What's your favorite GTA of the PS2 era? GTA 3, Vice City, or San Andreas

Really liked Vice City, but couldn't get into any of the games after that.

They were all amazing for their time.

I feel like SA was the best because it benefited from III and VC, but I enjoyed those three much more than IV and V.

San Andreas by a mile. Loved the soundtrack, the story, the geography, all the things you could do, and the characters were the best of the series by far. I had so much damn fun with that game. Every GTA since has been a disappoint, although I thought 'The Ballad of Gay Tony' was a really good expansion.

Toss up between Vice City and III after that. III was the first time I played such an opened end game like that, but I really liked the location of Vice City.

San Andreas. There was so much to do, and it varied so much. You start out being a gangbanger is South Central, go on to the hills as an unofficial WitSec and then go to San Fran, Vegas and then full circle to South Central again. The amount of stuff to be done was crazy - go into gov facility to steal alien jetpack, use a motorcycle to get on a plane speeding away, take over the plane, destroy it and parachute out? flying a plane through canyons to avoid the feds, jet fighter fights, plan and execute a Oceans 11/Heat heist and the rest of the game was insane. And it was really the first one to involve family and a tone that wasn't just a jerkoff to scarface.

I replayed Vice City and it's prequel about a year or two ago. I never really got into Vice City like I did the other two.

3 was a revelation for me, never played a game like that before. Open world, gritty, funny, 18+. So it'll always hold a high place on any all time list I do.

4 was a step forward as far as graphics and improvements in gameplay, but it lacked the irreverence of the other titles, it wasn't as funny and there wasn't as nearly as much variety and imagination. It felt very drab and grey to me. However, the Ballad of Gay Tony was awesome and got everything right with the new improvements while also capturing what made the ps2 era titles great. It's only the DLC, but if you love GTA, this is a damn lovesong.

5 was a step in the right direction but I don't consider it a GOAT game like everyone else seems to. I've only given 5 one play through, the others got 6 or 7.

Last edited:
Back