• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Social Which restaurant cooks the best steak?

Peter Luger Steakhouse - Brooklyn NY

If you need recommendations, feel free to ask

/thread

Peter Luger is phenomenal but the best steak I've ever had was the Porterhouse for 2 at Strip House in midtown NYC. 38 oz + a bunch of sides was enough for 3 hungry dudes. Because it's a bigger cut, I think it's somehow thicker and more tender than the individual-size portions. Tastes like a slab of beef flavored butter. To be fair, I know Luger offers the same cut but I've not had it there - but no way it's better than this. Maybe on par.

photo0jpg.jpg

I'm a ribeye guy but that cut is hard to screw up and I can make it pretty great at home. Medium rare porterhouse at a great steakhouse is something else entirely and I can't do it anywhere near as good at home. The dry aging makes a big difference as well.

Last edited:
I’ve never eaten at Davio’s, passed by it a 1000 times but never set foot inside.

Not sure if it still exists but they used to have counter that offered take out lunch. It was a brown nag deal that you take back to your office. Different dish each day. It was good quality and a great value.

the keg's consistency is probably the best thing it has going for it

apparently there are a few in TX of all places and they do alright

dont be that guy. its good for the price. prolly the best steakhouse at its price point

I have had very good steaks at Barbarians and Jacobb & Co in Toronto. Peter Lugar in NYC is as good as any. I really like Ramsey's steak in vegas too. but you can drop a grand+ at any of these places as opposed to a couple hundred at teh keg.

dont be that guy. its good for the price. prolly the best steakhouse at its price point

I have had very good steaks at Barbarians and Jacobb & Co in Toronto. Peter Lugar in NYC is as good as any. I really like Ramsey's steak in vegas too. but you can drop a grand+ at any of these places as opposed to a couple hundred at teh keg.

i love barberians, haven't been in a few yrs though

Left Bank French place does a wicked steak fries on Santana Row, my Bay Area friends...booked in for Saturday lunch.

lol damn near every city ha a Left Bank restaurant.

French sure can work a flank/skirt steak but hard to compare to a legit marbled rib

i love barberians, haven't been in a few yrs though

I was there March 2020. it was legit the last place I ate beofre this city shutdown for like years.

oh and not a fan of wagu. the texture is too soft, ham like. I like that 30 day dryaged grassfed.

and to all the peter lugar fans, I've only had the primerib there so not a steak cut

Yeah I've been to Jacob & co in Toronto. It's been awhile though, I think they had decent steak, but way too pricey.

I don’t like steak houses cause they’re a fucking rip off. I can just go to Costco and buy a whole tray of prime rib eyes for the same price I’d pay for 1 at a steak house.

I do love Fogo de Chao though. They have a good variety and the Picanha is absolutely amazing.

Yeah I've been to Jacob & co in Toronto. It's been awhile though, I think they had decent steak, but way too pricey.

not sure if you are a baseball fan but I met Dan Shulman in the bathroom at jacobb & co.

I played it cool and just gave him a nod and a finger pistol.

Not sure if it still exists but they used to have counter that offered take out lunch. It was a brown nag deal that you take back to your office. Different dish each day. It was good quality and a great value.

do you remember the steakpit?

first tiem I went there i order a G&T to start and they brought me out the gin on ice and a glass of tonic. I was like "huh?" and the server said "we like to offer diners the choice of how much tonic you want, some people really like to taste the gin".

I guess I was/am not a gin lover b/c not sure i'd enjoy a gin with very little tonic.

do you remember the steakpit?

first tiem I went there i order a G&T to start and they brought me out the gin on ice and a glass of tonic. I was like "huh?" and the server said "we like to offer diners the choice of how much tonic you want, some people really like to taste the gin".

I guess I was/am not a gin lover b/c not sure i'd enjoy a gin with very little tonic.
Sometimes. I’ll order a single, tall in pint glass when I’m out and know I’ll be having a few.

Back