What skills in particular would another fighter need to dominate Jones all 5 rounds?

TDD and quick heavy handed in and out striking , check that truly elite TDD

The key skill is taking Jones down and keeping him there. For this you would need a really long reach to close the distance.

Someone who can take him down and keep him down. Jones' long limbs will work against him in very close quarters.

Let's see.

As for the physique, I would say that the fighter in question would, first of all, have to be an explosive, fast twitch athlete that can match or exceed both the speed and the pace Jones fights at. He should also be shorter but more thickly built, and his centre of gravity should be considerably lower than Jones'.

As for the skillset, the fighter should have a grappling background, and he should be extremely proficient at moving in and out quickly. He would have to be a tricky submission artist that Jones would avoid going to the ground with. He needs to be able to constantly keep Jones on his toes by utilizing a lot of feints and level changes, provided that the imaginary fighter would be quick enough to actually force Jones to react despite the reach disadvantage. Basically what I would love to see is a fighter who is able to make Jones worry about both the takedown and the striking of his opponent, simultaniously at that.

Well even if you think a certain fighter has the skills to beat Jones there isn't no one who can beat Jones over 5 rounds. I'd say give Rashad an 85 inch reach and an extra six inches of height and he could dominate Jones as he was able to push the action for round 1 and early round 2(then came the spinning elbows. Rashad has with both elite wrestling and standup if he had the the same if not superior dimensions as Jones would be able to dominate Jones as he'd be able to take Jones down repeatedly and keep him there.

Give me an extra 40 pounds and 6 inches of heigh and 85 inches reach and Cormier's wrestling and Anderson's striking and Floyd Mayweather reflexes and Dan Henderson's chin and Maia's BJJ I guarantee I will whoop Jones' ass.

I think better wrestling mostly, though I definitely think someone like JDS would beat him.

1. Be a natural HW cutting down to LHW. If Yes proceed

2. Have Height and reach at least enough that Jones can’t just stick his hands out to stuff all offense. I’m thinking at least 6’2 and at least 78-80+ reach. If yes proceed

3. Have a great coach/camp that will gameplan and prepare him for everything he could face mentally and physically. Nobody is competing with Jones without a camp as good as Jacksons. Jones isn’t LHW champ and undefeated without Jacksons camp. If yes proceed

4. Possess great striking or wrestling. Either is fine as long as the takedown defense is there although Jones striking looks like a huge weakness compensated by his size/reach. Fighting a guy his size with good striking I think he loses the majority of exchanges and gets beat. Fighting a guy like Davis he beats him easily because even though Davis has decent wrestling his stand up is terrible.

5. ^^ based on that alone nearly everyone at LHW is already eliminated. Nearly everyone is too small. The guys that are big enough like Gus I don’t think have the power to be a real threat standing and aren’t good enough on the ground to not be taken down. The LHW division has a lot of great fighters who I believe are all technically better than Jones but will all lose because he’s just too big. Jones will beat the few guys in the division that are close to his size. Someone will come along as big and more talented than he is but right now he appears to benefit from having advantages across the board over nearly everyone at LHW.

better mma wrestling and cardio than him
not easy to find such a combination

Well even if you think a certain fighter has the skills to beat Jones there isn't no one who can beat Jones over 5 rounds. I'd say give Rashad an 85 inch reach and an extra six inches of height and he could dominate Jones as he was able to push the action for round 1 and early round 2(then came the spinning elbows. Rashad has with both elite wrestling and standup if he had the the same if not superior dimensions as Jones would be able to dominate Jones as he'd be able to take Jones down repeatedly and keep him there.

How is that possible if Rashad had a hard time taking Hendo down, a guy who is smaller than Rashad.

Rashad is an amazing grappler and an elite wrestler at 205 but he is bit gun shy and at times he over thinks and this is one of his problems.

In terms of jones, the problem with jones is if you miss a TD and he reverses you and you get under him you are going to pay a price that may end the fight. So that coupled with jones timing, speed, clinch grappling skills that are better than Rashads, Rashad would have some issues ahead of him. Also Rashad being shorter than Jones allows him to utilize doubles and singles better than Jones because he can get underneath an opponent easier than Jones can. That smaller height should make him a better double and single wrestler because of his lower profile and when you add height, he will lose that advantage.

Rashad problems are not physical but mental and he over thinks.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone can dominate Jones for 5 rounds unless it's against HWs. Jones can lose a round, like many think he did against Machida, but Jones being dominated for 5 rounds without getting subbed or KO'd won't happen.

Longer reach.

Good Point...Jon Jones could put his seed in this lady, then their kid could be best eva!

Woman-with-Long-Arms-67932.jpg

Superior wrestling would definitely be high on the list. Jones is fairly dangerous from the outside, but murderous on the inside and grappling. Someone who could win the clinch and takedown battles with him would have a much better chance. We really have never seen him man-handled and slammed, or pinned down, defending shots.

Back