What was with the fake stoppage after a fake low blow during WB vs Holland?

Wtf was that? ref waved off the fight then decided it was a low blow even though it was clearly the belt line? Dan Mirgliotta is such a shitty ass ref.
The whole atmosphere of that fight was weird with guys bumping fists the whole time, talking to eachother, etc.
But that s typical. WB mental warfare haha. Makes it friendly and wins.

Looks pretty blatantly low to me.

I didn't watch the fight though so I'm pretty confused by the comments saying it was stopped and then reviewed and determined actually a low blow. Wouldn't that have resulted in a NC if they actually reviewed it after stopping it?
I don t think it was that sequence. It looked like someone essentially tapping to strikes, Miragliotta stepping in and ending the fight, then nope it was only a low blow you have 5' or something.

The whole atmosphere of that fight was weird with guys bumping fists the whole time, talking to eachother, etc.
But that s typical. WB mental warfare haha. Makes it friendly and wins.
Almost weird like Cro Cop v Barry. They didn't want to punch each others face.

Almost weird like Cro Cop v Barry. They didn't want to punch each others face.
Yeah kind of like that. In this case Kevin got the shit beaten out of him at the end though. But it almost felt like an gradually increasing sparring session where the guy getting the beating can opt out, lol.

Wtf was that? ref waved off the fight then decided it was a low blow even though it was clearly the belt line? Dan Mirgliotta is such a shitty ass ref.
they are told to not do that. but as a human when holland says nut shot, wonderboy halts his offense it seems like a mutual understanding of a nut shot.

was a blunder as reffs arnt supposed to do that, but in the spirit of sport i was fine with it

Last edited:
My bet is that the ref didn't see the low blow so when the fighters just stopped he waved it off out of instinct. Another cage side official then told him it was from a low-shot and that's when he switched to give him time instead. I can't find Florida's MMA rules or policy on the use of video replay.

I think he believes that he clipped the cup on the way up to the belt line

cuntpunt.gif

Well, that depends on how you measure if they're the same. Obviously they are not the same spot on the body, if that is all you're looking for then of course they're not the same.
But a strike that hits the very center of your belt line is still able to move your cup which leads to discomfort at best and can be straight up painful at times.
If fighters fought without a groin guard, the only illegal area would obviously be the groin. But they do wear a groin guard, and since that groin guard needs to cover the groin and isn't custom fit (at least I haven't heard of custom cups) it will be quite a bit larger than the literal groin.
Any strikes that hit within that larger region will cause groin pain due to the cup being shifted. But since you don't want fighters rolling on the floor in agony of their testicular pain, all strikes that hit the cup should be illegal. Otherwise that could be targeted specifically, which would essentially be just as bad as unprotected groin strikes in the first place.
I wish they would clarify the language in the rules. Also I think Dan did the right thing and wish ref's and commissions would see a mistake and fix it. The blown call in Robbie vs Askren for example. restart the fight. Dan waives off the bout and changes his mind. why can't Herb do the same?

they are told to not do that. but as a human when holland says nut shot, wonderboy halts his offense it seems like a mutual understanding of a nut shot.

was a blunder as reffs arnt supposed to do that, but in the spirit of sport i was fine with it

So call time instead of waving it off. Both fighters had stopped fighting for some reason and Holland was grabbing his nuts. They seemed to know what was up, even if you didn't.

Clarify the situation before making the fight ending call lol.

My bet is that the ref didn't see the low blow so when the fighters just stopped he waved it off out of instinct. Another cage side official then told him it was from a low-shot and that's when he switched to give him time instead. I can't find Florida's MMA rules or policy on the use of video replay.

Florida follows the Unified Rules which only allows it after the fight has been stopped, and only in regards to reviewing fight ending sequences (to determine if it was legal or not).

You don't get to wave a fight off and then just in-cage reverse it lol. The Instant Replay just gets to reverse whether it was an actual KO or if it in fact needs to be changed to DQ or NC.

I wish they would clarify the language in the rules. Also I think Dan did the right thing and wish ref's and commissions would see a mistake and fix it. The blown call in Robbie vs Askren for example. restart the fight. Dan waives off the bout and changes his mind. why can't Herb do the same?

I agree it's probably for the better that they should be able to do this if they made a quick and poor judgement call and immediately changed it once they realized their mistake, but that's not the present rules.

Change the rules first. Not just ignore them. That's already caused plenty of issues.

To be fair, Holland may be packing heat.

A low blow would have to be really precise with me, if you know what I mean.

So call time instead of waving it off. Both fighters had stopped fighting for some reason and Holland was grabbing his nuts. They seemed to know what was up, even if you didn't.

Clarify the situation before making the fight ending call lol.
I agree it's probably for the better that they should be able to do this if they made a quick and poor judgement call and immediately changed it once they realized their mistake, but that's not the present rules.

Change the rules first. Not just ignore them. That's already caused plenty of issues.
1. I just rewatched that "Groin Strike" and just before it Holland was acting like his eye was poked or something and when Dan didn't bite WB hit him on the belt and a second or two later Holland puts his hand on his cup as if he were hit low. Wasn't a normal reaction to me and WB didn't stop fighting until Dan said stop. Nothing was missed from my end. I thought the fight was over and should have been over.
2. I agree. They should be more open to changing the rules to get things

200w.gif

Mirgliotta has been widely considered one of the worst refs in MMA for over a decade. What are you smoking?
Widely considered by who? You and your buddies?

I'm nearly 50 smart guy. You've watched the sport this long and think big Dan is a good ref?
<WhatIsThis>
I'm entitled to my opinion, yes, he's decent. There is not a ref in the business that doesn't get hate on this website. I have seen every ref in UFC history make a mistake or two over the years, and some WAY more than Tan Dan. You don't have to like him, but don't hate on me because I do. Why do you care if I like the guy?:confused:

Back