Social Where Trump stands on his campaign pledges as he reaches halfway mark

The promise wasn’t to simply undo the ACA, which failed btw, it was to improve healthcare by expanding coverage to everyone and making it more affordable. That’s a massive promise he failed to deliver on and has zero shot of delivering. His number one promise, wall paid for by Mexico, also has zero shot of getting done.

He basically got tax cuts and deregulation done, the low hanging fruit of right wing policy.

He successfully abandoned our western allies but that’s a huge negative that he followed through on. It’s being reported that North Korea has better nuclear capabilities than before he took office (fail).

Going by his own promises he’s a massive failure.

The promise wasn’t to simply undo the ACA, which failed btw, it was to improve healthcare by expanding coverage to everyone and making it more affordable. That’s a massive promise he failed to deliver on and has zero shot of delivering. His number one promise, wall paid for by Mexico, also has zero shot of getting done.

He basically got tax cuts and deregulation done, the low hanging fruit of right wing policy.

He successfully abandoned our western allies but that’s a huge negative that he followed through on. It’s being reported that North Korea has better nuclear capabilities than before he took office (fail).

There's a lot of revisionism on what he promised. Not in this thread specifically but generally speaking. People conveniently leaving out the details of his promises.

Even his tax cuts didn't deliver on what he promised.

There's a lot of revisionism on what he promised. Not in this thread specifically but generally speaking. People conveniently leaving out the details of his promises.

Foreal!
The tax cut bullshit is laughable..I’m not sure who got the awesome tax cut but I sure didn’t!

Good point. Trump is painfully vague but he’s even failed to deliver on what little detail he did promise.

Lotta work put into the OP, always worth a like.

I haven't been against every move Trump has made.

I just wish someone else would make em, I can't respect this guy.

I respect that he made himself into a multi-billionaire(or is it millionaire now?) and POTUS.

But you're right. He's not a likeable person by any means.

However, I didn't vote for him due to him being a Nice guy.

I voted for him 'cause he wasn't Hillary.

luckyshot could've ran for President instead of Trump, and I would've voted for him instead of Hillary. <Lmaoo>

lol my favorite one about the tax cuts was when Trump said they'll be so simple you could do your return on the back of a napkin.

I respect that he made himself into a multi-billionaire(or is it millionaire now?) and POTUS.

But you're right. He's not a likeable person by any means.

However, I didn't vote for him due to him being a Nice guy.

I voted for him 'cause he wasn't Hillary.

luckyshot could've ran for President instead of Trump, and I would've voted for him instead of Hillary. <Lmaoo>
I voted against him because he's Trump.

We keep being served these shit sandwiches for the highest office.
Ugh

I voted against him because he's Trump.

We keep being served these shit sandwiches for the highest office.
Ugh

You know why?

Because our Government is a neverending SHIT BUFFET consisting of people whose only goal is to make sure they stay in office for as long as possible while collecting Tax money from the American People, by way of the IRS .

No wonder @sniper hates these assholes.

You know why?

Because our Government is a neverending SHIT BUFFET consisting of people whose only goal is to make sure they stay in office for as long as possible while collecting Tax money from the American People, by way of the IRS .

No wonder @sniper hates these assholes.
You're not wrong sir

<Lmaoo>
Fred Trump and the fact his older brother drank himself to death made him a billionaire. He did not make shit.

But if we change what he said on the campaign then he is a success

lol my favorite one about the tax cuts was when Trump said they'll be so simple you could do your return on the back of a napkin.
And Paul Ryan releases pictures of him with a post card and showed the simple calculation. Turns out he was full of shit. (He was always a fraud)

Not delivered: taco trucks on every corner.

And for that, he can rot in hell.

btw did anybody point out that this is only the quarter-way mark?

Trump 2020!

The tax cuts were their only real goal. That’s all the gop cares about. That and deregulation.

Where Trump stands on his campaign pledges as he reaches halfway mark

Come Sunday, President Trump will officially be halfway through his White House term.

As he reaches that milestone in his presidency, we offer this look at some of the promises Trump made from the campaign trail – and where he stands on delivering them.

Promises kept

Approving tax cuts: As a candidate, Trump promised to simplify the tax code and create massive cuts for Americans. He signed the $1.5 trillion tax overhaul with the most extensive rewrite of the tax code in decades in December 2017. It cut the corporate tax rate and doubled the standard deduction, among numerous other changes.

Exiting from the Iran deal: Calling it “decaying and rotten,” Trump withdrew the U.S. from the Iran nuclear deal in May 2018. By November, the Trump administration said it restored previously lifted sanctions on Iran. Trump had promised to tear up the deal while on the campaign trail.

Upping NATO nation spending: Trump often criticized NATO countries for not paying their “fair share” and had suggested he would only come to the defense of nations that fulfilled their financial obligations. After some – at-times controversial – discussions between Trump and other leaders, NATO leaders pledged their “unwavering commitment” to boost defense spending in July 2018.

