Which GOAT had the worst career ending?

giphy.gif

/thread i guess

Even the fat guy is surprised that he knocked him out.

{<jordan}

Penn for sure. But Silva has had a rough ending. Between getting caught cheating with PEDs and being something like 1-8-1 in his last 10. That's pretty brutal.

He's 4th in the Sherdog all time GOAT poll. Had he retired after Weidman (or before) he would likely be 1 or 2.

Prime Penn would've beaten most of those guys who he lost to in the end of his career. But I guess the same could be said about Fedor.

Khabib and GSP. They retired to avoid toughter opposition.
Anderson, Fedor and BJ fell down fighting like men.
Nice spin on things, but willingly putting yourself in there to get KO’d and subbed over and over by subpar competition while not being able to pull off a win shows you probably weren’t as good as you think you were, and I don’t think Penn won a fight past 31 years old

Penn isn't a goat. Legend sure, but he's not even the best in his division's history
Point is that he was considered to be in the discussion at one point before the horrific end to his career. In his prime he was a real joy to watch because he was one of first truly complete fighters. He had excellent stand up compared to others at that time. Had world class ju-jitsu, great take-down defense, and an iron chin. Of course the way his career ended had made everyone forget that unfortunately.

Spider for me.

Lost the title in embarassing fashion.
Broke the leg on the rematch.
Then no contest fight because of PEDs + suspension.
Lost two more.
Wins one but very controversial with most of the media saying he should've lost.
Busted for PEDS again...
More loses and a TKO to finish it all off.

Seing how high he was when he was the champ it is quite a fall.

Personally it don’t get worse than bj penn history making losing streak in the ufc. It’s like watching your dad get beat up. Shit is hard to watch. I watch probably all the cards he has been on but always skip his fight because it makes me way to nervous watching him and I’m already expecting the worst before the fight even starts.

Really hard to argue against BJ Penn. The guy couldnt even beat up a fatty outside the peelers.

I have to say Fedor and he is my favorite of the GOATs

Aldo has had an amazing career. He is probably the most underrated GOAT

Personally it don’t get worse than bj penn history making losing streak in the ufc. It’s like watching your dad get beat up. Shit is hard to watch. I watch probably all the cards he has been on but always skip his fight because it makes me way to nervous watching him and I’m already expecting the worst before the fight even starts.
Ohhh shit, I forgot about BJ. I think the greatness of his fall from grace actually outshines his greatness of his MMA career and that is saying something because he had an amazing career.

If we expand GOAT to include one-time-divisional-GOAT-candidates, then Jens Pulver going 6 and 13 against increasingly irrelevant competition, including four first round losses in a row to close out his Zuffa-run, is worth a mention.

After the Conor loss he still had 3 of the best performances of his career against Frankie who he shut out and Frankie was in purime form heading into it with the run he was on. As well as the TKOs of Moicano and Jeremy. He lost to Max and Volk who are easily the top 2 FWs but he was competitive with Max and even up 2-0 in the 1st fight.,

When he dropped down many thought he beat Moraes who was the #1 contender. Against Yan who is the best BW in the world currently Aldo was 2-2 going into the 5th round. He got stopped but he was competitive again. Not like hes getting blown out. And hes fighting the best competition too
To be fair, Moicano and Stephens are not elite level guys, they're fringe top 10 journeymen, and that's about the level of guys Aldo can beat these days.

I agree that Aldo is still a tough fight for anyone, but he's just not able to find a way to win when it really matters anymore. I know most of the guys he's fighting are killers, but it's clear he's dropped a few levels, and although I would still consider him a very good fighter, he's a far cry from the dominant champ he used to be.

Penn is not a GOAT.

And I'm surprised no one is mentioning Aldo, he fell pretty hard too.
I think no one has mentioned Aldo because in all the losses he’s been competitive and he sprinkled in a couple of W’s against low end top 10 guys

Ohhh shit, I forgot about BJ. I think the greatness of his fall from grace actually outshines his greatness of his MMA career and that is saying something because he had an amazing career.
No way! If u actually seen bj fight in his prime and saw personally how he performed to what he became most wouldn’t even consider or count his fight late in his career because that was a guy isn’t not even 1/4 the fighter he use to be.

No way! If u actually seen bj fight in his prime and saw personally how he performed to what he became most wouldn’t even consider or count his fight late in his career because that was a guy isn’t not even 1/4 the fighter he use to be.
You're right. I was just agreeing with you saying that BJ has had the worst career downfall and trying to use hyperbole to be funny. I failed apparently lol
A fighters downfall doesn't have any effect on how great they were in their primes.

You're right. I was just agreeing with you saying that BJ has had the worst career downfall and trying to use hyperbole to be funny. I failed apparently lol
A fighters downfall doesn't have any effect on how great they were in their primes.
I understand what your saying I thought u were a new fan who don’t know shot about penn all they know is a guy who knows how to lose, but not the ducking savage who was making his opps squirt blood and him licking them off him blood thirsty vampire.

Back