What was worse for MMA?

Which was worse for MMA?

• Total voters
in what way does the worst male striker in UFC history losing a fake boxing match hurt MMA? ...other than to gen zombie casuals who can't handle the aggressive nature of MMA and red pilled Dana White's politics in the first place
Because it's the perceived skill set that comes with being a mma world champion in 2 major promotions and a UFC vet ranked in the top 10. Just like all the mma fans and fighters all thought Ben was going to win because of his wrestling and mma experience, since he was an olympian and mma world champion. People didn't respect boxing enough and underestimated Jake Paul. That's what happens. People really don't understand the skill difference in boxing, there's a reason why they are getting paid the way they are getting paid and mma fighters aren't switching to boxing. Jake Paul has only been training for a couple of years.

This was simply mma bias thinking they can beat everyone because of their mma "experience" which means absolutely nothing in boxing.

I used to think the same way until the McGregor vs Mayweather fight. That showed me the level difference between mma and boxing and the skill gap between the 2. That's when I focused on boxing myself from a pure boxing lens and not an mma boxing lens.

Last edited:
Fortunately, Jake Paul fans have 30-second attention spans. They probably already forgot about the fight and are worrying themselves over the most recent influencer scandal.

Ben. Ray Mercer is a legendary boxer who fought at the highest level and it was a gentleman’s agreement that tim wouldn’t wrestle him. So he got knocked out. Ben is a pro Mma fighter and former champion. (In the b leagues sure) this was way way worse for mma. Jake Paul is not a pro boxer!!!! Lol

in what way does the worst male striker in UFC history losing a fake boxing match hurt MMA? ...other than to gen zombie casuals who can't handle the aggressive nature of MMA and red pilled Dana White's politics in the first place

This narrative is the fault of the MMA side. Dana White is the one who started a narrative that because Ben was a MMA fighter he automatically beats the Youtuber. wrong. Dana White also said some stupid shit about sending Amanda Nunes to fight him.....wrong, shes a 5'8" female that weight 155lbs in shape before a cut. She would get smashed against a 200lb 24 year old guy in boxing.

If the MMA narrative had more respect it wouldn't be an issue. Dana White should have came out and said "i have no fucking clue if a retired mma fighter with horrific striking who is 6 months off hip surgery can win in a boxing match against a 24 year youtube kid who is dedicated to boxing and bigger in size" instead of "ill bet 1 million dollars Askren wins!!!!"

Moral of story; don't automatically assume MMA guys can do certain things because they fight in MMA.

Jake Paul can really box. I'd like to see him fight someone his own size, and who can actually strike. Nate Diaz or Nick Diaz would be awesome.

Because it's the perceived skill set that comes with being a mma world champion in 2 major promotions and a UFC vet ranked in the top 10. Just like all the mma fans and fighters all thought Ben was going to win because of his wrestling and mma experience, since he was an olympian and mma world champion.

giphy.gif

Like I said, this only hurts MMA in the eyes of gen z casuals. Anyone who has half a functional brain would not associate what Paul v Askren did as anything other than an amateur spectacle for zombies

Neither.
The mayhem Miller vs team cesar gracie debacle on CBS was a bigger black eye.
Jake Paul has been seriously focused on training boxing for years people are so wrapped up on his youtube persona. Askren isn't a boxer at all. The fact that so many people on here are make so many of the same thread and saying the most ignorant shit........ THAT'S EMBARRASSING

Honestly neither,

if Jake Paul beat Askren at wrestling that would be embarrassing

the time Sylvia fight was so long ago, and was basically a boxing match

3) the fight I find most embarrassing was Mark Hunt losing a boxing match to a Rugby player .. but no one likes to mention that
The "rugby player" is 10-0-1 in pro boxing while Hunt is 0-2-1. What are you getting at?

giphy.gif

Like I said, this only hurts MMA in the eyes of gen z casuals. Anyone who has half a functional brain would not associate what Paul v Askren did as anything other than an amateur spectacle for zombies
Not just for casuals, if you think this didn't hurt mma's reputation at all you are in denial.

This narrative is the fault of the MMA side. Dana White is the one who started a narrative that because Ben was a MMA fighter he automatically beats the Youtuber. wrong. Dana White also said some stupid shit about sending Amanda Nunes to fight him.....wrong, shes a 5'8" female that weight 155lbs in shape before a cut. She would get smashed against a 200lb 24 year old guy in boxing.

If the MMA narrative had more respect it wouldn't be an issue. Dana White should have came out and said "i have no fucking clue if a retired mma fighter with horrific striking who is 6 months off hip surgery can win in a boxing match against a 24 year youtube kid who is dedicated to boxing and bigger in size" instead of "ill bet 1 million dollars Askren wins!!!!"

Moral of story; don't automatically assume MMA guys can do certain things because they fight in MMA.

