when someone's gf sits in

We have a rule at John Machado's place -- whenever the gf is there, you let the guy rule you.

Then, after she's gone, back to normal.

This has got to me the most quoted comment I've ever seen but that's awesome. I'd bring my girl to every class!

As far as the ego thing goes...When people start to get an ego or try to prove something etc. We grab them and bring them over to the more experienced side of the class. After 3 or 4 rolls with the instructor and/or purple/high blue belts, he's too tired to show out for anyone.

This is an oldie but a goodie, one of my favorite types of "That Guy" rollers:

The Lazy Possum:

This guy has some skills but he fights really lazy and defensively most of the time and you think you have his number. But on occasion when theres an audience or some chick watching he decides to bring his A game and youre in a world of surprise, the guy suddenly becomes Marcelo Garcia.

ever seen the situation where a gf sits in on her dude at grappling; an the guy completely goes overboard and feels the need to really step it up pace wise, aggression and physicality.

i have seen this time and time again, even w/the coolest guy its like they don't want to lose or look bad in front of their girlfriends.

i have seen situations, esp in more casual club env; i have seen people get to the point of fighting or close to it cus one dude has his girl there and his ego won't let him accept getting dominated or getting outclassed....

ever seen that or exp, me personally i don't see why anyone gets that bent

Of course he does...he's been talking shit for the last 3 years about how good he was and how much ass hes been kicking why he's there....and of course why "that guy at the bar better shut the fuck up!" lol.

One night, a young woman came watch our oldest team member rolling.
The dude is easy mid 40's and he was being over agressive.
We kind of accepted it because it was his daughter in the room watching him.

But at x-mas party, i found out that it was his 20's old Russian girlfriend and not his daughter!
Lucky bastard!:icon_chee

We have a rule at John Machado's place -- whenever the gf is there, you let the guy rule you.

That's funny stuff! A couple of guys from our place were fighting for 1st & 2nd place in a tournament, but one guy's dad came to see him, so the other guy kind of threw the match. That's a pal.

My gf picks me up from JJ a lot and/or watches. I could care less if I am tapping or getting tapped. She always says the same thing afterwards: "You're getting better."

My gf picks me up from JJ a lot and/or watches. I could care less if I am tapping or getting tapped. She always says the same thing afterwards: "You're still gonna get head even though you lost."

:icon_chee what i was expecting to see

You got it.

"OMG, that's the third triangle you tapped me with in a row!"

Then it's back down from candy-cane forest to reality once she's gone.

That's hilarious, I would love that rule, even though my gf has only stopped by once to watch me in years. That's funny stuff.

Thats a cool attitude. Most guys doing BJJ are Type A personalities and I am sure want their women to feel safe around them. Letting them do well in front of them really helps his psyche, and hers.

This isn't exactly on the topic, but it reminded me of this: about a year ago, one of the guys at my gym was preparing for a fight, and as part of that, he had a girl he knew come to film him sparring. After we finished sparring, she and I started talking, and one thing led to another, and she's been my gf for about a year now. I swear I wasn't trying to show out for her. I think it's just that the other guys at the gym that day were so hideous that they made me look really appealing by comparison.

We do something similar (its an unwritten rule of course). We don't let the guy/girl own us, but we make it a point not to tool them and give them some highlight throws, subs, or pins when bf/gf/spouse/parent/kid is watching.

Caveat to the rule, "you bump for them like there's no tomorrow" rule. THey have to have been at the club for at least 6months and not be a douche.

If you're cool and show a willingness to learn, man, I'll turtle and take the beating

Once a student about my age's girlfriend came, so just before randori I told him to try a flying armbar on me.

And his girlfriend was so turned on by the way I slammed the back of his head onto the tile floor.

I think this is an awesome rule! I'm going to have to suggest this at my school...then try and get my girl to make every class!!! :D

I'd like to bring my GF to class, too, but I think my wife might not like it.

I let a Jr. High School student tap me out back in the day because his mom was watching.

I helped out one student in the kids' classes. His mom was watching and was ALWAYS on his back, telling him to behave, etc. so he was very shy and not very confident in himself. He also HATED sparring because he was "that kid" that the other students liked to go against since he was "easy" to fight against, and he knew it.

So, I "challenged" him, and I dared him to roundhouse kick me as hard as he could in the leg. He gave it his best shot, and I sold it to the fullest - screamed as if I got shot in the leg, both legs giving out from underneath me, windmilled my arms on the way down, doing a back breakfall almost into a backflip, and tapping out. Kids couldn't stop laughing, and he couldn't stop smiling that day.

Would it be too much if after a submission I threw you off of me, stood up flexing and yelled at the others classmates "who's nest next, damn it who's next! Big dog wants another meal."

I actually feel bad for the girl who watches in class- unless they truly are passionate about BJJ and want to train. Otherwise I feel like they don't have hobbies of their own and are like stalkers.

wow, that's really ignorant and judgmental of you. my wife has never come to my bjj classes, but sooner or later she will, not cause she doesn't have hobbies of her own or cause she's a stalker. she's just curious about what i've been spending all this time and money on. seems like a pretty reasonable thing to me. on top of that the head instructor encourages it.

ya i remember the first time i noticed my buddy who i train with, his girlfriend was there.. i am a blue belt as was he, and i like to play my top game a lot, and im very comfortable there... and i started several months ago to start focusing on my bottom game as much as possible, so when i asked my training partner to just work some basics with me in a live roll, he said sure, and decided to try his hardest to crush me to impress his girlfriend...

Back