What was with the fake stoppage after a fake low blow during WB vs Holland?

I thought it was the punch after that sequence, not the knee...?
I don't remember the sequence in exact order but wasn't the punch after the liver kicks? In the next clinch. It was just 3 minutes of ass kicking combos. Kevin was probably hurting all over.

Reactions: MRT
I think Mirgliatta is a decent ref, though Saturday may not have been his best night. Nobody is perfect, and it's a tough sport to ref. I like the guy

200w.gif

Mirgliotta has been widely considered one of the worst refs in MMA for over a decade. What are you smoking?

It's because the truck didn't replay this moment. They just showed a punch that landed on the belt that wasn't exactly low.

But if they stopped the fight and then looked at replay the fight is supposed to be over. They can't just watch a replay and restart the fight if it was initially called.

The replay is just to determine if it's a KO or a DQ/NC. The fight being over still stands.

But if they stopped the fight and then looked at replay the fight is supposed to be over. They can't just watch a replay and restart the fight if it was initially called.

The replay is just to determine if it's a KO or a DQ/NC. The fight being over still stands.
Would have to go watch that minute of round 4 again. The 2 may have even verbally agreed something went low. He said ow, WB apologized and backed off. At least it didn't change the course of the fight, ended all the same a minute later.

I don't remember the sequence in exact order but wasn't the punch after the liver kicks? In the next clinch. It was just 3 minutes of ass kicking combos. Kevin was probably hurting all over.

yeah, definitely after the liver kick...It was a punch near the belt line that probably clipped the cup.

Dan probably waved it off thinking he was hit in the stomach and still hurt from that kick, so waved it off before realizing it was low blow. Despite the confusion from Dan, I think Wonderboy knew it was low which is why he just walked away instead of putting his hands up, as if he won. That's how it seemed, anyway...either way, it all worked out well as it should not have been called off at that point.

That definitely wasn't it.

Wonderboy had Holland up against the fence, and threw a punch in the clinch that (maybe) hit the cup. Holland winced and said something and then Dan stepped in and waved off the fight... only to go back on it a few seconds later.

I don't believe that is the sequence. I only watched it live but I am fairly certain Holland had his back to the cage when it happened.

I think Dan was on the verge of stopping the fight because of Hollands reaction to the pair of liver kicks just prior and had it in his mind he would stop it the next time he saw a similar reaction to a body blow. Unfortunately the next body blow was right at the beltline putting Dan in a no win situation since he didn't clearly see the impact point or hear the cup impacted.

That's not the correct gif/sequence. Wonderboy had Holland's back to the cage and punched him near the cup.
Fake narratives are fun to push. Like Luke giving Vitor a nod before eating a head kick. Look into it.

Low blows are underused.

A fighter can get away with a couple per fight, Overeem was quite a master at that.

And one cand use them as an excuse to get a break in a difficult moment, like Usman vs Colby.

They should’ve stopped the fight there regardless if it was a low blow. For the record I thought it was low.

Found it. Timestamped:

Okay, now that I've seen this that's just ridiculous by Dan. You can't call the fight and then change your mind.

If the fight's waved off but it was actually an illegal blow, that's a DQ or NC. You don't get to restart the fight according to the present rules.

I'm a bit irritated by some guys take on this. I'm fairly confident in saying that you're only allowed to hit where the skin is visible. Ergo above the belt line and not on. If my mind doesn't play tricks on me, that's the reason why boxers have these ugly ass shorts that go up to their bellybuttons.
A cup is not a condom. It doesn't start and end with your dick. It's supposed to form an area of protection. If you've ever worn a cup, you know that it sits just as high as your briefs. And your briefs usually sit about as high as your shorts. So as long as a frontal blow hits the shorts and not your belly it can always make the cup move which can hurt quite a bit. Eventhough such a strike would technically not have hit the groin, it causes real groin pain. Giving a break then is the right thing to do.

Yet another reason why MMA is not considered a real sport by many. Ref can call it off, then change his mind without a review?
If they review it then the fight has to end either way. Review can only be used to determine if a fight ending sequence was a legal blow or not.

Found it. Timestamped:

Okay, now that I've seen this that's just ridiculous by Dan. You can't call the fight and then change your mind.

If the fight's waved off but it was actually an illegal blow, that's a DQ or NC. You don't get to restart the fight according to the present rules.

If I recall correctly I could have sworn Mirgliotta did the same thing in the Mousasi/Weisman fight.

Dude is such a terrible ref.

I think Mirgliatta is a decent ref, though Saturday may not have been his best night. Nobody is perfect, and it's a tough sport to ref. I like the guy

yea Big Dan is a pretty solid ref, he makes mistakes for sure, but he’s been in the game for ages so it’s to be expected

Back