When did the referees become jerk offs?

legkicktko

Only the Strong Survive
@Black
Reaction score
Assholes.

I just saw that in the final barrage, Thompson took a moment to calculate his next shot against a hurt Hendricks (all of 2 seconds) and Big John told him to work. He said something along the lines of:

"Work, let's go" as he signaled towards Hendricks against the fence.

Maybe he was talking to Hendricks? I don't know but this guy needs a swift kick to the head because he has a bloated sense of importance lately.

For those of you who don't remember, he also told Edson Barboza he was faking being kicked and hurt by Tony.

"Listen, it didn't hit you."

As the replay showed. Barboza was hit clean and his eyes rolled back.

Where does he get off saying Barboza is looking for a way out, 10 seconds into a fight that he opted to take on short notice? He also was a dick and didn't give him his five minutes.

It reminds me of Herb telling Ross Pearson and Trinaldo to fight.

What is with these guys?

Assholes.

I just saw that in the final barrage, Thompson took a moment to calculate his next shot against a hurt Hendricks (all of 2 seconds) and Big John told him to work. He said something along the lines of:

"Work, let's go" as he signaled towards Hendricks against the fence.

Maybe he was talking to Hendricks? I don't know but this guy needs a swift kick to the head because he has a bloated sense of importance lately.

For those of you who don't remember, he also told Edson Barboza he was faking being kicked and hurt by Tony.

"Listen, it didn't hit you."

As the replay showed. Barboza was hit clean and his eyes rolled back.

Where does he get off saying Barboza is looking for a way out, 10 seconds into a fight that he opted to take on short notice? He also was a dick and didn't give him his five minutes.

It reminds me of Herb telling Ross Pearson and Trinaldo to fight.

What is with these guys?

its almost like....the dude is human

Big John just wants to assert his authority any chance he gets. Most forced/annoying ref of all time.

Big John has dedicated more than 20 years of his life to the sport of MMA. Show some damn hespect.

Yeah and how about Yves Lavigne grabbing Sean Spencer in a super aggressive and unnecessary way to stop him in between rounds on that last card?

Refs need to harsher IMO.

Too many fighters get away with shit. Can't remember the last time somebody got a point taken away.

he has a bloated sense of importance lately.
"Lately"? Watch some old fights. Big John broke a guy's nose once from stopping a fight so aggressively. If anything he's gotten a little tamer. He was an LAPD cop, what do you expect.

Also it seems like you are just talking about BJM, not sure why you are painting all refs with that brush. There are plenty of good refs, even some great ones.

I've noticed Big John over handling fights but at the same time his fights never get out of control so...he's doing something right?

Man nobody is safe on this Sherdog forum, its fueled by criticism I mean forget about the 400 good things somebody does let's let them screw up a time or 2 and everybody gets on horseback ready to drag them behind the horse down main street

I think it was because the kick Stephen Thompson landed to Hendrick's body looked like it might have hit his groin

Out of all the refs, Big John is the most respected.....

I've noticed Big John over handling fights but at the same time his fights never get out of control so...he's doing something right?
Yeah Romero vs. Kennedy was completely under control

It started pretty early in the UFC with Big John. All that "get your ass back there!" tough guy shit he would try to pull with fighters. Then he broke Brian Johnston's nose pulling him off after a fight and proceeded to push Brian who was obviously upset at the clumsy fuck up. Keep in mind this was the first fight of the tournament, so Johnston had to go into his next fight with Mark Coleman with a broken nose suffered from the jackass ref.

That clumsy buffoonery continued with Dan Mirgliotta.

It seems a lot of refs are big clumsy oafs who should probably have USADA testing them. Like that pint-sized Lesnar who has been reffing lately.

Horrible quality video but here is Big John breaking Johnston's nose after the fight and giving him a shove afterward:

Johnston should have "Gilbert Yvel'd" Big John after that one.

33mr976.jpg

Last edited:
Big "boots" john McCarthy thinks he is a star, I also think he is a bit butt hurt about not competing in the ufc.

Why dont you watch the fight again. I dont have to go back and watch it but from I remember, Wonderboy threw a kick that landed a little low....Hendricks or Thompson or both hesitated beause they thought it was low. This is when the ref yelled to get on with it because it was not low. Again..this is what i remember. Watch it again and see if im correct. This is the only reason Big John opened his mouth.

The only reason John said that was because Thompson wasn't sure if he hit Hendricks with a low blow with one of his kicks...so both guys paused for a second. Hendricks actually lifted his hand for a glove tap to signal to Thompson that it was all good...Thompson was in the zone and in kill mode, though, and didn't touch gloves.

John could probably tame down a little but remember that for a number of years he was reffing some real assholes. It wasn't always competitors respecting each other, the UFC used to be a bunch of bar room brawling assholes and Big John would have to be a bit assertive.

Back