Sending women or the worst strikers to sign up for fake boxing matches is a bad idea, no shit. But as I said this doesn't in any way affect MMA negatively if you have any common sense that doesnt require you to flush after you finish

Jake Paul KOing Ben Askren or Rey Mercer KOing Tim Sylvia?

tumblr_p0xovcn6wI1qd4esao1_500.gifv

For casuals it's definitely Paul beating Askren, even if hes not a striker he is a experienced vet and was a top level fighter. For hardcores it's probably Mercer beating Sylvia, Sylvia was not only a former UFC HW champ he was a striker and he got beat in MMA.

Overall I'd say is Paul winning, even tho Sylvia got KOd under 10 secs in MMA. The brand of the UFC having the most skilled and toughest fighters going away. Although Paul has been training for couple years now hes still a youtuber to most people and losing to him is a terrible look.

Sylvia got dropped by a guy who was a legit top tier boxer.

Askren got dropped by a millenial youtuber with ADHD.

I don't think they are comparable.

The real answer, which luckily nobody really knows about it as far as casuals, is 15-0 Benji Radach getting knocked out by an amateur boxer over a girl

Not just for casuals, if you think this didn't hurt mma's reputation at all you are in denial.

If you think anyone with half a fucking brain gave 4 fucks about Ben Askrens reputation in terms of boxing credentials before or after this exhibition then it's a miracle you could even figure out how to spell your own name

The "rugby player" is 10-0-1 in pro boxing while Hunt is 0-2-1. What are you getting at?
Hunt is full time fighter for over 20 years, primarily a striker and i use that term loosely cause he mainly just punched..he was feared as a striker in MMA

Paul Gallen is a retired rugby league player , who’s basically focused on boxing once his career was over to stay fit and making money as a celebrity boxer like Jake Paul ... it doesn’t say much for the standard of boxing either that he can rise in the ranks so high

The sarcastic (snarky?) mocked Sylvia v Mercer then just like they’re mocking the Askren bout today. Today no one cares.

All in all they’re both virtually meaningless, and in 10 years few will care about the Askren bout, just like few care about the Sylvia bout today.

Hunt is full time fighter for over 20 years, primarily a striker and i use that term loosely cause he mainly just punched..he was feared as a striker in MMA

Paul Gallen is a retired rugby league player , who’s basically focused on boxing once his career was over to stay fit and making money as a celebrity boxer like Jake Paul ... it doesn’t say much for the standard of boxing either that he can rise in the ranks so high
So should that full time fighter for over 20 years an at age 47 be able to take a guy like Gallen out? Muhammad Ali struggled vs a damn football player when he got to certain age. Roy Jones jr lost to Danny Green, Manny Pacquaio lost to Jeff Horn

Sending women or the worst strikers to sign up for fake boxing matches is a bad idea, no shit. But as I said this doesn't in any way affect MMA negatively if you have any common sense that doesnt require you to flush after you finish

Most people don't have common sense hence the point of OPs thread. Yes no shit Sylvia losing or Ben losing doesn't mean anything to anyone with actual sport acumen. We are talking about general narrative and when the face of MMA(Pink Goof) is stating that MMA fighter automatically wins it's a negative narrative when the exact opposite happens. This will be making rounds on ESPN tomorrow with the headlines UFC fighter gets KO by Youtuber.

If you think anyone with half a fucking brain gave 4 fucks about Ben Askrens reputation in terms of boxing credentials before or after this exhibition then it's a miracle you could even figure out how to spell your own name
Just look at the mma bias before the fight. It was clear this was mma vs boxing and everyone in the mma community expected Ben to win because of his wrestling and mma experience as an olympian and 2x mma world champion over Jake Paul who has only be training boxing for 2 years. If you don't think this event was structured to be boxing vs mma and the mma community wasn't expecting and hoping Ben to win you are lying to yourself. The outcome isn't what you guys wanted and now you guys are backtracking like this fight didn't mean anything. If Ben won you guys would be all over this running with the opposite narrative of what is going on currently. That's what happens when you guys view things emotionally and can't see things for what they are. Boxing is very different and mma community didn't respect the differences and skill gap and that's what happens.

I'm a fan of both sports so I could see the situation with no bias and saw a clear cut winner in Jake Paul even though I'm not a fan of his. Everyone else couldn't see things any other way than Ben winning because of their mma bias and/or less knowledge about pure boxing that made them think Askren would win because of his wrestling/mma experience. The skill difference between the 2 in boxing is obvious. If people couldn't figure that out they really didn't know what they are looking at and it's that simple.

So you can go back and look for all the people that picked Ben to win and all their reasons to why he would win and you can go from there.

Most people don't have common sense hence the point of OPs thread. Yes no shit Sylvia losing or Ben losing doesn't mean anything to anyone with actual sport acumen. We are talking about general narrative and when the face of MMA(Pink Goof) is stating that MMA fighter automatically wins it's a negative narrative when the exact opposite happens. This will be making rounds on ESPN tomorrow with the headlines UFC fighter gets KO by Youtuber.

and my point is it doesn't hurt MMA when the worst male striker loses a fake boxing match. PERIOD end of story

ESPN is geared towards zombie casuals who know nothing about MMA other than Conor is the GOAT therefore this conversation can't end with basic reasoning. Dana White under Disney is now an errand boy sent by grocery clerks to collect a bill. This much should be obvious

Back