What makes them think Jones would "have a hard time" at HW?

at best jj would at least be a top 10 but noway be a title contender.

Bones, with the least power in the HW Division, would beat a man with better striking, wrestling and cardio? Interesting and well thought out! ��

Jones has taken down much better fighters so far, so what makes you say he's not the better wrestler? Jones also has cardio for 5 rounds, so he's fine. Cain looked like a walking zombie after two rounds against JDS, so it's open for discussion. And I'd give Jones a slight advantage when it comes to striking as well. Standing up with Gus for 5 ronds is more of an achievement than anything Cain has done standing imo. Dropping JDS was impressive, but we didn't see a lot of striking before Cain started wrestle-fucking him.

The only HW that might get past the first round against Bones is Barnett.

Besides that, I'd bet he'd walk through the entire HW division.

He could hold the HW / LHW belts a the same time.

"Gus neutralized his wrestling by being the same height"

Ummm NO.

Gus neutralized his wrestling with good defense, footwork, good MMA wrestling, a good mind for the fight, and mostly Jones not really committing to the takedowns.

Thank you.

not that i think jones would do great or anything, i just dont know....but posting gifs of the HW champ kicking ass doesnt really mean jones would do poorly in the division. sure , champ , no...but could he do well against nog? yes. rothwell? absolutely. bigfoot silva? sure. JDS? maybe

JDS really? REALLY? Are you high? JDS would walk right through Jones like he wasn't even there to begin with.

I believe Jones could be a top 5 heavy, but hes definitely not beating Cain or Junior. Though I give him a better chance against Cain than Junior.

This isn't 2009 when all the HWs have to worry about is either Fedor or Brock. The landscape has changed drastically, Cain and JDS are two of the absolute best to fight at 265, Werdum has fixed all the holes in his game, and Cormier is having a killer streak and Barnett is hungry to make one last run. Jon Jones can easily get a title shot, but if UFC make it go through any top contenders first, I see his career gets shortened by at least 2~3 years.

He'd lose to a lot of heavyweights. I don't see heavyweights being too fearful of his striking, more so used to keep smaller guys at range. Werdum would destroy him on the feet, a majority of the top 10 would beat him with ease. He's a light heavyweight for a reason.

I'd love for him to move up and have Gus pack on some muscle to follow him. As it stands, Jones was still dwarfing Gustafsson (ignoring reach). The champ has the upper body of a HW and that can't even be contested anymore. I'd rather have him fill those legs out and challenge himself than double-talking all the time about who is and isn't deserving. If Glover doesn't knock his block off, Gus, Cormier, or Weidman will. That's right I said it.

When a guy gets dropped by Kongo 2 times in one fight, he can't box. And that guy who can't box almost knocked out JDS, so he can't box either.

BOTH EXPOSED!

Or wait, I forgot you're supposed to use your brain when making arguments. My bad.

You know that Kongo is a kickboxing champion?

If Cain wanted to cruise the fight and win easily, he could have taken him down at will.

This fight only showed that he is willing to take a punch to give one. I doubt Jones could take many of those...

well.... since MW Dan Henderson can beat Fedor the GOAT HW, i am sure most LHW would tool the HW fighters.

like Machida, i think he would put Cain a bad beat. Cain is just as big as Machida, just more fat bodyweight.
12857072929542.g.jpg

stupid people be like "weight beat everything."

i bet my sis who was 5'3" weighing at 180 pounds could crush Ronda Rousey like a baby because she outweigh Ronda by 45 pounds. my sis would be UFC no weight limited woman champion already lol.

You know that Kongo is a kickboxing champion?

If Cain wanted to cruise the fight and win easily, he could have taken him down at will.

This fight only showed that he is willing to take a punch to give one. I doubt Jones could take many of those...

Wait but thats all he did do to kongo was take him down and deliever ground and pound for 3 rounds he kept getting caught as he came in

he just fought a very close fight against a LHW. A bigger opponent would be a much tougher fight for him

I used to think a 240 lbs Jones could take the belt, but after seeing him not be able to take down Gus, I don't see him beating Cain or JDS anymore. I still think he has a good shot at everyone else though.

JJ would have success at HW, but JDS/Cain would rip him to shreds.

Because the Gustafsson fight pretty much proved what we were saying all along - Jon Jones is only a top level fighter because of how well he uses his reach and his strong wrestling game against smaller fighters. Also the constant threat of an eyepoke keeps fights from getting within range for their own strikes.

So many of his flaws and sloppy striking were on display against Gustafsson.

At heavyweight, he'd be against the big boys - who hit harder and whom can wrestle just as well. He would still have a reach advantage over everyone though.

Back