When did the referees become jerk offs?

Big john always says too much ... His words sometimes gives a fighter an advantage ... He should really shut up and just ref ...

I was disgusted by John's treatment of Barboza, too. That was despicable.

Big John has dedicated more than 20 years of his life to the sport of MMA. Show some damn hespect.

Don't get me wrong, I respect him but...He just has that Copish attitude and tries to put on a show to stroke his own ego. He has to let it be known hes in control of every little thing, like hes trying to steal the show or something.

Agree. Big John has always annoyed me. Just because you're a cop doesn't mean you can just dominate every situation you're in.

Don't get me wrong, I respect him but...He just has that Copish attitude and tries to put on a show to stroke his own ego. He has to let it be known hes in control of every little thing, like hes trying to steal the show or something.
I'd say trying to steal the show is a little dramatic, but I can respect your opinion. Big John was in the FOTY 2015 and did an awesome job and he did in the Condit-Lawler fight too, I'd say he's the most competent out of all the referees.

John just wants to be more involved, maybe he is doing this so Dana can
consider to bring him to HW and make some kind of super fight, maybe with Herb.

Maybe it's just me, but ever since he went overboard in the Krause/Green fight, I haven't really noticed him retract from that kind of bravado. Just seems angry as fuck and at least in my opinion, I'm not big on seeing that sort of display.

Edit: I used to own a UFC game on Dreamcast, and you could unlock Big John and iirc he was the best 'fighter'/character, over Tito. Kinda apropos to his nature now.

Last edited:
Anyone remember when Big John shaved his head and pushed Genki Sudo around?
2e34rxf.jpg

2ztfyok.jpg

Big John has always been like that. How many days ago did you start watching MMA ts?

John could probably tame down a little but remember that for a number of years he was reffing some real assholes. It wasn't always competitors respecting each other, the UFC used to be a bunch of bar room brawling assholes and Big John would have to be a bit assertive.
Agreed. When this all started, there was no sportsmanship or respect. A lot of those guys were jacked up psychos just wanting to smash each other.

Man nobody is safe on this Sherdog forum, its fueled by criticism I mean forget about the 400 good things somebody does let's let them screw up a time or 2 and everybody gets on horseback ready to drag them behind the horse down main street
A quote i have always remembered rings true here.

"When you have done things right no one will recognize you have done anything at all"

Its a shitty human factor

fair enough. I still think he's a good ref though. Is he always perfect? No. Far from it. But I find he messes up less.
Also fair. Personally I've been watching him be overaggressive and make bad calls for a zillion years, since the beginning, so I'm not a big fan. But it is true that he does a good job sometimes, and it is also true that anyone would have a list of screwups in that job.

BJM wanted to enter UFC 1, but Rorion wouldn't let him. He could've been Royce

I do think he's a little bitter that he's not viewed as a fighting great, and he's a cop... cops love to assert their dominance, it's their job.

But I still think he's a great referee. You can't see everything all at the same time, the job is way harder than it looks on the surface.

Yeah Romero vs. Kennedy was completely under control

The security dick in the red jacket was the one who screwed that all up. He wouldn't let Yoels corner retrieve the stool after they forgot it, then Kennedy came over to complain so JOhn had to calm him down and get him back to his corner. He had to tell the security guy that he was a blind moron and they couldn't leave the stool int he ring. BJM had to deal with two fighters, two corner-men and a dumbass security guy. Personally I thought he did a very good job.

Last edited:
Big John just wants to assert his authority any chance he gets. Most forced/annoying ref of all time.
You nailed it! I remember his first appearance. He was screaming at guys to work. There was no time limit at that event!

BJM wanted to enter UFC 1, but Rorion wouldn't let him.

I do think he's a little bitter that he's not viewed as a fighting great, and he's a cop... cops love to assert their dominance, it's their job.

But I still think he's a great referee. You can't see everything all at the same time, the job is way harder than it looks on the surface.

The security dick in the red jacket was the one who screwed that all up. He wouldn't let Yoels corner retrieve the stool after they forgot it, then Kennedy came over to complain so JOhn had to calm him down and get him back to his corner. He had to tell the security guy that he was a blind moron and they couldn't leave the stool int he ring. BJM had to deal with two fighters, two corner-men and a dumbass security guy. Personally I thought he did a very good job.

Big John didn't catch Kennedy holding onto the glove to hurt Romero, which is what set that whole fiasco off in the first place.

Tim-Kennedy-holding-Yoel-Romeros-gloves.gif

In fairness to BJM though, he was in a bad position to spot it and that's not really his fault.

"Lately"? Watch some old fights. Big John broke a guy's nose once from stopping a fight so aggressively. If anything he's gotten a little tamer. He was an LAPD cop, what do you expect.

Also it seems like you are just talking about BJM, not sure why you are painting all refs with that brush. There are plenty of good refs, even some great ones.
Big john was also supposed to compete in the ufc as a bjj guy but they wouldn't let him bc Royce was the only one able to rep bjj.

Edit: well I was late to the party.

Oh, geez. The "he grabbed his glove for 2 seconds" guys are here.

Here we go.

I like Big John being a hard ass. You have to command respect or else the guys will break the rules with no fear of consequence.

I loved when Jones did his crawl towards Vitor and Belfort threw a head kick. Jones looked at BJM like "Can you believe that?" and John said "Hey, you wanted to play that game". Good stuff.

Back