when someone's gf sits in

I'll take it light on people and try not to tap them no matter who it is they know thats there. Girls are people, if they train, they are another person in a gi. I do tend to go lighter, but I would go the same way with a person of simliar size and strength.

the only exception is at belt promos, you fair game to get smashed in front of your mom or whoever else is there

after my blue belt grading, i was a bit tired and we had open mat and i decided to participate, a white belt mopped the floor with me, caught me in an armbar 3 times, how embarassing

The first and only time my wife ever sat in on training, I had been training just under a month. She got to witness me get completely smoked by a female blue belt.

She signed up for classes right on the spot.

lol thts awesome

It's usually not a good thing when a gf/wife is there, egos and all that get big. My wife comes sometimes to watch my son's class when I am asst instructing, but as soon as the kids class is over, she is gone. She says it is out of respect for us to concentrate. Kinda nice that I don't even have to ask.

I remember sparring with this one guy that had a reputation for giving up. He was always being chided for his work ethic, and rarely put up much of a defense once he got into a bad position - it was as if he just wanted a restart.

One time I caught him in a tight triangle and he simply wouldn't tap. He kept fighting and fighting. He tried to stack me, and I hooked the leg and rolled him into a mounted triangle...

it wasn't until after he tapped that I realized his girlfriend was sitting in on the session. I remember feeling like a real jerk.

As long as the guy in question is cool thats am awesome rule, but then some guys deserve to get shown up...

I don't give a shit if I get my ass whooped in front of my gf, but I have definately seen some of the younger guys get all A-type when their chick comes in.

I think when you own a guy who's girlfriend sits in on training is called "On-The-Mat Cock-Block," or OTMCB.

ever seen the situation where a gf sits in on her dude at grappling; an the guy completely goes overboard and feels the need to really step it up pace wise, aggression and physicality.

i have seen this time and time again, even w/the coolest guy its like they don't want to lose or look bad in front of their girlfriends.

i have seen situations, esp in more casual club env; i have seen people get to the point of fighting or close to it cus one dude has his girl there and his ego won't let him accept getting dominated or getting outclassed....

ever seen that or exp, me personally i don't see why anyone gets that bent
LOL, I just remembered the first time my wife went to the academy.. just my luck, I only rolled with black belts that night! ... didn't impress her very much I don't think! :D

Never thought about going easy on a guy because his girlfriend was there. On the other hand, when they bring in thier kids I just dont have the heart to tap them.

Never thought about going easy on a guy because his girlfriend was there. On the other hand, when they bring in thier kids I just dont have the heart to tap them.

But you're their training partner. You should be guiding his cock, not blocking it.

i try not to spar under those conditions. the other day my training partners girlfriend sat in and watched for a few minutes when we were going over armbars from knee on belly, and you know when your training you put a tiny bit of pressure on the sub to insure you are doing the technique correctly, anyhow, we were doing it and i felt his elbow crackle and he didnt tap, i asked him about and he said "nah man it didnt hurt". i knew the amount or pressure i was putting on it and its useless to train with a person with an ego i coulc have disloated his elbow or something all because of his ego. after i pulled off a few more armbars i stoped training with him, i didnt want him to be over zelless on me.

Im surprised how frail some people's sensabilities are. First off, why bring your girl to watchj you if you know there is a good chance you will get worked? Second who cares if she sees you lose? People lose in every sport. If your girl leaves you because you got your assed kicked then she is a shitty girlfriend anyway.

Plus unless your gf is as dumb as a fence post, she knows there is stuff you suck at, like home repair...and sex. :icon_chee

It the guy is cool and mellow, I'll work with him and whisper to him to work on whatever drills we did that day and try to tap me with those. Then his gf/wife can see what he learned and how he used it on a higher belt.
If the guy is a spaz and came in just to impress his gf....then he's in for a world of hurt.

My wife has only come in a couple of times, but only because we live quite a distance from the school and were out for the whole day, with class in the middle. That being said, my coach and I have been friends a long time (before he was my coach) and likes to make me suffer when she's watching (he will tickle me rather than make me tap).

Plus....my wife has dropped him before. That was not pretty. :icon_chee

We have a rule at John Machado's place -- whenever the gf is there, you let the guy rule you.

Then, after she's gone, back to normal.

I dont know if this is a joke, but I like the concept.
Men will want to seem like that "man" in front of his gf, really in every situation.
At the club people should look out for each other, I mean its like a buddy favor.
I never bring a girl into practice, for this very reason, I hate spazzers.

It's comical to think about it from the other perspective. I became interested in BJJ from this particular situation, watching my boyfriend roll. I signed up for classes and became completely addicted. I tested for my blue in January, I never see him as proud as when I compete.

We have a rule at John Machado's place -- whenever the gf is there, you let the guy rule you.

Then, after she's gone, back to normal.

Man the first time my gf came to watch, she was teaching a yoga class there later, and I got straight roughed up. I got choked 6 ways from Sunday. Tapped to every imaginable sub. Not to mention he is about 50 pounds lighter than me.

Hilarious.

For a long time I trained at a club with only a few other guys -- a purple belt/ex wrestler ran the class, two other purple belts, a blue belt, and me (white belt). One day my girlfriend came to pick me up and showed up as we were rolling the last couple rounds -- now I've dated my girlfriend for a while, we're a long way past the innocent-lies-to-impress-you-stage, she's well aware of my relative bjj skill level, watches ufc, etc. Anyway she walks in, the guy I'm rolling with (a purple belt) notices here as he's in my full guard I'm you know, focused, scrambling for an overhook or some shit, and he's like "that's your girlfriend right?" and I say "yeah". He makes his left arm limp and whispers "take my left arm" and I go ahead and armbar it. Without missing a step my girlfriend shouts out "want me to take a picture? that's gotta be the last time you'll armbar him this year"

See? You get close to someone and they can tell when you're full of BS.

I would have had her take the photo.

It's rare when someone at the gym brings their girl. Extremely rare, mostly because the place is a tesosterone pot. Being a single guy though, I don't know if I'd go easy on the guy or go extra hard just because.

Eh, being single sucks.:icon_sad:

Back