Which UFC hype train did you jump on that eventually crashed and burned?

beephin

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Uriah Hall is definitely mine.

I bought into the hype after watching all his fights on TUF and even gave him a pass when losing to Gastelum at the TUF Finale (you can tell Gastelum was legit). Definitely expected him to be up there at the top of the division and even fighting for the belt one day, but you guys already know. He just doesn't have the killer instincts to be the champ or at the top of the division. That Mousasi win was crazy though.

Gotta admit, I was pretty high on Lombard when he came over too.

<36>

Houston Alexander
Hector Lombard
Paige Van Zant
Todd Duffee
Roger Huerta
Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou
Brandon Vera
Brandon Thatch
Thomas Almeida
Lando Vanatta (I remember when Sherdog created this hype train. It was insane for a while)

Sage Northcutt (he's young and I like the dude, but he's got a long way to go before he has a number next to his name)

I know there are so many more. I'm sure you guys can help me out here. A poll would be awesome actually.

Which hype train did you fall for?

Last edited:
Does Gustafsson count? He hasn't exactly crashed and burned but still

Jumped all on the Tarec Saffiedine wagon when he got signed and unfortunately he is probably the biggest bust/waste of talent in modern UFC history.

He came into the UFC at age 26 already the strikeforce champ, BJJ blackbelt, well rounded striking, and he trained at multiple high level camps. He was a UFC champ in the making (or at least a consistent contender)

Most of his performances he has been super gun shy and half the time he doesn't even look like he even wants to be in the octagon in his fights. 5 years since he signed and he has 2 decision wins against non top 25 fighters.

Colossal disappointment

I was ready for the Machida era, fucking short era lmao.

Ngannou but TBH, in my defense, I still have high hopes and I still consider myself a fan.

Jimmy Hettes. Still not sure where he went

I’ll be honest, I thought Brandon Vera was going places..

I used to watch this kid in ROF as an amateur then as a pro. Annihilated every opponent in Round 1. I even made a thread about him and said this guy will be the WW champ in the UFC...his name?

Brandon Thatch.

Hioki. Was so excited for his UFC run

Chuck Oliveira. Not that his career hasn't been fun & above average but I thought he would at least be in a cpl #1 contender fights.

I suppose he is still young & just needs some more experience :/

Suddenly lando fans and plat nation is silent

I used to watch this kid in ROF as an amateur then as a pro. Annihilated every opponent in Round 1. I even made a thread about him and said this guy will be the WW champ in the UFC...his name?

Brandon Thatch.
Wow. I remember that too. HAHA
Added to the OP
Good choice

Back