What skills in particular would another fighter need to dominate Jones all 5 rounds?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by theincognito, Sep 16, 2013.

1. theincognito

theincognito Brown Belt

Do you think there's a fighter perhaps in another weight class that has the style to do it?

2. BORCAT

BORCAT Banned Banned

Longer reach.

3. Abrogation

Abrogation Blue Belt

Cain Velasquez

4. Freddy Mercury

Freddy Mercury Banned Banned

I think fairly good skills in wizardry would do the trick.

5. 100 Not Out

100 Not Out Green Belt

Speed and power. Once JJ is proper hurt and goes into Shogun territory, I can see him struggling.

6. Hans Gercmiov

Hans Gercmiov Steel Belt

If anyone beats him at LHW I think it's going to be a finish. I don't see anyone winning a decision with Jones.

7. Hanri

Hanri Black Belt

Someone who can teke him down.

8. robertsavalajr

robertsavalajr Blue Belt

Cardio, power, better wrestling. Dont know who though. Dan had a big ounchers chance and the experiemce in big fights, but that never materialized.

9. the ambush

the ambush Red Belt

A fighter with excellent durability and agility. Someone that only knows how to survive, easier said than done against Bones.

When Bones needs a new title challenger I'll worry about crossing the bridge at that time, for now there's Gustafson and Teixeira.

10. ferrisjso

ferrisjso Goat Lawyer

Well even if you think a certain fighter has the skills to beat Jones there isn't no one who can beat Jones over 5 rounds. I'd say give Rashad an 85 inch reach and an extra six inches of height and he could dominate Jones as he was able to push the action for round 1 and early round 2(then came the spinning elbows. Rashad has with both elite wrestling and standup if he had the the same if not superior dimensions as Jones would be able to dominate Jones as he'd be able to take Jones down repeatedly and keep him there.

11. DizzyYeahYeah

DizzyYeahYeah Red Belt

Can DC just fight Jones already.

12. Killroy

Killroy Green Belt

Someone with the best takedown defense ever and great striking.
    And cardio for days.

A natural 205 GSP could handle Jones for five rounds.
    So I'm not talking about the GSP we have now gaining weight until he makes 205. I'm talking about a fighter exactly like GSP but who was born to be a 205'er.

13. Le Fisticuffs

Le Fisticuffs Green Belt

Someone with great TDD. That is a must against Jones, because he can demoralize and take out anyone from the top with those elbows.

Someone with speed. Seeing as no-one's going to have a bigger reach, the key to landing punches against Jones is getting in and out FAST.

Someone who's great in the clinch. I think a lot of JJ takedowns come from the clinch, so this is an absolute must.

Someone with knockout-power. I don't see anyone beating Jones by decision, so knocking him out seems more likely.

Basically, if Johnny Hendricks could be supersized to a taller LHW, he might be able to get the job done :wink:

Gustafsson has the speed and the size, but his TDD and KO power are a bit suspect to me. Hope he wins though.

14. BGDDYKWL

BGDDYKWL Black Belt

Guys with big time power would always have a puncher's chance, but the only guy beating Jones in a decision is Cain.

15. textwarrior

textwarrior Purple Belt

In time we learn the champs weakness. AS, we knew it was wrestling. Also, not to be fooled by his flashy movements which were his set ups in striking. Basically, to not hesitate. Weidman proved to be that answer.

With Jones, the only thing I seen so far is how to get out of his clinch which Rashad exposed. Thats why Rashad went 5 rounds IMO. He masterfully took Jones wrestling away. He could get out out of Jones clinch every time. Machida had the first round, but, not sure if that exposed anything? Plus, Jones is probably only getting better which may water down Rashad's success as well.

IMO, someone with a stronger or heavier Core but with speed. I would like to see how cormier does? He may further the details on beating jones. But, IMO, someone who brings it and takes JJ to the ground. Someone who forces jones to throw elbows because he is too quick which nullifies his long reach. Someone who knows what to do when Jones puts them in the clinch....Jones weakness in striking is mid range. He has looked very slow in striking with hands at that range and thats why he elbows people at that range, its faster. I caught it before and said...wow, he looked slow there. So perhaps someone who knows how to deal with his elbows and strikes him staying safe in a mid range to jump to close range....the problem with this though, and Jones did it well against Rampage, is Jones utilized his foot work so well that JJ would glide around preventing that mid range problem. Made Rampage look sooo sooo slow. Slower then he has ever looked IMO. So the key to this mid range is someone who can take his feet away by kicks. JJ is a puzzle because he is a Brilliant fighter....he is not just gifted with reach...he masters what he does.

16. Angle Shooter

Angle Shooter Purple Belt

Invisibility.

But seriously..
    Cardio, speed, power, similar reach and at least equal wrestling.

17. RampageQJ

RampageQJ Purple Belt

Cain Velasquez, should jon ever move up. At 205 i don't see anyone troubling him overly.

18. groo

groo Gold Belt

This.....

19. Steaminalex

Steaminalex Orange Belt

A wrestler like DC, can neutralize Jones stand up by dragging him in the clinch and get him on the fence. From there, he will negate Jones reach and might be able to take him down...then again, we have not seen Jones from his back: he might be a BJJ beast....

20. The5thgod

The5thgod Brown Belt

A 205lb Jose Aldo clone