Creating a hotline for veterans: By November 2017, the Department of Veterans Affairs said a 24-hour White House hotline was fully functional to help veterans – fulfilling one of Trump’s campaign promises. Veterans are able to connect with an actual person via the special line.

Taking no salary: Trump promised not to take the $400,000 presidential salary. He’s kept that promise, donating portions of the money to various Cabinet departments.

Blocking White House officials’ foreign lobbying: One of the very first campaign promises Trump kept was banning White House officials for life from lobbying on behalf of a foreign government. This, he achieved by way of an executive order.

Exiting from the Paris climate accord: As a candidate, Trump promised to “cancel” the Paris Climate Agreement, a pact by nearly 200 nations to voluntarily reduce their greenhouse gas emissions to fight climate change. Former President Barack Obama used his power as president to join the agreement without a vote in the legislature. Trump announced in June 2017 that the U.S. was pulling out of the agreement.

Bombing ISIS: Trump famously vowed to “bomb the s--- out of” ISIS as a candidate. In April 2017, the U.S. military dropped its largest non-nuclear bomb on an ISIS tunnel complex in Afghanistan.

Moving a key embassy: In May 2018, Trump fulfilled a key campaign promise by opening the U.S. Embassy in Jerusalem and recognizing the city as the “true capital” of Israel. The international community largely does not recognize Jerusalem as Israel’s capital as it is claimed by both Israel and the Palestinians. Previously, the U.S. kept its embassy in Tel Aviv, like other countries.

Partial progress

Ending Obama’s health care law: Trump often promised to “completely repeal” the Affordable Care Act, widely known as ObamaCare. That hasn’t happened – despite multiple legislative attempts – but Trump has dismantled portions of the landmark health care law throughout his presidency. His administration rolled back the individual and contraceptive mandates, paved the way for “alternatives” to health insurance and ended certain cost-sharing subsidy payments.

Reducing North Korea’s nuclear arsenal: Trump said he would talk to North Korean leader Kim Jong Un regarding his nuclear arsenal during the campaign – and the pair did meet in June 2018. However, there’s been little tangible progress on the vague denuclearization agreement the two reached at that meeting in Singapore. In fact, since then, several private analysts have published reports detailing continuing North Korean development of nuclear and missile technology.

Reversing Obama’s Cuba policies: During the campaign, Trump promised to roll back the “concessions” his predecessor gave to Cuba. In 2017, Trump reinstated some restrictions, but largely left many of Obama’s measures in place.

Not delivered

Building a border wall with Mexico's money: Trump’s two-year anniversary comes amid the nation’s longest-ever government shutdown as he and Democrats are at an impasse over funding for a border wall. The president has demanded more than $5 billion for the wall, which was one of his most oft-touted campaign promises. Trump also repeatedly said Mexico would pay for the wall. It remains unclear whether Trump will make progress on building more sections of a border wall during his time in office, but he has seemingly acknowledged Mexico won't directly pay for the project (though the president still maintains that money resulting from a new trade pact with Mexico can still cover costs).

Ending funding to sanctuary cities: Trump said he would block federal funds from going to so-called sanctuary cities – places that limit how much local law enforcement can cooperate with federal immigration authorities – during the campaign. He tried to do so with an executive order, but it’s been blocked in court.

Creating a commission on radical Islam: Trump said one of his first acts as president would be to “establish a commission on radical Islam – which will include reformist voices in the Muslim community who will hopefully work with us.” As of now, there is no such commission.

Establishing Kate’s Law: Trump said one of his first moves would be to request Congress pass “Kate’s Law,” which would increase punishments for illegal re-entry into the U.S. The bill, named for the woman who was fatally shot by an undocumented immigrant in 2015, passed the House but not the Senate.

Bringing back harsh interrogation methods: Trump said he would approve “in a heartbeat” waterboarding as a form of interrogation. So far he hasn’t implemented a policy change (Obama banned the method during his presidency), and Trump’s CIA director has said torture doesn’t work as an interrogation technique.

>>>> Well alrighty then. Sounds about right.

In my opinion, Trump has done a great job in a 2 yr time period considering the resistance from the communist left.

He has done more in 2 yrs than what Obama did in 8.

Hope to have 6 more years of Trump so the bias media and the democrat party's collective heads would explode. <Jaime01>

Re. Tax cuts
yes that is a somewhat major action by the Pres.

Re. ending the Iran deal
Yes he did say he would end it and did end it. But he shouldn't be lauded for this. He was simply acting in Israel's interest, not ours.

Re. Nato spending
Yeah that is a positive

Re. forgoing his salary
He shouldn't get any credit for this, as it is peanuts to him and very good P.R.
He has made a lot of money from the government by vacationing at his properties.

Re. bombing ISIS
He shouldn't get any credit for this. The US was attacking ISIS before he came to power. All he did was continue where Obama left off.

Re. Embassy move
This again was done for Israel's benefit, not ours.

-
You missed crediting him for getting tough with China on trade, though he needs to go further. And screwing over ZTE.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back