• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What's the reason for the steady decline of movie quality?

On a wide scale level, it's the industry becoming so big and making investments so huge they only want to make (what they perceive as) surefire bets, and this means original stuff has given way to a load of sequels and remakes and franchises, and the little original stuff is often unimaginative.
We've probably fought over the same redhead.

New ideas. Also making an entire industry around perceived morality. Bad idea.

Video games appear to have clearly taken over as the preferred entertainment medium of choice for most people.

On a wide scale level, it's the industry becoming so big and making investments so huge they only want to make (what they perceive as) surefire bets, and this means original stuff has given way to a load of sequels and remakes and franchises, and the little original stuff is often unimaginative.
I think its also that the whole industry has been geared towards that, the way films get space at most cinemas is geared to a massive opening weekend not to stuff sticking around for weeks/months building up popularity.

This is dismal shit, we should be writing poems. It saddens the shit out of me. I'll expect more next time we're chopping philosophical timber, (finnegans wake, you're the topsawyer, topsawyer rocks, by the stream, ) an urbane hookless fish fry with no ladies dropping their lipstick to glipse tumults under the flashes of lightning. Everyone expects the fucking emptiness or just horror, emptiness and brutality of a last Treadwell bear tape, no one expects a flash

there are a multitude of facets that have changed Hollywood for the worst over the past 2 decades, but I think focusing on the economics makes for the best summarization and it is as simple as Matt Damon puts it here:

I know there are other reasons, but I think this explanation boils it down to the core without allowing those reasons to expand into a long winded philosophic and political exposition

Still lots of interesting films being made, but most people are too lazy, or don't have the inclination, to look past the latest over-hyped blockbuster.
Typical lazy sherdoggian response. Flatulence at your fingertips

Typical lazy sherdoggian response. Flatulence at your fingertips
Typical shit response.

Only flatulence on my fingertips is after i anally finger bang your (chose your most cherished relative over the age of consent, here).

Feminism. Bring back Don Simpson and coke. Enough of this shit allready.

Some of the reasons listed are valid but another one is that there’s a new generation in Hollywood too that was like born in the 90s and grew up in the 2000s that simply cannot relate to older generations and that older generations cannot relate to leading to sort of an incompatibility with what older audiences (ie Sherdoggers) want to watch and what younger writers, producers and directors want to make.

Typical shit response.

Only flatulence on my fingertips is after i anally finger bang your (chose your most cherished relative over the age of consent, here).
No you! Take some more time next time, you won't come across as lazy as you did the first time around

I think the death of DVDs, movie rentals and consumer electronics played it's part.

Sometimes I think streaming services was a mistake.

there are a multitude of facets that have changed Hollywood for the worst over the past 2 decades, but I think focusing on the economics makes for the best summarization and it is as simple as Matt Damon puts it here:

I know there are other reasons, but I think this explanation boils it down to the core without allowing those reasons to expand into a long winded philosophic and political exposition

It's fucking funny, yeah and not fucking funny, but there's only a handful of people very close, not sure how to put it how I'd agree with it, but I think there's a demeanor of Matt Damon where we click pretty fucking close. He's got cameras on him, I think there's a thread in the mind of empathy and trying and vaguely bordering on a sense of articulation and saying something meaningful, thoughtful and from the heart. I think we both if we talk fast can almost pull off big words and semi profundities you're trying to catch as it's fading out as you are looking for the bathroom.

It's fucking funny, yeah and not fucking funny, but there's only a handful of people very close, not sure how to put it how I'd agree with it, but I think there's a demeanor of Matt Damon where we click pretty fucking close. He's got cameras on him, I think there's a thread in the mind of empathy and trying and vaguely bordering on a sense of articulation and saying something meaningful, thoughtful and from the heart. I think we both if we talk fast can almost pull off big words and semi profundities you're trying to catch as it's fading out as you are looking for the bathroom.
I agree, he never recovered from the gay shower fight scene in School Ties

New ideas. Also making an entire industry around perceived morality. Bad idea.

Video games appear to have clearly taken over as the preferred entertainment medium of choice for most people.

Eh Hollowood had always been about morality for a big part, just now it's so risk averse expecially with minority characters, they just want to have them there without any plan of making it a real character. Plan is to basically trick white American liberals into thinking it does some good* and sadly it's largely working.

*the basis for the trick is rooted in actual science. You can build a parasocial (=asymmetrical, like when you love a TV character and are sad they die, or like when you're very invested in the president, shit like that) relationship with TV character and that builds empathy for people in the outgroups, like the gays or other ethnicities.
Though of course this happens when characters have something interesting going on, flaws and struggles, and even then it's not really clear how much of a difference can it make.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tophik
Back