Whats your favorite Judo throw and why?

I don't mean to sidetrack this thread so I apologize if it does. But I was interested in learning this throw I saw yesterday while browsing BJJ highlight videos. I'm sure others use it, but Saulo Ribeiro uses it a lot in this video.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=n-DgzsCDtXc

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/n-DgzsCDtXc&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/n-DgzsCDtXc&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Does anyone know the name of it? Look around the 40 second mark.

Thanks!

Ko-uchi-gari ... innner reaping throw. Pretty common in judo competitions, usually as part of a combo.

Thank you, I will ask my instructor to see if he can teach it to me :) Any advice on it?

wow. Been waiting fpor this thread.

I'm a taller guy. 6-6.1 so I'm gonna say Uchi Mata/Harai Goshi. Uchi Mata is so versatile and I think it works really well if someone is bent over deep with a wide stance. Plus I always land in a full mount.

Harai Goshi kinda goes the same. I land it more because of the rotated entry but agfter the throw I usually end up being able to get to side control easier than I can the mount. And I always want the mount, so I go for Uchi Mata more.

I love Osoto Gari for gi, but have a hard time translating it to no-gi. I'm studying Shinya Aoki on this, as he is a master at no-gi Osoto Gari.

I also love to use Hane Goshi. But I think I'm alone on this. It's so explosive. Any Hane Goshers out there that feel the same?

So for me it's: Uchi-Mata;Harai-Goshi;Hane Goshi:Osoto Gari; and Ouchi Gari

as a tall guy you must love haraigoshi from russian grip right?, works great if somebody tries to doubleleg you

seoinage. Just because its such a powerful throw(hoisted over shoulder/back) when the opponent is loaded, that 'it seems' all you really have to do is 'get in'. Not much of a reversal threat either.

From my own experience, if the guy I'm fighting doesn't have a fast/explosive drop style seoi, I counter it fairly easy by using a roll-over choke or simply pushing him down and taking his back.

It's one of those throws you're either really good at or you shouldn't attempt unless it's a clear and obvious opening.

Ko-uchi-gari ... innner reaping throw. Pretty common in judo competitions, usually as part of a combo.

Hmm I don't think you're talking about the same one I'm talking about. The one I'm talking about is like the one he does at 0:32 seconds, 0:35 seconds, and 0:40 second mark in the video. It's like an armdrag, and he dives under his legs and throws him over his body. Do you have the name for that one?

Here's the link again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-DgzsCDtXc

Thanks!

yeah drop ippon seoi-nage

i wouldn't suggest learning drop knee techniques until getting the fundamental throws first. That's just a recipe for injury.

tokui waza:

harai goshi and seoi-otoshi

as a tall guy you must love haraigoshi from russian grip right?, works great if somebody tries to doubleleg you

Hell yea man. Russian over the back grips rule. Sometimes my 5'3 girlfriend will fake tackle me or double leg like you said, and I'll russian grip her shorts or jeans and harai her all the time. :icon_chee

I set her down gently of course. No slamming.

I would have to say de ashi barai. It is just beautiful when done properly ie. effortless, and also is a perfect throw to get your opponent moving for combinations. I am also quite partial to drop kata garuma and sumi geashi.

Osoto Gari - I'm a long legged bastard that likes backward throws

O/Ko Uchi Gari - See above

I've been working on my Harai Goshi and Tai O Toshi more and more and am getting more comfortable.

....But I hate Seoi with a passion, can't get low enough...

My fav has always been Uchi-Mata. It's beautiful when you hit it just right.

In BJJ class, I've been hitting drop-knee Ippon Seionage pretty good. The BJJ guys seem to bend over with their stance a lot more than your typical judo player. Makes it easier to set-up the Seionage.

I also (only with gi) have been trying to hit Tomi-nage with the BJJ guys. They think I'm pulling guard, but I throw them over my head and roll with it into mount.

Also, Deshai-harai works pretty well.

