What's more devastating, straight overhand or looping overhand?

Depends. One isn't definitively more "devastating" than the other.

Always enjoyed Carwin's beauty of a straight right.

vZDgT8ZN89jetxsYLDVgPJCKz5ZHb8bux2MK-7RgMjk.gif

pRscPsA.gif

In general, you’re able to harness more power in the overhand right. The effectiveness of each blow is a separate debate imo.

Chuck was the best at it. I swear most of his Tko finishes and KOs came from that

What's a straight overhand?

It goes straight like Fedor's and Canelo's gif.

But if you look at Chuck's it loops but it has straight downward action at the end almost like a pitching mechanic I guess.

But if you look at hendo, it loops it's not straight

In general, you’re able to harness more power in the overhand right. The effectiveness of each blow is a separate debate imo.

All things being equal I would choose a straight right for a few reasons. My point was that the extent to which they are devastating depends on the situation.

This.....it's a straight punch...but then you quickly twist it violently into an overhand...

FamiliarGlamorousFulmar-size_restricted.gif

no it's overhand

straight ko is like someone posted up Carwin and Usman

First and foremost, the delivered blow is certainly depends on the resistance of the target because the punch is not delivered as the free flight of an object and the kinetic chain is involved in any punch of consequence.
{<redford}

This is the one I think is the most power but takes longer to get there ..I think the key there is how quickly Chuck moves his head to the side and just goes over quick like that. Devastating if it lands....thats gotta feel real good landing on the your forehead. fuckkkk. broken skull..

I don't think I can remember a lot of people who throws it like that maybe JDS but not a lot

It is whichever one the opponent doesn't see coming.

The looping overhand might have more power but it's slower, whereas the straight overhand is much faster, especially if it's thrown like Fedor's. With the smaller MMA gloves, the straighter overhand might be more effective

GrandSizzlingBagworm-size_restricted.gif

Poor Michael Johnson. I remember thinking he was going to be pretty good....but he has some spectacular losses.

So, in MMA, probably the most knock out inducing punch is overhand right. I mean unlike jab where a lot of people just throw it out straight, though I guess you can have variation on it, overhand right seems to have two main variation.

You throw it straight down the pipe

1258048176_fedor-blood-punch.gif

or you loop it

23074c3da68998ecfbfc1f25b2bc3be4.gif

What do you think is more devastating and what do you think we see more often in MMA?

Discuss Sherbros
Is it just me or do these look the same?

Is it just me or do these look the same?
It looks similar but it's in the way you come in. The straight overhand is more like diving in with a straight punch, and the looping is where you really come in looking to throw a baseball. The way Kamaru ko'd Masvidal you see a more clear example of the straight one.

The smart ass answer is that the more devastating one is the one that lands. I.e. it depends where the guard is, who's throwing it, etc. They're both good shots. I believed I heard Fedor's overhand referred to as a "casting punch" named after the motion being like casting a fishing rod or something like that.

Fedor taught Canelo how to throw overhand right imo

ShrillFlatLemur-size_restricted.gif

And more of looping overhand in boxing, I guess I should post one more to balance it out lol

DecimalGrossCob-max-1mb.gif
Yeah bro Fedor invented the straight lmao

They are the same technique, the overhand. There is a slight variation between how different people do any technique.

Dude they are not. Punching is same technique.

Back