Which animals could a human kill with swords?

I would trade the cape for a few dogs and take on any mammal. The dogs will tire the animal out by constantly attacking from the rear allowing you to focus on targeting its vitals with a pointy object.

-eskimos-hunting-a-polar-bear-mary-evans-picture-library.jpg

I'm talking about something along the lines of a bull fighter. They kill a bull with nothing but swords and a cape.

Now of course they study the bull's movements and attack patterns and practice for years first, so it got me thinking, what other large animals could you do this with?

A tiger has more weapons than a bull and can change direction faster, so I think it would be much harder than a bull. But then who knows? Humans are smart and if someone dedicated their life to studying a tiger's attack tendencies perhaps he could pull it off.

What about bears? Lions? Crocs? Hippos? Elephants?

Disclaimer: I think bull fighting is disgusting and I do not support it. This is purely a hypothetical discussion on what might be possible.

I read a story once about some dudes that went to Peru or some shit to go on a 2 week hike through the jungle. They were warned in advance about jaguars so when they met up with the tour guides they brought swords with them. The tour guides were curious why they had them and they explained they brought them in case they encountered a Jaguar. The tour guides laughed and said if a Jaguar wants you it will have you. Coming from dudes literally living in the jungle I think that speaks volumes. With jaguars there is no fighting chance. They’re the most elusive and dangerous big cats out there. They can’t even be studied because they’re the only cats with no migrational pattern and will just roam with no discernible projection for 1000’s of miles. They hunt at night and their bite is more powerful than any other cat as they’re the only ones with enough force to crack skulls. Fuck trying to lacerate your neck.. their mouths are big enough to fit around your head and they will fucking crush it like a grape.

A skilled swordsman.

I'd say medium cats maybe like the size of a cheetah or mountain lion. Maybe bigger animals but it'd probably be like a double KO.

i.e. Human mortally wounds animal and animal kills human.

I feel like some are underestimating swords. Y'all forget that humans survived without guns in the middle of jungles and shit for a very long time?

Historically, the spear is a much better evidence based weapon for hunting lion, tiger, and boar than the sword is (and literally any dangerous or non dangerous game).

The sword is more of a dueling weapon, a sign of nobility like a sidearm on an officer.

The spear is the fundamental weapon of mankind in hunting and pre gunpowder warfare.
Yup I said swords intentionally because I think we already know humans can effectively hunt with spears.

I don't think many dudes in history have fought animals with swords

Yeah, but they torcher the bull before they let it loose. That's not exactly a one on one fight.

I read a story once about some dudes that went to Peru or some shit to go on a 2 week hike through the jungle. They were warned in advance about jaguars so when they met up with the tour guides they brought swords with them. The tour guides were curious why they had them and they explained they brought them in case they encountered a Jaguar. The tour guides laughed and said if a Jaguar wants you it will have you. Coming from dudes literally living in the jungle I think that speaks volumes. With jaguars there is no fighting chance. They’re the most elusive and dangerous big cats out there. They can’t even be studied because they’re the only cats with no migrational pattern and will just roam with no discernible projection for 1000’s of miles. They hunt at night and their bite is more powerful than any other cat as they’re the only ones with enough force to crack skulls. Fuck trying to lacerate your neck.. their mouths are big enough to fit around your head and they will fucking crush it like a grape.

That's cool, but I don't think a jaguar has spent as much time practicing triangle chokes as I have. I would choke its ass out and turn its pelt into some tear away Velcro pants.

That's cool, but I don't think a jaguar has spent as much time practicing triangle chokes as I have. I would choke its ass out and turn its pelt into some tear away Velcro pants.
What about a Jaguar skin gi. You’d be the coolest dude in class.

I'd say anything but a Hippo, Rhino, or Elephant.

A moose, bear, or big cat might get lucky.

If you could forge a particular sword based on the prey your fighting the odds would increase.

I'd take a spear any day though.
Intelligent response.

Spears have actually been proven to the best non-shooting weapons in combat by far judged by their effectivity.
(They're comically easy to craft as well, especially compared to swords).

A man with a sword would be at a disadvantage against almost any animal his own size or bigger... Humans are pathetic at fighting.

Not saying that the human couldn't score a killing blow, but most likely they'd be disarmed by the animals initial attack that would be too fast and/or powerful to parry.
Facts.

I feel like some are underestimating swords. Y'all forget that humans survived without guns in the middle of jungles and shit for a very long time?
Bow and arrow and spears were what was mainly used (and for some indigenous tribes still are) instead of swords, because the former are way easier to craft and ironically, they're the far more effective weapons too.

I'm talking about something along the lines of a bull fighter. They kill a bull with nothing but swords and a cape.

Now of course they study the bull's movements and attack patterns and practice for years first, so it got me thinking, what other large animals could you do this with?

A tiger has more weapons than a bull and can change direction faster, so I think it would be much harder than a bull. But then who knows? Humans are smart and if someone dedicated their life to studying a tiger's attack tendencies perhaps he could pull it off.

What about bears? Lions? Crocs? Hippos? Elephants?

Disclaimer: I think bull fighting is disgusting and I do not support it. This is purely a hypothetical discussion on what might be possible.
A skilled swordsman would have at least a 50/50 chance to kill the following big predatory animals in an open area:
  • Any type of crocodile
  • Cheetah
  • Leopard
  • Jaguar (not too sure though)
Not sure about the herbivore animals.

A skilled swordsman would have at least a 50/50 chance to kill the following big predatory animals in an open area:
  • Any type of crocodile
  • Cheetah
  • Leopard
  • Jaguar (not too sure though)

Not sure if I would put cheetahs in the same category as leopards or jaguars. I think the swordsman would have a significantly better chance than 50% against a cheetah.

You could give me a Hattori Hanzo sword and I still wouldn't want to go against a raging chimp.

If you land on most animals, they would run away before either one of you would be killed. The most dangerous part is if the sword is knocked out of your hands and then you get killed. But if you make a solid hit on even some of the most dangerous predators, their flight instincts would kick in. They want to survive more than they want to kill. I doubt it would work on a hippo or a rhino or an elephant, though. And like another poster said, a spear is much more effective than a sword. Sword is more effective on humans.

Back