Whats your favorite Judo throw and why?

upping my ?

Once again, any Hane Goshi fans. It's a love it or hate it throw. If you are in either club, why? Personally I like. Someone told me it's an old school throw. What's up with that?

IChinaManI can u help me understand this???

old school because many people dont do it that much anymore, usually they'd much rather do harai goshi or uchi mata

No no no... see that is the thing about hane goshi, you can hit it when you can't reach harai or uchi mata. I made a video a while back:

http://hatredalive.com/nicks/mma/judo/hanegoshi.wmv

AWESOME! Thanks! That's what I've been telling all my peers that say it's useless and I should just do harai or uchimata. I say well if I can't get in that close I can just leap in a "spring" (pun intended) their hip up. That vid helped a lot man. Thanks.

AWESOME! Thanks! That's what I've been telling all my peers that say it's useless and I should just do harai or uchimata. I say well if I can't get in that close I can just leap in a "spring" (pun intended) their hip up. That vid helped a lot man. Thanks.

Sure, not a problem. I just recently started to understand why someone would use hane goshi when harai gohsi or uchi mata are much stronger movements. I made that video a while back because the topic had come up.

I put it on youtube for anyone who has a hard time with my site.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/s7wcWngYvNA&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s7wcWngYvNA&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

darkslide maybe you can enlighten me, my understanding from my sensei was that reaping the far leg above the knee was still considered uchi mata and hane goshi was only when you clip the inside of his shin (hes quite old and the classifications may have changed), when is it uchi mata and when is it hane goshi?

darkslide maybe you can enlighten me, my understanding from my sensei was that reaping the far leg above the knee was still considered uchi mata and hane goshi was only when you clip the inside of his shin (hes quite old and the classifications may have changed), when is it uchi mata and when is it hane goshi?

Well, I am certainly no expert, and uchi mata is FAR from my specialty, and in fact may be the hardest throw for me to figure out, however, I'm not reaping his leg, but springing it up. Um... think of it this way, rather than using my leg to cut uke's center of gravity out from under him as I would in harai goshi or uchi mata, I am almost prying it out... like using a pole and a rock to move a bigger rock.

I actually throw uchi mata just like you describe. For some reason I am unable to do inner thigh uchi mata, so I throw it on the far side. My hips have to be close to do this, as the hips play a big role in uchi mata. In hane goshi, my shin takes the place of my hips. Think of doing something like uki goshi, but instead of using your hips, you use your shin.

It's kind of hard to explain in text :)

I'm gonna answer this, Darkslide may too. I don't get too caught up in names. It's the principles that make the technique what it is. Many people do a "hip" uchimata where the reaping leg comes up along the inside of the far leg before hitting the upper insiode of the close thigh. Some people think that looks a lot like hane goshi and can get them confused. At www.judoinfo.com just seeing the hane goshi animation, some people might think it was Uchimata because the rising leg isn't bent at all.

Hane Goshi means Spring Hip. You spring the person up in the air using your hip and bent leg as an extension of your hip. Different people beng their leg to different degrees. I bend mine like Darkslide does. I touch my heel to my butt. Some people have it more straight. But for it to be hane Goshi, it has to have the "spring". The uke should Pop straight up off the ground quickly. Your hip does the throw and the leg is just for momentum/acceleration purposes. Does this help?

In essence, the difference between Uchimata and Hane Goshi IMHO are the body positionings and movements involved, not so much what the rising leg does.

Darkslide may feel different.

I'm still a judo noob. But ouchi gari and kouchi gari are my favorites. I can't seem to hit anything else...

Well, I am certainly no expert, and uchi mata is FAR from my specialty, and in fact may be the hardest throw for me to figure out, however, I'm not reaping his leg, but springing it up. Um... think of it this way, rather than using my leg to cut uke's center of gravity out from under him as I would in harai goshi or uchi mata, I am almost prying it out... like using a pole and a rock to move a bigger rock.

I actually throw uchi mata just like you describe. For some reason I am unable to do inner thigh uchi mata, so I throw it on the far side. My hips have to be close to do this, as the hips play a big role in uchi mata. In hane goshi, my shin takes the place of my hips. Think of doing something like uki goshi, but instead of using your hips, you use your shin.

Darkslide I throw my Uchimata the same way. In fact, traditionally Uchi Mata was originally taught in this way; with hip contact and rising up the inside of the far leg, and ending up into the inner thigh. For me, I say it's Uchimata if the sweeping leg goes up anywhere in between the uke's legs. Uchimata's my specialty and usually the I won't even feel the uke's inner left thigh during my reap because their already going over from proper kuzushi and the hip action.

Good hane goshi vid:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=i-fUVJ5AM0I

wish I could embed.

Without a doubt. hane-Goshi is THE MOST DIFFICULT hip throw out of the bunch. At least for 95% of the people out there. Harai-Goshi and Uchi-Mata are more important to learn and get proficient with first. Hane-Goshi is more like a cousin to the Uchi-Mata and Harai-Goshi brothers. Hane-Goshi is so beautiful to see done right because it's so explosive and dynamic.

Thanks (to drew also) I understand, iv actually done that abit (lifted uke on my shin like that) thinking it was still uchi mata, and yes also throw uchi mata on the far leg, my sensei encouraged this since i dont have particularly long legs and its still effective against someone with long legs and/or alot of groin flexibility.

On a side note iv been working a cross-step uchi mata on the inner leg to use against bent over (jiu jitsu) posture which seems really powerful. Any judoka played around with this?

As the leg comes across to reap you lay back and hit a sitting armbar...I was practicing it and a brown belt showed me the counter...so I haven't been practicing it since.

Interesting... I think I can see that, thanks.

kouchi setemi or kouchi makkikomi a move that baffles me that bjj guys dont use it it sets you in a postion to either get mount side mount, half mount , or even north south position .i could only find a vid of alittle kid doing it .

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/d1p3qHdfO7A&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/d1p3qHdfO7A&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

and the almighty kataguruma that i do everyonce an a million years

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sQcUbD-gc9M&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sQcUbD-gc9M&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Back