When did the referees become jerk offs?

Big john was also supposed to compete in the ufc as a bjj guy but they wouldn't let him bc Royce was the only one able to rep bjj.

Edit: well I was late to the party.
I thought the family went with Royce because Big John was too physically imposing and Rickson already had a rep. Either of those guys wouldn't really prove anything if they won but Royce at 185lbs would prove Gracie JJ as the most effective art if he could beat all of the larger opponents.

Big John didn't catch Kennedy holding onto the glove to hurt Romero, which is what set that whole fiasco off in the first place.

Tim-Kennedy-holding-Yoel-Romeros-gloves.gif

In fairness to BJM though, he was in a bad position to spot it and that's not really his fault.

True, It really is impossible to see everything at once. All sports have this problem, some more than others. I think it would be a good idea to have secondary refs watching on a TV screen that can call fouls,or ring a bell to stop a fight after a quick KO/Sub, if the ref is out of position. Maybe he could be in contact with the ref through a headset.

Refs need to harsher IMO.

Too many fighters get away with shit. Can't remember the last time somebody got a point taken away.
we just had ufc 18 where a guy got point deduction for knee to dick and eyepoke, the ref combined them both for a deduction and it ended in a draw.

You guys need to learn respect, especially towards a 20 year pro like Big John, this is why he was voted ref of the year

“Everyone loved that fight, and they should have,” McCarthy said. “But, everyone was concerned about me stopping the fight, either in the third round or the fourth round – stopping the fight with Robbie being hurt and Rory being the winner. Everybody has asked, ‘How close were you to stopping the fight?’ It’s like no one understands. I was never really that concerned about Robbie Lawler in that fight. I was very concerned with Rory MacDonald. From about the fourth minute of the first round on.”
With MacDonald’s nose broken in the first round, the concern became blood going into his lungs.

“What I’m seeing when I’m watching Robbie and Rory – Rory is, in the first round, landing more punches, but they’re not real hard,” McCarthy said. “Robbie is not throwing a lot, but when he’s landing shots they are thudding shots. They are heavy. And then he ends up breaking his nose in the first round. I watch Rory and he starts doing what we call aspirating blood.

“As he’s breathing through his mouth, he sucks in more air as he gets more tired – now he comes into the second round and third round he gets a cut in his mouth. And he’s got a cut that’s bleeding into his mouth. In the third round he’s really sucking a lot of air. When he goes after Robbie and he’s hurting Robbie, that’s great, but he’s sucking these little droplets of blood that are now being aspirated. They’re not going down into his stomach, they’re going into his lungs and they’re stopping what his lungs can do as far as dissipating that oxygen to his muscles. This is the thing that I’m worried about. This is what I’m watching.”

Eventually, the damage accumulated to the point where a single shot from Lawler was too much for MacDonald to take, leading to the stoppage at the 1:00 mark of Round 5.

McCarthy said that he was waiting for that moment when the damage, fatigue and restricted ability to breathe would catch up with MacDonald. Something that explains where his focus was placed during the war.

“90 percent of that fight I was watching Rory.”

Last edited:
Here is Big John back in the day, stopping a fight so aggressively that he broke the fighter's nose.

20uodnq.jpg

Johnston-gets-bloody-nose-from-John-McCarthy.gif

Last edited:
overall he's a good ref, but he does have some celebrity and seems to carry himself with an ego.

I thought the family went with Royce because Big John was too physically imposing and Rickson already had a rep. Either of those guys wouldn't really prove anything if they won but Royce at 185lbs would prove Gracie JJ as the most effective art if he could beat all of the larger opponents.
I believe you to be correct sir!

Here is Big John back in the day, stopping a fight so aggressively that he broke the fighter's nose.

20uodnq.jpg

Johnston-gets-bloody-nose-from-John-McCarthy.gif
I remember watching that and thinking big John as a bad ass for that lol. Now I'm like wtf that's bullshit. Although back in the day guys legit looked like they were going to kill the other guy. I know guys like Stephens keep going after a KO back then it was just different.

Big John has always been this way. His job is more important than the fighters, the ring card girls, the officials, the judges, the other refs, the camera men, the reporters, the operations staff, the security, the food and beverage stand guys, Dana white, both fertittas, joe silva, joe rogan, Goldberg, buffer, ratner, anik, florian, the arena general manager, the ring side doctor, the corner men, etc.

Did I miss anyone?

It's so easy to make a mistake refine a fight so with that said I think BJM is doing fine.

Big John has dedicated more than 20 years of his life to the sport of MMA. Show some damn hespect.

That doesn't mean he's done a good job or learned from his mistakes.

3835_es.jpg

That doesn't mean he's done a good job or learned from his mistakes.

3835_es.jpg
Really? Should he be like Herb Dean and stop a fight when the fighter is on the verge of having brain damage? Or perhaps like Yves Lavigne when he nearly got Pete Sell killed, or he could just be like Mazagatti and be as incompetent as they come. Every ref makes mistakes, Big John did a great job in the Macdonald-Lawler II fight and plenty of other fights and he doesn't ask for anything in return except $1500 for the whole event.

BJM learned from his mistakes.

Was watching Hughes vs. Sherk the other day and BJM was always yelling "IMPROVE POSITION! STAY BUSY OR I'LL STAND YOU UP!"

He was yelling this at periods where they were being pretty damn active. No ref nowadays (hopefully) would have stood them up.

Big John was an utterly atrocious ref in the early UFCs. There were a couple times where it seemed like he wasn't even paying attention to the fights while some guy was frantically trying to tap out.

Now he's considered an elder statesman simply because he's still around and almost everyone else sucks even worse.

I have always felt as though Sherdog has underappreciated the refs fail to understand the difficulty of the job.
Whether or not you did a good job hinges on mere seconds.

Man nobody is safe on this Sherdog forum, its fueled by criticism I mean forget about the 400 good things somebody does let's let them screw up a time or 2 and everybody gets on horseback ready to drag them behind the horse down main street

"...but you fuck one goat..."

Back