• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Which branch is superior - The Air Force or The Navy?

I respect all branches. Not sure who is more superior, but I know the Air Force gets ragged on the most.

If I knew what I know now back when I first started my career or even before I did my internship I would have considered going in my career field as an officer. Probably the Air Force. By now I would be 15 years in at the very least be a seasoned Major (O-4) or possibly a Lieutenant Colonel (O-5). I've been working at a military hospital for almost 10 years now and many of my collegues are active duty. Salary and benefits is also higher then most of the private/public sector in our career field, not to mention you can retire in 20 years with a pension with likely some amount of disability. My old boss retired after 25? years or so at a LtCol and received 100% disability in her upper 40s. She never has to work again if she chooses. My other boss is a Col (O-6) and is close to 30 years AD and will get 100% disability when she retires. She will be set when she retires in her 50s. She actually planned to retire a few years ago, but got promoted so she decided to stay in a few more years.

My brother in law was a commander in the coast guard, moved laterally to captain in the navy where he did a tour in afghanistan, and then on to army where he's a colonel.

He may have the record but I told him he could put it out of reach by going reserve in the air force.

He's now securing traveling parties in places like monrovia, liberia and even hotter areas he can't tell me of.

My dad was in the airforce so airforce. I wanted to be a fighter pilot when i was a kid. And not those gay F-18s the Navy uses, but an F-22.

F-14 is all you need.

If it was good enough for Maverick, it's good enough for you.

F-14 is all you need.

If it was good enough for Maverick, it's good enough for you.

As a kid I dreamed about being an F-14 pilot. I was legit sad when I found out it was no longer in service. I'm not American so I couldn't have joined the USAF anyway.

I respect all branches. Not sure who is more superior, but I know the Air Force gets ragged on the most.

If I knew what I know now back when I first started my career or even before I did my internship I would have considered going in my career field as an officer. Probably the Air Force. By now I would be 15 years in at the very least be a seasoned Major (O-4) or possibly a Lieutenant Colonel (O-5).

Well put. All branches serve their purpose in different ways. I do rag on the U.S. Air Force but those boys do great work when it comes to supporting soldiers on the ground with airstrikes. Thank God for that. Great respect for the Air Force and their work. Also, when the Air Force was part of the U.S. Army during WWII, those boys had 'balls' flying those B-17 over Germany. High casualty rate.

I spent 20 years in the U.S. Army. I started out as an enlisted guy, went through OCS, and became a 2nd Lieutenant in the Infantry. I joined the military in the late 80s. Fresh out of College. Yeah, that was a few years back. BDUs were the main uniform. The ACUs came out in 2004 and I retired in 2008.

Not sure that being an officer is all that folks think it is cracked out to be. If I had to do it again, I would probably remain in the enlisted ranks. I like working with soldiers not paperwork. It all depends on the branch of service and MOS. There is a huge difference between combat arms and other MOSs. I went from Infantry to Civil Affairs and that was a difference like night and day. Not just the fact we had women in CA, but the whole branch functioned in a different way. Also, a different frame of mind.

I loved my enlisted time and my time up to Major, (O-4). I enjoyed working with and being around other soldiers. That all ended when I hit O-4. As a field grade officer you are going to be spending most of your time in an office behind a desk talking on the phone, answering emails, planning, and logistics. I worked in the S-3 shop, Operations and Training - Battalion level. Meetings, briefings, and lots and lots of PowerPoint presentations. Time with soldiers was over. I only fired my weapon to qualify once a year. Not what I had signed up for, so when I hit my 20 years I got out. Being a 2nd Lieutenant in an Infantry Platoon was probably the most exciting part of those 20 years.

But the U.S. Army and the U.S. Marines do pay a price when it comes to war with a combat MOS. Navy and Air Force boys are definitely safer. We continue to pay that price after coming home. 20 veterans a day committing suicide. More death in the United States than Iraq and Afghanistan...

@Agent Mulder's Hair, @jgarner

Last edited:
Well put. All branches serve their purpose in different ways. I do rag on the U.S. Air Force but those boys do great work when it comes to supporting soldiers on the ground with airstrikes. Thank God for that. Great respect for the Air Force and their work. Also, when the Air Force was part of the U.S. Army during WWII, those boys had 'balls' flying those B-17 over Germany. High casualty rate.

I spent 20 years in the U.S. Army. I started out as an enlisted guy, went through OCS, and became a 2nd Lieutenant in the Infantry. I joined the military in the late 80s. Fresh out of College. Yeah, that was a few years back. BDUs were the main uniform. The ACUs came out in 2004 and I retired in 2008.

Not sure that being an officer is all that folks think it is cracked out to be. If I had to do it again, I would probably remain in the enlisted ranks. I like working with soldiers not paperwork. It all depends on the branch of service and MOS. There is a huge difference between combat arms and other MOSs. I went from Infantry to Civil Affairs and that was a difference between night and day. Not just the fact we had women in CA, but the whole branch functioned in a different way. Also, a different frame of mind.

