafsson count? He hasn't exactly crashed and burned but still

Wtf ?! A lot of people on this forum (not me) think he beat bones and he almost ko's DC and you think he's a hype train? he's been a perennial top 5 LHW for ever

Dustin Hazelett (this one still makes me sad since he retired early)
Vinny Magalhaes
Hatsu Hioki
Kid Yamamoto
Houston Alexander
Vera
Thatch
Erick Silva
Huerta
Sokoudjou
Big Baby from TUF

Last edited:
I was ready for the Machida era, fucking short era lmao.
a guy who was champ and remained in the top five in two weight divisions for most of his career is not a hype train.

Dragon Bless

I was Very HIGH on Yari....

I really thought Yari was going to be able to beat Edgar...that fight was touch to watch....Yari hasn't even fought since....so his hype train pretty much crashed..which is very sad...Yari is very young and still has a ton of promise

All though, if Yari has been making the most out of his time off then it will be worth it and even better in the long run for Yari. Giving him time to mature and grow as a fighter and human

Its up to Yari to turn the brutal Edgar loss into the best thing that's ever happened to him

"Win or learn"

Last edited:
Ubereem after he destroyed Lesnar.

And after the Bigfoot fight...

giphy.gif

Liked for Riki-Oh gif

And does Cain count? I thought after he won the title he was going to be a top contender for heavyweight GOAT......then Cain happened lol

all fighters get to the point where they start losing

Thought Matt Riddle would be the next big thing. Haha

Dont know how a fighter that makes it to Ufc champ can be included but for me Lombard 100%. Dude was on a 24 fight win streak, smashing everyone. The only event I have been to, CFC 12 in Sydney front row seats. Never seen bombs like that thrown in the flesh. When he was coming over to the Ufc I was expecting a title shot very quickly. Even though I thought he beat timmy he went on to go 3-7-1. Now that ladies and gentlemen, is a crash and burn.

Back