What's more important when it comes to being a MMA GOAT? How many you've beaten or who you've beaten

Its all about duration on top for me.
The pressure of being champion, facing many different high level stylistic matchups, having a division of men gunning for you for years. Clearing out your division multiple times.

Bonus points for
-double champ/small for division(Fedor).
-method of victories - finishes being most valued followed by dominating decisions.
-being undefeated through prime.

In conclusion in no particular order I have Jones, Fedor, GSP, Anderson, DJ + Aldo firmly in the top 6.

And to answer your question more specifically. As a blank statement which is better, I choose quantity of title wins as it will come with the quality (unavoidable) on top of the added pressures/responsibility of being champion.

Title defenses are the biggest thing, second is who you beat while defending the title

I don't really care much about losses when it comes to guys like GSP, or Anderson
Title defenses are not the relevant measure. The title is opportunity, both in who received the shot and who you face. Bisping was a champ. Bisping defended against hendo. That is embarrassing and utterly worthless. Dustin’s resume is leagues better despite not holding the belt, as a half dozen of his names are title challenger worthy opponents

Only HWs can be the greatest because they can beat everyone beneath their weight class.

Strength of schedule, resume, dominance, and longevity are my criteria for GOAT.
Jones is the GOAT IMO. Fedor, GPS, Aldo, Silva, and Mighty mouse are in the same echelon as well. Khabib, DC, Usman, Hughes, et al a rung below.

What fight general? You mean fight without the rules?

Then he can win by using weapons, pistols, knifes, etc, what a casual way of thinking. Lmao.
Im talking a fight without weapons, a street fight. With weapons a skinny nerd could beat cain.

Since when you can't carry weapons in a street fight? Lmao.

That's why there are rules,

-Being overweight in a fight is not allowed.
-Using weapons is not allowed.

It's the same rules.
I guess, i was just thinking that a HW without a weapon vs a lighter guy without a weapon the HW wins in a fight outside competition.

Goats need everything: How many fighters you've beaten, which fighters you beat, how did you beat them, etc.. everything factors in. If I had to choose a single aspect it would be who you've beaten.

giphy.gif
LOL that's pretty lame mate

Title defenses are not the relevant measure. The title is opportunity, both in who received the shot and who you face. Bisping was a champ. Bisping defended against hendo. That is embarrassing and utterly worthless. Dustin’s resume is leagues better despite not holding the belt, as a half dozen of his names are title challenger worthy opponents
Bisping got the title and defended it once so it's not like he is in GOAT contention, title defenses aren't the only thing to consider, but the reason it matters so much in GOAT conversations is that the degree of difficulty goes way up the more defenses you have

We all have different opinions on what and who an MMA GOAT is. What do you think is more important?

Beating undefeated like Khabib and Jon?

Having a few Ls but beating the best of the best in their division like Silva, GSP, BJ,Fedor, Etc
Jon is the best of both world. He's beaten everyone from the knowns to the unknowns.

You know you're good when they started giving non recognizable people world title shots because you beat everyone else already.

Title defenses are the biggest thing, second is who you beat while defending the title

I don't really care much about losses when it comes to guys like GSP, or Anderson

Guys like Tony never had the belt but I'd rank him ahead of some of the other former LW champs so I don't think defences should be the be all and end all.

Same with Poirier and Fitch.

Guys like Tony never had the belt but I'd rank him ahead of some of the other former LW champs so I don't think defences should be the be all and end all.

Same with Poirier and Fitch.
You guys take everything literally, yeah once you get to the 30th ranked GOATs title defenses are less important lol

A few things for criteria to be based on:

# of top 10 wins
# of losses in the fighters prime & what caliber of opponent did they lose to?
# of title defenses
# of unbeaten fights during their best streak of wins
# of times they were they busted for performance enhancing drugs

Strength of schedule, resume, dominance, and longevity are my criteria for GOAT.
Jones is the GOAT IMO. Fedor, GPS, Aldo, Silva, and Mighty mouse are in the same echelon as well. Khabib, DC, Usman, Hughes, et al a rung below.
strength of schedule, aldo???
Bisping got the title and defended it once so it's not like he is in GOAT contention, title defenses aren't the only thing to consider, but the reason it matters so much in GOAT conversations is that the degree of difficulty goes way up the more defenses you have
that’s why IMO strength of schedule matters more than title defense. Title defense SHOULD mean opposition is better, but often times that’s simply not the case

strength of schedule, aldo???

that’s why IMO strength of schedule matters more than title defense. Title defense SHOULD mean opposition is better, but often times that’s simply not the case
Why do you guys want to bring up people like Bisping who nobody considers the GOAT? You’re just being argumentative for the sake of it. Who do you have as GOAT? For some reason I bet it’s someone with several title defenses.

Why do you guys want to bring up people like Bisping who nobody considers the GOAT? You’re just being argumentative for the sake of it. Who do you have as GOAT? For some reason I bet it’s someone with several title defenses.
Khabib, world class resume and resoundingly dominant. Didn’t ever even get damaged. Then I give Andy, max, mm, Jones

Back