What's more devastating, straight overhand or looping overhand?

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
So, in MMA, probably the most knock out inducing punch is overhand right. I mean unlike jab where a lot of people just throw it out straight, though I guess you can have variation on it, overhand right seems to have two main variation.

You throw it straight down the pipe

1258048176_fedor-blood-punch.gif

or you loop it

23074c3da68998ecfbfc1f25b2bc3be4.gif

What do you think is more devastating and what do you think we see more often in MMA?

Discuss Sherbros

It is whichever one the opponent doesn't see coming.

The looping overhand might have more power but it's slower, whereas the straight overhand is much faster, especially if it's thrown like Fedor's. With the smaller MMA gloves, the straighter overhand might be more effective

GrandSizzlingBagworm-size_restricted.gif

First and foremost, the delivered blow certainly depends on the resistance of the target because the punch is not delivered as the free flight of an object and the kinetic chain is involved in any punch of consequence.

Last edited:
So, in MMA, probably the most knock out inducing punch is overhand right. I mean unlike jab where a lot of people just throw it out straight, though I guess you can have variation on it, overhand right seems to have two main variation.

or you loop it

What do you think is more devastating and what do you think we see more often in MMA?

Discuss Sherbros
neither one nor the other....it all depends on the position of the head. If you catch the chin/jaw in a way to spin the head, either will devastate........

Chuck's looping STRAIGHT overhand.

d6947f25e4e79b6b4c6ad8fca390ffcc.gif
This is the one I think is the most power but takes longer to get there ..I think the key there is how quickly Chuck moves his head to the side and just goes over quick like that. Devastating if it lands....thats gotta feel real good landing on the your forehead. fuckkkk. broken skull..

or you loop it

Discuss Sherbros

Depends who is throwing it...but I go with the rotational mechanic punches that Mike Tyson threw. But to answer your question between the two, it all depends on the situation.

Looping Overhand right (haymaker) is used more in mma and to better effect imo. Not as many people use jab effectively in MMA and the overhand right is a great counter. Maybe a reason we don't see it as much. The boxing and set-ups aren't as nuanced in mma.

Imo left roundhouse kick is the new hot ko technique.

Back