What quote changed your outlook on life

"Brevity is the soul of wit" by Shakespeare is prob the quote that had the most influence on me. Before that I was like a WR poster, spamming paragraphs of discussion and debate when all I really needed to do was post like 5 words about my dick
5 word about my dick is my next band name if that’s cool with you

my quotes:

Know who you are and who you represent

Most opportunity is missed because it’s often dressed in overalls and looks like hard work

Reactions: Zer
'well, at least we know she f**ks'
my dude upon seeing this hot lady w/ a baby. Ever since, i've tried to look at the bright side of things haha

"You can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit."
bork1}

I am not sure they are life changing but I keep these in mind

"No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity. But I know none, and therefore am no beast."

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men, even when they exercise influence and not authority"

"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love"

"Who trusted God was love indeed
And love Creation's final law
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and claw
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed"

"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist,"

How you do anything is how you do everything
I've heard this one in many shapes and forms and it always holds true. If you do your best when it comes to menial tasks, it carries over to all aspects of life.

Two that I’ve stolen to use at work a fair bit:

“Hope is not a strategy.”

“It’s easier to get forgiveness than permission.”

Dr. Eric Thomas' speech on motivation is my go-to for a forced adrenaline dump,
"When You Want To Succeed As Bad As You Want To Breathe, Then You Will Be Successful"

Went from homeless to earning a PhD and becoming a motivational speaker and college professor

When it comes to wit I turn to Michael O'Donoghue, who basically said don't try to be clever with insults, cut straight to ugly.

My favorite allusion to the Shakespearean sentiment comes from a writer whose name eludes me, who closed out a letter written to a friend with, "I wish I had more time to have written you a shorter letter," which is another form of the (baseball) adage: there's a lot of hard work that goes into making it look that easy. But lately I find myself striving more for understanding than exactitude, based on the human tendency to misspeak. So now I'm a real proponent of cadence and timing; how it sounds to the ear.

"I wish I had more time to have written you a shorter letter"

I'd never heard that one but it definitely speaks to me. I spend way too much time and energy on editing and streamlining. Even if it's just 10 words about fucking a midget with a bowling pin I'll probably go over it 10 times trying to perfect it. And with that said, Shakespeare's quote kind of killed my ability to write meaningfully at length as well. Not only do I stress over editing, I tunnel vision on individual sentences flowing and lose sight of the overall piece. So anytime I try and write seriously it turns into a big rambling mess, where I show bad habits like overusing words that sound slick to me

Pain is only temporary, Victory is forever

Til I Collapse- Eminem - Another adrenaline dump banger that I've hit every single one of my PR's to
'Cause sometimes you just feel tired, you feel weak
And when you feel weak you feel like you want to just give up
But you gotta search within you, you gotta find that inner strength
And just pull that shit out of you and get that motivation to not give up
And not be a quitter, no matter how bad you want to just fall flat on your face and collapse

Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain’t all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain’t how hard you hit; it’s about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you’re worth, then go out and get what you’re worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hit, and not pointing fingers saying you ain’t where you are because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain’t you. You’re better than that. – Rocky Balboa

“Because if you’re willing to go through all the battling you got to go through to get where you want to get, who’s got the right to stop you? I mean maybe some of you guys got something you never finished, something you really want to do, something you never said to someone, something… and you’re told no, even after you paid your dues? Who’s got the right to tell you that, who? Nobody! It’s your right to listen to your gut, it ain’t nobody’s right to say no after you earned the right to be where you want to be and do what you want to do!” – Rocky Balboa

Al Pacino- Any Given Sunday

I don't know what to say really.
Three minutes
to the biggest battle of our professional lives
all comes down to today.
Either
we heal
as a team
or we are going to crumble.
Inch by inch
play by play
till we're finished.
We are in hell right now, gentlemen
believe me
and
we can stay here
and get the shit kicked out of us
or
we can fight our way
back into the light.
We can climb out of hell.
One inch, at a time.

