What quote changed your outlook on life

Attitude, it can be your best friend or your worst enemy.

"Sometimes you have a to crack a few eggs before you can make an omelet"

and

"We waste time looking for the perfect lover, instead of creating the perfect love."

- Tom Robbins

Watch-your-thoughts-for-they-become.png

"Brevity is the soul of wit" by Shakespeare is prob the quote that had the most influence on me. Before that I was like a WR poster, spamming paragraphs of discussion and debate when all I really needed to do was post like 5 words about my dick
When it comes to wit I turn to Michael O'Donoghue, who basically said don't try to be clever with insults, cut straight to ugly.

My favorite allusion to the Shakespearean sentiment comes from a writer whose name eludes me, who closed out a letter written to a friend with, "I wish I had more time to have written you a shorter letter," which is another form of the (baseball) adage: there's a lot of hard work that goes into making it look that easy. But lately I find myself striving more for understanding than exactitude, based on the human tendency to misspeak. So now I'm a real proponent of cadence and timing; how it sounds to the ear.

One of my older coworkers told me that he says this to his sons and I stole it any now say it to my son all the time. I think this is what many young people need to hear:

"Always have a direction. You can change direction if you want. But always have a direction."

I think too many kids graduate high school or college and say "I don't know what I want to do" and they just wander aimlessly through shitty jobs for years. It breaks my heart to run into kids with potential that are now in their 30's and they're still saying "I don't know what I want to do"

Just fucking pick something man. Train to become a plumber. If you hate it after a few years you can switch to something else, but at least now you have a marketable skill that will keep you from being homeless if you ever need it.

I've got big balls
I've got big balls
And they're such big balls
Dirty big balls
And he's got big balls,
And she's got big balls,
But we've got the biggest balls of them all!

"Do what thou wilt"

I'm not a Crowley follower but I can get behind the sentiment.

And of course, Carl Sagan which I do follow:

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

1. An amateur works when he's inspired. A professional is inspired because he is working. (This is a great one for writers block. Don't recall who said it)

2. The best days are not the ones where I get to relax and do nothing. The best days are when I have a lot of things to do and I get them all done.
--Eleanor roosevelt

3. The best way to deal with an enemy is to sit by the river and wait for his body to float by.
--Buddhist phrase, unknown origin

That 3rd one has been especially life changing, and it's a philosophy that has never let me down. Not once. The body always floats by even if it takes years.

And of course, Carl Sagan which I do follow:

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”
That line never quite hit me until it was recapitulated by psychonaut and comic book writer Grant Morrison, who piggy-backed onto the concept of interconnectedness. That connection you feel to relatives, how even over great stretches of time and distance you still feel this closeness and to the extreme people have testified how they knew what was happening to a loved one without any clue but intuition. If we could appreciate that bond when it comes to family, consider the animal that pulled itself from the primordial ooze, then the ooze itself, then the ground containing it, and the bit of star that broke off and hereby germinated in the middle of empty space.

It's funny how it all collapsed into a single thought.

"Everybody is capable of learning, anybody can be reached. Unfortunately, some people aren't worth the time." - US Navy Master Chief

That line never quite hit me until it was recapitulated by psychonaut and comic book writer Grant Morrison, who piggy-backed onto the concept of interconnectedness. That connection you feel to relatives, how even over great stretches of time and distance you still feel this closeness and to the extreme people have testified how they knew what was happening to a loved one without any clue but intuition. If we could appreciate that bond when it comes to family, consider the animal that pulled itself from the primordial ooze, then the ooze itself, then the ground containing it, and the bit of star that broke off and hereby germinated in the middle of empty space.

It's funny how it all collapsed into a single thought.

I just watched an Apollo documentary from 1989 last night called "For All Mankind". It has a lot of stuff I've never seen or heard before. One of the astronauts mentioned how when he was on the moon, it felt like this spiritual experience. Almost like he could feel millions of eyes looking up at him from Earth. He said he felt like he had been there before.

Highly recommended documentary to anyone interested in this kind of thing.

"If no one saw it.... it didn't happen"

I was getting freaky with my gf back in HS while watching the exorcist. Just as we took off our pants and had her bent over
"Stick your cock in her ass"

I guess this tops my list.

Back