What skills in particular would another fighter need to dominate Jones all 5 rounds?

A GSP style fighter would be interesting, though he might have to have a bit more reach than GSP (proportionally). A guy with great MMA wrestling (mainly to avoid the TD) and GSP's loaded jab from the outside might actually give Jones fits.

A 205 lb version of Aldo would be interesting too, since Jones' stance should be vulnerable to anyone following a punch with a hard leg kick or kick to the midsection. But that fighter would have to have phenomenal athleticism to avoid the takedown if his combinations are going to lead him into the pocket.

A fighter with solid boxing from the pocket along with ungodly good BJJ could also be trouble. Jones generally doesn't look comfortable striking at close range, but his takedowns more than make up for this. If he was genuinely reluctant to take a fighter down, I think he could be beaten by a decent inside striker.

Saying 'a better wrestler' makes a kind of obvious sense. But Jones is very good at making sure that whenever another fighter steps into takedown range, they're already off-balance (dodging a strike or lunging with their own strike or losing a battle of hand traps), which exaggerates his already-considerable wrestling advantage over his opponents. I think a fedor-style casting punch into the clinch combo might work for a wrestler that's as good from the clinch as Bones is. But that's already a big hurdle.

Speed and power. Once JJ is proper hurt and goes into Shogun territory, I can see him struggling.

Damn man, between comments like these and that thread you made attempting to diminish Jon's victories and claim Shogun as LHW GOAT, it's pretty obvious that your juggling Shogun's teste's on your tongue.

To answer TS, it would have to be a very good/strong wrestler, well versed in both Greco & Freestyle. I'd say someone with VERY good boxing, and extremely good footwork, as well as cardio.

I think a short/stocky wrestler/grappler who has no fear and doesn't try to strike (but can take a punch)/ with him would give him the most trouble. A guy who is built like a bowling ball, take him to the ground and work from top position.

so cormier, in other words

Cardio, power, better wrestling. Dont know who though. Dan had a big ounchers chance and the experiemce in big fights, but that never materialized.

I see it the same, someone needs to have better wrestling or great TDD, footwork and good KO power. This is why I see Gus(striking, footwork, TDD) and Cormier(striking, better wrestling) as his biggest threats followed by Glover.(good everywhere but sloppy striking)

We are past the days of one skill dominating like suggested. A very well rounded fighter who is also a great athlete can beat jones if they train properly and fight with a smart game plan.

cormier mores interesting then gus and glover he needs to cut or bones move up. neither will probably happen imo the only reason bones will move to hw is when he can't cut the weight anymore

I think a short/stocky wrestler/grappler who has no fear and doesn't try to strike (but can take a punch)/ with him would give him the most trouble. A guy who is built like a bowling ball, take him to the ground and work from top position.

Gray maynard?

Cain Velasquez

To beat him up and win 5 rounds off of him, yeah. But Cain might finish him too.

JDS would probably KO him.

I think a lot of HW would be too much for Jones. They're just too big and Jones walking in there at 220 wouldn't be enough.

Speed, power, TDD. With all 3, this fighter should be fearless in closing the distance and throwing some good strikes that could potentially stun JBJ, which could lead to TKO.

His opponent would need to have are a very particular set of skills; skills he has acquired over a very long career. Skills that make him a nightmare for people like Jones.

This, I thought Shogun was going for the leg kicks but he threw little to no leg kicks. Same thing for the rest of jones opponents. This is because the feat of being taken down and elbowed to the face. But I do believe that is Gus can leg kick the shit out jones he will be successful in his fight.

Even though I previously stated, speed/power/tdd, this was one point i totally forgot about. I was expecting Shogun to use his deadly kicks as well but as we seen after Machida 2, those kicks are non-existent.

I know fighters prolly fear the TD of Jones but I still would love to see someone try and employ Aldo/Shogun like deadly kicks in a matchup against Bones to see how he handles himself.

There is no skillset at LHW that could do that. Jones has by far the best skillset we have seen at LHW. At HW, it would take someone like Cain (or Brock when he was in his prime), a guy who is physically stronger than him who could put him on his back.

Back