What skills in particular would another fighter need to dominate Jones all 5 rounds?

A younger Anderson Silva possibly, or for favoritism, It would have to be a 6.4 Anderson Silva with GSP takedowns and takedown defense.

A good foot stomp to separate that big toe permanently

For 5 rounds? Almost none. Jones gets more dangerous the more his corner can pick up on the opponent's cues, flaws, habits then tell him what to do accordingly. I'd look for a brutal knockout within the first round or just pretty much give up hope, myself.
If anyone beats him at LHW I think it's going to be a finish. I don't see anyone winning a decision with Jones.
Definitely. Any 205er that's not Forrest, Bonnar or Tito should have the ability to knock him out, so I kinda feel it's only a matter of time until someone is able to consistently put leather on him... which, tbh, makes me think the guy to beat Jones has to be reaaaaaaaaaally smart and good at game-planning as an individual, like if Walter White was an MMA fighter lol.

Last edited:
Someone like Machida but a little bigger with a longer reach.

I think a short/stocky wrestler/grappler who has no fear and doesn't try to strike (but can take a punch)/ with him would give him the most trouble. A guy who is built like a bowling ball, take him to the ground and work from top position.

I see a lot of fighters able to beat him but they miss one key ingredient in their game that they would need to address first to become a legitimate threat , for example Te Huna has the speed and technique to knock him out, but doesnt have the grappling to keep it standing or to survive down on the ground, Texeira has the power and technique and grappling in my opinion but is damn slow and sluggish, Gustafson is lacking power and maybe grappling, Mousasi has all around game to beat Jones but his cardio is suspect and all those knee injuries make me wonder if he would be a case like Shogun...

This, I'd like to see how Jones handles those leg kicks of doom.

This, I thought Shogun was going for the leg kicks but he threw little to no leg kicks. Same thing for the rest of jones opponents. This is because the feat of being taken down and elbowed to the face. But I do believe that is Gus can leg kick the shit out jones he will be successful in his fight.

So far, Cain is the only sensible looking answer. At LHW, Jones' physical gifts and skills just seem to be too much. I know people think this is crazy, but I feel Bones could very well beat Velasquez if he didn't fight at too heavy a weight. And I know Glover is a beast, but I just feel his speed would be so far from what it needs to be, that he wouldn't do well at all. I hope Gus can somehow pull it off. He's young and is rangy enough that he may surprise people. Anyways, after all of this, I hope SOMEONE beats JBJ, as as good as I really think he is, I just can't get past what he did too Shogun.

Ability to set pace i think then put him off from his safe gameplan. Jones is not big risk taker and he fight very smart. His great size help keep him very safe.

i think Jones biggest skill is that he makes most of every advantage he has in cage. Biggest be his size and ability use it keep distance to keep him from harm and then he can set pace of fight.

Most of his opponents just try to counter him but that strategy seems to be doomed at start. I dont think he is super good in everywhere in skill wize in stand up or ground.

Jones biggest asset is his ability to set pace and distance where he can hit from outside no need to worry too much.

Other thing is his size and wrestling.

But fighter who could out pace him.

Cain
Cormier
Davis
Mousasi
JDS
Barnett

Last edited:
Head movement, speed and power.
Someone like Hendricks, or Dc.
Someone to blitz in and nullify JJs reach.

A very quick, heavy handed guy who can get inside or has a similar reach, along with outstanding takedown defense.
If Cormier had some serious knockout power I could see him being a threat, as he is very quick coming inside and certainly has the (on paper) better wrestling pedigree.

Someone with the greatest take down defence ever

the power and strength to impliment such defence against jones

cardio

and either a highly skilled striker or an above average striker with insane KO power.

What does that make? Probably someone like Chuck Liddell.

Back