What's more devastating, straight overhand or looping overhand?

So, in MMA, probably the most knock out inducing punch is overhand right. I mean unlike jab where a lot of people just throw it out straight, though I guess you can have variation on it, overhand right seems to have two main variation.

You throw it straight down the pipe

1258048176_fedor-blood-punch.gif

or you loop it

23074c3da68998ecfbfc1f25b2bc3be4.gif

What do you think is more devastating and what do you think we see more often in MMA?

Discuss Sherbros
Looping

They’re all great weapons and a time and a place for all.

like the first time you sleep with a lady. That you like. You’re not going to be pile driving butt fucking her or spitting in her mouth.

you just do straight missionary and maybe work her ribs over a bit. Just to set a tone for things to come.

none is better than the other it’s just a timing thing. In my opinion.
<{1-17}>

Learn to express yourself correctly. What you said is absurd. An overhand is an overhand; how it looks depends on several factors, where the fighter has their hand when they start the punch, what their body position was and finally natural differences between people.

yeah punch is a punch

hook=jab

no a jab is a jab and a hook is a hook. It's very simple. But apparently it's all beyond your comprehension.

nah obviously just playing at your level of logic.

It is whichever one the opponent doesn't see coming.

The looping overhand might have more power but it's slower, whereas the straight overhand is much faster, especially if it's thrown like Fedor's. With the smaller MMA gloves, the straighter overhand might be more effective

GrandSizzlingBagworm-size_restricted.gif

Exactly, someone in the boxing section said something like "it depends what your opponent gives you". Personally on the odds a straight right would work better for self defence (or maybe a couple) but whatever works.

I've always been partial to straights, but everything has its purpose, and it's all situational.

So, in MMA, probably the most knock out inducing punch is overhand right. I mean unlike jab where a lot of people just throw it out straight, though I guess you can have variation on it, overhand right seems to have two main variation.

or you loop it

What do you think is more devastating and what do you think we see more often in MMA?

Discuss Sherbros
The one you do not see hits you the hardest.
In terms of how much force, I think they are pretty much the same (depending on the fighter)

It goes straight like Fedor's and Canelo's gif.

But if you look at Chuck's it loops but it has straight downward action at the end almost like a pitching mechanic I guess.

But if you look at hendo, it loops it's not straight

Hendos H bomb actually does turn into a straight punch. It's literally how Dan himself describes the punch

Hendos H bomb actually does turn into a straight punch. It's literally how Dan himself describes the punch

it doesn't mean the one he threw at that moment is a straight punch tho.

I know he throws straight overhand too but I don't think that was the one from what I can see.

or you loop it

Discuss Sherbros
Well the thing with the Fedor clip is he launched his entire body into it like a javelin ep when you see the replay from above...so I think it does add alot more power to someone who already hits like a fucking mule. Fedor's punch is similar to Usman's ko on Masvidal.

Couldnt find that angle but here it slowed down at least

ImpassionedRepulsiveAnura-size_restricted.gif

I believe the looping punch has more power, but I still prefer going straight down the pipe.

All things being equal I would choose a straight right for a few reasons. My point was that the extent to which they are devastating depends on the situation.

I would absolutely choose a straight right over a looping one every time. In sparring, I was more of a precision guy that is more defensive by nature. I still think if you’re measuring actual force and damage, the looping shot generates more power. A straight right may have a greater effect if it’s strategically placed, but I don’t think you can generate the same force.

I would absolutely choose a straight right over a looping one every time. In sparring, I was more of a precision guy that is more defensive by nature. I still think if you’re measuring actual force and damage, the looping shot generates more power. A straight right may have a greater effect if it’s strategically placed, but I don’t think you can generate the same force.

I mean straight overhand not straight

Back