• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

What was worse for MMA?

Which was worse for MMA?

• Total voters
Ray Mercer was a legit pro boxer who fought at a high level at one point in his career.

Paul is a youtube star.

Ben askren utterly embarrassed MMA for a payday. Dude should be bood by fans and ridiculed by his peers at every turn.

There should be an option for “I’m an MMA fan and I want to choose neither.”

This was an L for MMA, but I can accept it and the sport will move on just fine.

It's more embarrassing that the majority of Sherdog actually picked Askren to win the boxing match.

Nobody knew about Mercer/Sylvia.Its a different era and different level of exposure.
Plus Mercer>Paul

Dana White under Disney is now an errand boy sent by grocery clerks to collect a bill. This much should be obvious
f564b643db86bb8c26b80f5e006ac7d5.gif

Lol, none of these does anything for or against MMA as a whole. The only type of people who could make an opinion on the entire sport of MMA based on this are completely braindead and don't matter, and they wouldn't have ever gotten into MMA anyway.

Plus, we will always have Artem.

Last edited:
The Mercer one imo.
-MMA was younger
-Sylvia was a UFC champ
-The fight was MMA, not boxing
-Even faster KO
-Wasn't as much of a sideshow as Triller
-Both heavyweight while Askren was a fat WW fighting at Cruiserweight

The one more casuals could stupidly interpret as meaning anything... Though really who cares.

Jake Paul is a Youtuber. Mercier is a former world champion.

Regardless of Jake clearly having great power for a Youtuber, it's not even close that an actual fighter got KO'd like that lol.

Ray Mercer is legit

Jake Paul some angry bum

easily Jake Paul

Jake Paul has a broader influence, so it's technically worse. However, people can still say Askren would have easily beaten Paul in a MMA fight (which is true).

Ray Mercer is far worse for those who know both sports.

Askren vs Paul hit a bigger audience but I'd say Mercer vs Sylvia was the more embarrassing loss. Ray Mercer was old and fat himself and still knocked out Sylvia under his own rule set, Tim should have easily won that fight.

Really both just not relevant but being that all of askrens boys and Dana backing him, that was just...just ....embarrassing. It looked like a Will Ferrell skit.

Ben coming in with his fun body and got fucking buried with overhand as it didnt last long.

As long as they promise not to take me down, I'd fight Askren or Shields ..... and id like my chances.

I don't think either were bad for MMA. Sylvia is a striker and showed up in terrible shape and Mercer was a great boxer and has good KO power. Askren is a terrible striker, has a bad hip was out of shape and fought someone that has some boxing skill, was in great shape and has like 20lbs on him.

I will say Mercer beating Sylvia was more unexpected for me though.

The Mercer one imo.
-MMA was younger
-Sylvia was a UFC champ
-The fight was MMA, not boxing
-Even faster KO
-Wasn't as much of a sideshow as Triller
-Both heavyweight while Askren was a fat WW fighting at Cruiserweight

Sylvia Mercer was basically agreed to be a boxing fight they originally wanted but boxing commission wouldnt sanction. Then they had a gentleman's agreement to keep it standing so it wasnt really an MMA fight

CM Punk vs Mike Jackson was far worse for MMA than either of those fights.

Back