I loved my enlisted time and my time up to Major, (O-4). I enjoyed working with and being around other soldiers. That all ended when I hit O-4. As a field grade officer you are going to be spending most of your time in an office behind a desk talking on the phone, answering emails, planning, and logistics. I worked in the S-3 shop, Operations and Training. Meetings, briefings, and lots and lots of PowerPoint presentations. Time with soldiers was over. I only fired my weapon to qualify once a year. Not what I had signed up for, so when I hit my 20 years I got out. Being a 2nd Lieutenant in an Infantry Platoon was probably the most exciting part of those 20 years.

But the U.S. Army and the U.S. Marines do pay a price when it comes to war with a combat MOS. Navy and Air Force boys are definitely safer. We continue to pay that price after coming home. 20 veterans a day committing suicide. More death in the United States than Iraq and Afghanistan...

Just my personal opinion but I feel like you shouldn't be able to become an officer without first having spending 2 years as enlisted. The best officers I worked with were all mustangs (OE).

Just my personal opinion but I feel like you shouldn't be able to become an officer without first having spending 2 years as enlisted. The best officers I worked with were all mustangs (OE).

Holy crap I think this is the first time I've ever agreed with you jgarner :D but yeah I definitely agree

Not sure that being an officer is all that folks think it is cracked out to be. If I had to do it again, I would probably remain in the enlisted ranks. I like working with soldiers not paperwork. It all depends on the branch of service and MOS. There is a huge difference between combat arms and other MOSs. I went from Infantry to Civil Affairs and that was a difference like night and day. Not just the fact we had women in CA, but the whole branch functioned in a different way. Also, a different frame of mind.

I loved my enlisted time and my time up to Major, (O-4). I enjoyed working with and being around other soldiers. That all ended when I hit O-4. As a field grade officer you are going to be spending most of your time in an office behind a desk talking on the phone, answering emails, planning, and logistics. I worked in the S-3 shop, Operations and Training. Meetings, briefings, and lots and lots of PowerPoint presentations. Time with soldiers was over. I only fired my weapon to qualify once a year. Not what I had signed up for, so when I hit my 20 years I got out. Being a 2nd Lieutenant in an Infantry Platoon was probably the most exciting part of those 20 years.

if all this is real, then you missed out brosheph. combat is the shizznat.
ben hai bridge conflict in 74, the tet of course. off the chain. bodies, bullets and beers as we
used to say. *later added bongs. war is hell. peace is hellier.

Neither is superior, but the Air Force has the majority of the nuclear arsenal. "The 'smart' armed forces"? Army and Marines are dumbasses? Just remember that nobody goes to war over airspace or water. Yeah, we (Army and Marines) do the fighting and dying while the Air Force gets 3 hot meals and a cot. Showers and flushing toilets too.
Well...if you were smart enough to join thr air force, you wouldn't be fighting and dying, no?

Holy crap I think this is the first time I've ever agreed with you jgarner :D but yeah I definitely agree
<Fedor23>

Careful!

Get too chummy with me and I might turn you into a skeptic who relies on solid evidence and peer reviewed science for information.

Well...if you were smart enough to join thr air force, you wouldn't be fighting and dying, no?

Yes. But planes and ships never appealed to me. I wanted to be where the action was. Call me stupid. I loved rifles since I was a kid, and no one in my family was in the military. Also, there were plenty of soldiers who never deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan. That's another story. Again, it all depends on your MOS and the needs of the Army. But to your question, I think the U.S. Air Force is the safest branch with plenty of safe MOSs.

I love this girl. Yeah, nice girls in the U.S. Air Force...

Last edited:
I saw the news just today report another training accident with helicopter. I think it's clear these guys need more training and proof of competence BEFORE they even get into the helicopter for training.

I thought the Air Force was one notch above the Postal Service

As a kid I dreamed about being an F-14 pilot. I was legit sad when I found out it was no longer in service. I'm not American so I couldn't have joined the USAF anyway.

I know those Feels, brother. I felt the same way when I found out the Schutzstaffel had been disbanded:(

trollface.jpg

I was a Navy man back in the early 80s. They showed us a promotional video of a tomahawk cruise missile in action. After being fired from the sub it surfaces taking to the air in the most awkward and dorky flight pattern one could imagine. It pretty much looks like someone is holding it at a 45 deg angle moving it across the screen on a string. Well, it approaches an air strip complete with mock planes and tower. It proceeds to drop half its payload on the grounded planes reducing them to scrap metal, drops the other half on the runway blasting crater in to the strip, then turns and slams in to the control tower.
I think we had about twenty of those on the 688 I was assigned to. I could be wrong as I worked in the engine room.

Back