Whats your favorite Judo throw and why?

Last year I began using Russian grips. I almost always do it successfuly standing upright against a bent over opponent. In fact, that's usuallt when I go for it the most now. Russian grip Uchi-Mata is a great solution (for me at least) to someone who is bent over with their weight back, and legs spread.

I have to agree that Uchimata is the perfect throw from this position. Especially since you only need to commit one leg, and have a ton of power from the grip on the belt.

Its been a long time since ive had a good hard randori , but i was working on sase-tsuri-komi-ashi into kesa-gatame , about the only thing i can pull off in shia is a kosi waza , ashi guruma or harai .

haraigoshi.gif

Once again, any Hane Goshi fans. It's a love it or hate it throw. If you are in either club, why? Personally I like. Someone told me it's an old school throw. What's up with thta?

Hmm I'm pretty craptastic at judo, but I do like sasae tsurikomi ashi
sasaeta.gif

and tani otoshi.
tanitosh.gif

Mainly because those two are where I've had my most success.

That said, tomoe nage is fun(and looks cool). Uchimata, harai goshi tai otoshi also look awesome when executed well.

A good 90% of my ippons come from either o-soto, uchimata or sasae. Of those, prob osoto, love it, can generate so much power that even from a bad set up you can just power it through into a big score.

A good 90% of my ippons come from either o-soto, uchimata or sasae. Of those, prob osoto, love it, can generate so much power that even from a bad set up you can just power it through into a big score.

Yea Kimura used to KO people with Osoto for fun all the time even on tatami mats. It's so versatile too. You can cut the leg out and slam straight down, or reap up high and give em airtime. The "Tenri Shrug" is my favorite Osoto Gari though.

I'm trying to get better with Maki Komi, but it just seems so easily countered.

Yea Kimura used to KO people with Osoto for fun all the time even on tatami mats. It's so versatile too. You can cut the leg out and slam straight down, or reap up high and give em airtime. The "Tenri Shrug" is my favorite Osoto Gari though.

Its a great throw, but I havent heard of the Tenri Shrug!! Maybe I have but I call it something different, any vids or how do you do it?

Its a great throw, but I havent heard of the Tenri Shrug!! Maybe I have but I call it something different, any vids or how do you do it?

Tenri Shrug : The following is a great description I found. There are pics in the Judo masterclass book and I;ll post pics tommorow.

ANYWAY: Here's my description. The way I do it is I do not really push or pull woth my hands. I establish a sleeve grip and a high collar grip. Then a Lunge forward and to the uke's rear right corner keeping upright posture and chest to chest contact. I keep my hips low, and even raise my right elbow upwards without releasing my collar grip, using a "shrug" motion of my shoulder to get the uke's head back and over his heels. Once they're off balance, I sweep back into the leg. The angle of your entry usuallt will cause them to float off of your hip a little bit during the reap, but to the rear obviously. The main idea is to have their head back above their center and over their back right heel.

HERE'S ONE I FOUND ON JUDOFORUM:

"Traditionally Osoto is taught as a back of knee to opponents back of knee throw. This leads to a throw like the one of Yamashita hammering his opponent with a very wide stance Osoto. Angelo Parisi used to do a similar technique way back in the 70's.

What you would call the Tenri 'shrug' (great description) has much in common with a hip throw but to the rear. A friend of mine, now 7th Dan, used this technique to great effect as a younger man. It was a little like a float off the hip (like Uki goshi) but to the side and back. Much of the secret and skill, as ever, was in the timing and the 'shrug'. His posture was very upright on entry, not at all bent forward as you might expect, and then he did this little hip rotation while stepping through to Osoto. His sweeping leg barely 'swept' at all - it was largely the hip.

The result was almost always an ippon because uke came down from a great height and stepping off the technique was extremely difficult - it worked particularly well on bigger players - which leads me to the conclusion that you used his hip more than leg. Anyway my friend learnt this throw over a two year stay at the Kodokan during the 1950's when I assume Kimura's legacy would have been greatest."

Also for my Osoto-Gari fans out there. Check out Isao Okano's version.

Works good for no gi sub grappling too. More of a hidden step entry.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=loUJH_JgkhY

If anyone can imbed it please help me.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/loUJH_JgkhY&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/loUJH_JgkhY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

That is so awesome. I need to try this.

essentially, and I lift the leg way up like an uchi mata. It's not correct technically, but I just prefer doing it that way in shiai, I find it more explosive.

edit: referring to happyboys osoto post.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/loUJH_JgkhY&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/loUJH_JgkhY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

That is so awesome. I need to try this.

Be careful for christ's sake. It may look great, but if you fuck it up, you're going to blow someones knee out.

As far as my favorite throw, I dunno... there's so many to choose from...

haraifinal.gif

Back