• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Which branch is superior - The Air Force or The Navy?

I saw the news just today report another training accident with helicopter. I think it's clear these guys need more training and proof of competence BEFORE they even get into the helicopter for training.

Well, what caused it? It could be a maintenance issue...

What is the deal with the U.S. Navy having ships running into other ships and the U.S. Air Force not being able to maintain its B-1 fleet in 2017? That's where maintaining soldiers and Marines is much easier.

Chair Force vs. Gravy
hm
4d3ecd9a6df7af4d1932ba51846ef557.jpg

Lol I knew an 0311 who was so big he couldn't fit into the largest uniforms we had. He had to use boot bands to hold his pants up because they wouldn't button. It was fucking crazy. He constantly failed his pft and composition tests, but they never could get him to change. He just didn't give a fuck.

Christ, that's a big boy! No, does not pass the height and weight standards. Than again, back from 2004 to 2008 the U.S. Army and U.S. Marines were desperate for bodies to fill deployment quotas. So, all sorts of waivers started to pop up. Remember 'blue-to-green' when U.S. Air Force guys got a bonus for joining the U.S. Army? Also, direct commissioning in the U.S. Army. Infantry. No OCS. Those were desperate times in an all volunteer Army. Yeah, the standards were dropped and a lot of 'shits' had the opportunity to join. Than the military decided to downsize.

...and here is how the Marines used to deal with 'fat boys':

Last edited:
Just my personal opinion but I feel like you shouldn't be able to become an officer without first having spending 2 years as enlisted. The best officers I worked with were all mustangs (OE).

That's exactly what my sister did and she retired commander and went on to establish Coast Guards for a couple countrys.

Both her sons graduated west point so I wouldn't be surprised to find sis or her husband in joint chiefs.

Lol I knew an 0311 who was so big he couldn't fit into the largest uniforms we had. He had to use boot bands to hold his pants up because they wouldn't button. It was fucking crazy. He constantly failed his pft and composition tests, but they never could get him to change. He just didn't give a fuck.

608ef96ee3557cd2874a3dfab44b7af1.jpg

My cousin is in Navy SEAL training.

...ask him about the weekends off. When I first heard of that I thought they were joking.

The U.S. Army Ranger School is a 61-day combat leadership course oriented toward small-unit tactics. No, no weekends off. Very little food and sleep the entire time. Same for the U.S. Army 'Q' Course for Special Forces. Even in basic training we had no weekends off. No weekends off in combat either. SEALs have it easy.

Last edited:
Well, what caused it? It could be a maintenance issue...
If so, maintenance guys need more training too before they screw with the actual copters.

Here in the news, a while back two planes crashed (one into mountain, one under freeway in ditch) and they both were rented from the same place.

If so, maintenance guys need more training too before they screw with the actual copters.

Absolutely, but shit breaks. Even your car engine or tires. Parts can go bad. Only problem in the air is that you can't pull over to the side of the road. But yeah, U.S. Navy ships colliding does not fall under that category. That's just plain ignorance. We still don't know what caused the helicopter or the F-16 to crash.

According to @Agent Mulder's Hair, the U.S. Navy and the U.S. Air Force are the smart branches of the military.

I have a lot of respect for all branches, but generally the marines and army are viewed as grunts and not rocket scientists, ya know what I mean? Doesn't mean there aren't exceptions, there certainly are. But I'm speaking in general terms of how everybody views each branch. And hey, I was AF and I spent many months in tents in the freakin desert with little to no amenities. AF doesn't always get the nice comfy life like people think. But yeah a lot of times we did, I admit :D

True, but AF has pararescuemen, combat controllers, TACP's, Ravens and bunch of other special teams that are actually secret....not many people even know about them or what they do. But they're pretty badass. And I dig the fact that those teams are still kind of secret...like they're supposed to be. Ya know?

PJ's are Alpha AF. Their training pipeline is one of the longest and most arduous of any Special Operations unit. It takes almost two years to become fully qualified, and over 80% fail the course.

They don't call it, "Superman School" for nothing:cool:

I worked on computers and electronics in the Navy. We were always told we were better b/c we were out there by ourselves and couldn't rely on tech reps or engineers while we were out at sea. I went to school for two years before I went to my first boat.

I think how smart a tech is depends on the individual to be honest.

...ask him about the weekends off. When I first heard of that I thought they were joking.

The U.S. Army Ranger School is a 61-day combat leadership course oriented toward small-unit tactics. No, no weekends off. Very little food and sleep the entire time. Same for the U.S. Army 'Q' Course for Special Forces. Even in basic training we had no weekends off. No weekends off in combat either. SEALs have it easy.

The grass is not always greener on other prairies.

Being an Air Force vet, I'm obviously partial to the Air Force. I mean, I'm not gay, so why join the navy?

One of my biggest pet peeves with the Air Force though:

Army- soldier
Navy- sailor
Marines- marine
Air Force- "well, I'm a (insert rank here)."

Technically, we're all airmen, but nobody above E-4 wants to think of them selves as airmen, because the first four enlisted ranks all have the word "airman" in the name, and in the Air Force, the word "airman" is equated with being stupid and worthless.

Then, you have the brass talking about a lack of identity in the Air Force, so they had someone come up with a stupid Airman's Creed that everyone was expected to memorize (I never did). Hey, here's an idea: you want a better identity, change the culture that made the word "airman" practically an insult!

I would give a slight edge to the Navy. Both branches are currently tops at providing career opportunities beyond the service. Both branches are awesome for long term enlistments.

A buddy of mine went into the AF right out of high school in 1990. He’s still going strong, and god damn does he have a pretty sweet life. He always said he was never interested in marrying. So he was MGTOW before it was trendy, but not in the pussy way because he was scorned or something. Basically when he’s not on duty, it’s muscle cars and bars.

Back