What was worse for MMA?

Which was worse for MMA?

• Total voters
Tim was already making the freak show rounds at the time, and the spotlight on his MMA career had long since faded. It didn't really mean anything.

Neither does this fight, to be honest. It just hurts Askren's stock. Wrestler wanted to play boxer, and got fucked up by a boxer. MMA will be fine. Askren continues to put an embarrassing cap on what was once a very promising career.

Jake Paul by far, one because it makes headlines in this media loving times, and 2, Mercer was a legit boxer, this guy is a youtuber, while legit trained, still a guy that went into boxing recently making a fool out of a former (retired) MMA world champion.

Just look at the mma bias before the fight. It was clear this was mma vs boxing and everyone in the mma community expected Ben to win because of his wrestling and mma experience as an olympian and 2x mma world champion over Jake Paul who has only be training boxing for 2 years. If you don't think this event was structured to be boxing vs mma and the mma community wasn't expecting and hoping Ben to win you are lying to yourself. The outcome isn't what you guys wanted and now you guys are backtracking like this fight didn't mean anything. If Ben won you guys would be all over this running with the opposite narrative of what is going on currently. That's what happens when you guys view things emotionally and can't see things for what they are. Boxing is very different and mma community didn't respect the differences and skill gap and that's what happens.

I'm a fan of both sports so I could see the situation with no bias and saw a clear cut winner in Jake Paul even though I'm not a fan of his. Everyone else couldn't see things any other way than Ben winning because of their mma bias and/or less knowledge about pure boxing that made them think Askren would win because of his wrestling/mma experience. The skill difference between the 2 in boxing is obvious. If people couldn't figure that out they really didn't know what they are looking at and it's that simple.

So you can go back and look for all the people that picked Ben to win and all their reasons to why he would win and you can go from there.

Yes I get that MMA took a hit with casual zombies who know nothing about MMA, I already conceded that point before your first reply

I think you are missing my point. I, along with many others who are not zombie casuals to MMA did not give this exhibition any merit. So before you contend that this that or the other about who was betting on who to win, focus on my point which is MMA is NOT affected when the worst possible male striker loses in a fake boxing match. Its really not that hard to understand.

Boxers are very good at calling out mma fighters in boxing.. i'll leave it at that..
What boxer has ever called out an MMA fighter for a boxing fight? MMA fighters are the ones begging for an asswhopping in order to make some money.

I don't think it's all that bad for MMA.

anybody that ever saw Askren strike knew he had no business in a boxing ring.

hell look at weigh in pics, Paul is in shape, Askren liked like a soccer dad.

idgaf if he's a youtuber, one guy been training boxing and taking it fairly seriously a couple years, other was an elite wrestler with historically bad striking, what did you expect?

Yes I get that MMA took a hit with casual zombies who know nothing about MMA, I already conceded that point before your first reply

I think you are missing my point. I, along with many others who are not zombie casuals to MMA did not give this exhibition any merit. So before you contend that this that or the other about who was betting on who to win, focus on my point which is MMA is NOT affected when the worst possible male striker loses in a fake boxing match. Its really not that hard to understand.
It's not just this fight. MMA hasn't won vs boxing at all in any of their fights. So to everyone and not just including casuals it's pretty clear cut that it's boxing > mma when it comes to boxing skills. There is a reason why boxers are giving mma fighters big pay days. They are looking at mma fighters as an easy pay day. The boxers aren't worried about their skill set at all and that's why you have Oscar DeLa Hoya coming out of retirement and calling out active mma fighters. Boxers understand the skill difference, it's the mma community that doesn't.

It's not just this fight. MMA hasn't won vs boxing at all in any of their fights. So to everyone and not just including casuals when it's pretty clear cut that it's boxing > mma it comes to boxing skills.

You are validating the Askren v Paul exhibiton last night and expecting me to do the same so I can see your illogical conclusion that MMA is affected negatively when the worst possible male MMA striker loses in a fake boxing match. NO ONE cares about Ben Askrens boxing credentials. Whether MMA experts or boxing experts picked him to win does not have any bearing on what someone that is NOT a casual thinks about MMA

when a boxer defeats the worst mma striker in an MMA match then I will contend that MMA takes a hit, until that time I have nothing left to say, it will be straight up gifs for you from now on.

A guy who has trained for boxing for 3 years beating an MMA fighter who always had shit striking in a boxing match is nowhere near as bad as a boxer KOing a former HW champion who wasn't out of his prime yet in an MMA fight

You are validating the Askren v Paul exhibiton last night and expecting me to do the same so I can see your illogical conclusion that MMA is affected negatively when the worst possible male MMA striker loses in a fake boxing match. NO ONE cares about Ben Askrens boxing credentials. Whether MMA experts or boxing experts picked him to win has any bearing on what someone that is NOT a casual thinks about MMA

when a boxer defeats the worst mma striker in an MMA match then I will contend that MMA takes a hit, until that time I have nothing left to say, it will be straight up gifs for you from now on.
No you are using the fight last night and now trying to discredit Askren because he didn't win. MMA has been losing to boxers, it isn't just this fight. MMA hasn't been able to beat boxing yet, so until they do it's not just a casual narrative. It is the actual narrative.

No you are using the fight last night and now trying to discredit Askren because he didn't win. MMA has been losing to boxers, it isn't just this fight. MMA hasn't been able to beat boxing yet, so until they do it's not just a casual narrative. It is the actual narrative.
giphy.gif

You are validating the Askren v Paul exhibiton last night and expecting me to do the same so I can see your illogical conclusion that MMA is affected negatively when the worst possible male MMA striker loses in a fake boxing match. NO ONE cares about Ben Askrens boxing credentials. Whether MMA experts or boxing experts picked him to win does not have any bearing on what someone that is NOT a casual thinks about MMA

The casual narrative matters way more than what hardcore fans think. It's what drives the business and mainstream perception.

I agree with your general points but MMA did beat boxing once at least when Couture subbed Toney, unless you mean a MMA fighter out boxing a boxer.

So should that full time fighter for over 20 years an at age 47 be able to take a guy like Gallen out? Muhammad Ali struggled vs a damn football player when he got to certain age. Roy Jones jr lost to Danny Green, Manny Pacquaio lost to Jeff Horn

yes

I'll go with mercer because Big Tim was actually an accomplished striker..

This cause Tim Sylvia had already been sterotyped as a weak champion of the weakest division in the sports history and cause Ray Mercer wasn't Jake Paul and wasn't going to loudly declare boxings supremacy. The issue isn't so much Askren losing but who he lost to and how the publics going to perceive the result.

Jake's framed it as "boxing v MMA" and Askren as an "elite MMA fighter" he knows that's leaving out context and he knows the vast majority of people aren't going to care about that context.

Back