Now I can't do it for you.
I'm too old.
I look around and I see these young faces
and I think
I mean
I made every wrong choice a middle age man could make.
I uh....
I pissed away all my money
believe it or not.
I chased off
anyone who has ever loved me.
And lately,
I can't even stand the face I see in the mirror.

You know when you get old in life
things get taken from you.
That's, that's part of life.
But,
you only learn that when you start losing stuff.
You find out that life is just a game of inches.
So is football.
Because in either game
life or football
the margin for error is so small.
I mean
one half step too late or to early
you don't quite make it.
One half second too slow or too fast
and you don't quite catch it.
The inches we need are everywhere around us.
They are in ever break of the game
every minute, every second.

On this team, we fight for that inch
On this team, we tear ourselves, and everyone around us
to pieces for that inch.
We CLAW with our finger nails for that inch.
Cause we know
when we add up all those inches
that's going to make the fucking difference
between WINNING and LOSING
between LIVING and DYING.

I'll tell you this
in any fight
it is the guy who is willing to die
who is going to win that inch.
And I know
if I am going to have any life anymore
it is because, I am still willing to fight, and die for that inch
because that is what LIVING is.
The six inches in front of your face.

Now I can't make you do it.
You gotta look at the guy next to you.
Look into his eyes.
Now I think you are going to see a guy who will go that inch with you.
You are going to see a guy
who will sacrifice himself for this team
because he knows when it comes down to it,
you are gonna do the same thing for him.

That's a team, gentlemen
and either we heal now, as a team,
or we will die as individuals.
That's football guys.
That's all it is.
Now, whattaya gonna do?

"I wish I had more time to have written you a shorter letter"

I'd never heard that one but it definitely speaks to me. I spend way too much time and energy on editing and streamlining. Even if it's just 10 words about fucking a midget with a bowling pin I'll probably go over it 10 times trying to perfect it. And with that said, Shakespeare's quote kind of killed my ability to write meaningfully at length as well. Not only do I stress over editing, I tunnel vision on individual sentences flowing and lose sight of the overall piece. So anytime I try and write seriously it turns into a big rambling mess, where I show bad habits like overusing words that sound slick to me
Th fuck, dude.

I believe I copped that quote out of Robert McKee's follow-up treatise to STORY which is called DIALOGUE, and might be better than its predecessor for the purposes ITT. STORY and David Mamet's THREE USES OF A KNIFE are good for the big picture, direction, intention. 3UOTK's understanding drama is monumental to understanding some of the ways people comport themselves but does little for mechanics. With Mamet mechanics, the interesting thing for me is that he writes and rehearses using a metronome, which is why I brought up my preference for cadence earlier. No matter how well dressed or constructed, words are lost if they're not heard clearly.

Work-Taste-Gap-2.png

The Gap. What's more appreciated, but still reviled, in the art world is the Gap, though many fledging artists don't realize the Gap yet. The truth is the more you study a thing the greater your appreciation and knowledge of it, but not commensurately does your ability follow this growth. The Gap sits between your taste (what you know to be good and bad) and your ability (ever evolving). The above graphic helps artists understand their tastes may always exceed their ability; but this is a bit harder to swallow when it comes to words because almost everyone discounts how difficult writing truly is. Everyone uses words everyday, so that familiarity breeds a bit of self-contempt -- and thus the work it takes to achieve your taste level becomes this self-limitation.

It's fucked, and hard to find helpful feedback. But the truth is that while your words may not be perfect, they're probably a lot better than you've given yourself credit, which is yet another gap to overcome. Some people say that a writer is in truth a bunch of people pretending to be one person.

Reactions: Zer

I'm gonna watch this fucker on the big screen later.

Look again at that dot.

That's here.

That's home.

That's us.

On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds.

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.

The Earth is the only world known so far to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment the Earth is where we make our stand.

It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.

The one in my sig:
“It is by going down into the abyss that we recover the treasures of life. Where you stumble, there lies your treasure.”
Also: “You have to be willing to let go of the life you planned for yourself, in order to have the life that’s waiting for you.”
That quote and the one in my sig are both Joseph Campbell.

Feels like generic bullshit motivation quote from a Special-K box tbh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back