With the BJJ guys, I find I DON'T like to try Tai-Otoshi (exposes the back) or standard hip throws not of the drop variety.

A little thing I wanted to see some of your guy's opinion on is the russian grip. Is it possible to use it while you stand up straight and your opponent is bent over. I find on some of the more experienced guys when I have it and stand up straight, they just duck under and I got nothin. I like Uchi Mata and A sloppy Osoto/harai variation with it. I prefer standing judo, and think bent over judo is ugly, but it seems I have to be bent over for that russian grip to not be neutralized, and it sucks because the russian grip is starting to become money for me now.

Hmm I don't think you're talking about the same one I'm talking about. The one I'm talking about is like the one he does at 0:32 seconds, 0:35 seconds, and 0:40 second mark in the video. It's like an armdrag, and he dives under his legs and throws him over his body. Do you have the name for that one?

Here's the link again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-DgzsCDtXc

Thanks!

Drop seoinage ... the one after that (starting at 40 seconds) is ko-uchi-gari. Sorry, didn't know which side of 40 you wanted :icon_chee

No it shouldn't. Judo is a grappling art. Last I checked, BJJ had throws and takedowns as well. This thread isn't about standup, it's about grappling. It's exactly in the correct forum.

A throw is a stand up technique.

A throw is a stand up technique.

So a tomoe nage is a standing technique? I know I'm arguing semantics, but this is all relative. You're the only person here that wants this in the standup forum. IMHO, a throw (sacrifice or not) is a grappling technique. Standup techniques are punches, kicks, elbows, etc.

When Karo Parisyan dumps someone on their head, Joe Rogan doesn't say he has great a standup game.

So, I guess we can agree to disagree. But, most everyone else here disagrees with you to. If you have nothing to contribute, find another thread, or go train.

A little thing I wanted to see some of your guy's opinion on is the russian grip. Is it possible to use it while you stand up straight and your opponent is bent over. I find on some of the more experienced guys when I have it and stand up straight, they just duck under and I got nothin. I like Uchi Mata and A sloppy Osoto/harai variation with it. I prefer standing judo, and think bent over judo is ugly, but it seems I have to be bent over for that russian grip to not be neutralized, and it sucks because the russian grip is starting to become money for me now.

My bread and butter throws have always been Harai, Hane, Uchimata, and Osoto., I began in 2001 using the high collar grip for all 4. Sometimes I would use a pistol grip for Osoto.

Last year I began using Russian grips. I almost always do it successfult standing upright against a bent over opponent. In fact, that's usuallt when I go for it the most now. Russian grip Uchi-Mata is a great solution (for me at least) to someone who is bent over with their weight back, and legs spread. I find it easy to dive straight in while reaching deep over their back for the grip on the belt, jacket, etc. and then driving off my support leg for the throw. I'm only intermediate so I don't know if I can answer your question, but sometimes I have the same problem. Certain people I Russian grip all day, some people I can't. But overall, I feel like it's a very important grip to have because it's just more tools for your toolbox. I read the Judo Masterclass Russian Judo book and that helped a lot with Russian grips, strategies, etc. All their books are good. I'd like to hear some feedback from you on my response too, or just some more thoughts. Good topic.

P.S. Nice avatar. It's my desktop background. ;)

A little thing I wanted to see some of your guy's opinion on is the russian grip.

I use the Russian grip from time to time. I find it easy because I have long arms. It does depend on whether of not the over the top grip is same side or not. If it is same side then you better throw quick or get a shido. If it is on the opposite side put your weight on his shoulder, when he stands straight up throw. You can also draw the shido against your opponent. I do this from a straight up and down stance, although I do tend to bend over to create movement from time to time. I like the grip as it serves a purpose. Once I have it locked I try for an uchimata or other hip through and if it fails I reverse my position into a sumi geashi.

In regards to people ducking under my arm if I have my weight on the shoulder they will not be able to do that and if they do I typically go with it, and hit harai or o soto depending on their position.

Back