Which Heavy wgt Grappler beats Josh Barnett in Metamoris?

Braulio beating Marcelo had nothing to do with size. It had everything to do with braulio making Marcelo play defensive, which has always been his weakness. Fabio openly stated this when it happened. Marcelo's defense is his offense.

The Jacare, Terere, Braulio, Drysdale (the counter), and Roger matches all have that in common.

I wonder if Marcelo reconsidered his opinion on arm in chokes after braulio choked him out with seatbelt control.

Its more difficult to defend against a bigger and stronger opponent who also is skilled. Maybe Jacare wouldnt have been able to pull of the kimura and hold Marcelo that long in his guard if we wasnt that much stronger than him. Im not saying its pure strenght, but saying size have nothing to with it its not true. Guards are more difficult to break, submissions are more difficult to escape, you get tired faster and techniques in genereal can be harder to pull of. I can agree in the case of Braulio (triangle if i not remember wrong), where it could seem like lack of defense. But common, against Roger? The size was clearly an issue.

I said it's a common occurrence. Terere wasn't bigger than Marcelo. Nor was Dustin at Brown belt.

Does size play a role? Of course. However, the main reason he lost those matches were he couldn't get his offensive going. Marcelo loves to attack. That's his game.

I wonder if Marcelo reconsidered his opinion on arm in chokes after braulio choked him out with seatbelt control.

Doubt it. No arm chokes fit his stock frame.

I was more talking about Braulios triangle on Marcelo in Dubai anyways.

I think Chael Sonnen mentioned an interest in opposing him. He's around 225 pounds these days too.

I believe Chael is about 248 right now, just starting to really get back in shape had his first baby.

Now, Chael's instructor 300 lb 6 time World Champ Fabiano Scherner would have a good chance of beating Josh or at least Draw not smashed.

Cyborg against Josh would be interesting, not sure if he beats him. Buchecha and Roger are the best bets to beat Josh, Werdum could be competitive. Hector Lombard has been calling Josh out for a grappling match so that could be fun

I said it's a common occurrence. Terere wasn't bigger than Marcelo. Nor was Dustin at Brown belt.

Does size play a role? Of course. However, the main reason he lost those matches were he couldn't get his offensive going. Marcelo loves to attack. That's his game.

Don't think so, the biggest factor was size for the reasons stated above.

lombard would get torn apart. i'd love to see it.

It would be fun though, rumor was that in trianing, josh was able to hold Hector down and hector could not get up. they've both improved since then and i'd love to see the exchanges on the feet with takedowns.

Roger, Werdum, Buchecha and Trans should all have a good shot at subbing him and I'd be surprised if either one was subbed by Barnett.

lombard would get torn apart. i'd love to see it.

Lombard is not much of a ground grappler at all, in his fights he doesn't do much besides pinning. There are many welterweights I would put in front of him grappling wise.

Roger, Werdum, Buchecha and Trans should all have a good shot at subbing him and I'd be surprised if either one was subbed by Barnett.

Isn't Buchecha focusing on MMA? Has he completed since Worlds injury?

buchecha would tear barnett a new one.... a real HW athlete BJJ fighter not some unathletic guy like roger

As far as heavyweight guys? Buchecha, Cyborg, and Roger would be the three I'd like to see the most.

Back