What makes them think Jones would "have a hard time" at HW?

theincognito

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Most of the HWs have the same height and reach as LHWs. Most of the good ones are blown up natural LHWs.

The heavier ones wouldn't be able to match his speed and cardio.

gus pretty much neutralized jones wrasslin just by being the same height as him, imagine that vs someone bigger than him, jones pretty much glaring holes in his distance game as everyone now knows he wont stick a hand to ur face if you really run in.

Because he just got beat by Gustafsson

cain.gif

velasquez-quick-ko-nog_medium.gif

Cain+Kick.gif

tumblr_mnndblPb581qhndw9o1_400.gif

"Gus neutralized his wrestling by being the same height"

Ummm NO.

Gus neutralized his wrestling with good defense, footwork, good MMA wrestling, a good mind for the fight, and mostly Jones not really committing to the takedowns.

It might have something to do with the fact he got his ass kicked standing against the first guy his size, and also had his supposedly godlike wrestling and ground game completely neutralized. Gus also showed himself physically stronger than Jones, even while allegedly gassed/hurt, effortlessly standing up from a Jones TD in about 5 seconds in round 5 and stuffing Jones twice after the spinning elbow in round 4.

Jones would get trashed by guys like Cain, JDS, Barnett, Werdum, DC, and Overeem. He would likely not even be a top 5 at HW in the UFC.

He'll continue to campaign at 205 as long as possible, all while hoping Gus dies in a skiing accident in Sweden in the meantime.

not that i think jones would do great or anything, i just dont know....but posting gifs of the HW champ kicking ass doesnt really mean jones would do poorly in the division. sure , champ , no...but could he do well against nog? yes. rothwell? absolutely. bigfoot silva? sure. JDS? maybe

He wouldn't do well against the top guys. JDS is a nightmare fight for him.

Some say it's height and reach, but i disagree. The biggest thing Jones has against him at HW is he doesn't have HW power. There's nothing to stop the stronger chined fighters from walking through what he's throwing to either take him down or punch his face in.

It might have something to do with the fact he got his ass kicked standing against the first guy his size, and also had his supposedly godlike wrestling and ground game completely neutralized. Gus also showed himself physically stronger than Jones, even while allegedly gassed/hurt, effortlessly standing up from a Jones TD in about 5 seconds in round 5 and stuffing Jones twice after the spinning elbow in round 4.

Jones would get trashed by guys like Cain, JDS, Barnett, Werdum, DC, and Overeem. He would likely not even be a top 5 at HW in the UFC.

He'll continue to campaign at 205 as long as possible, all while hoping Gus dies in a skiing accident in Sweden in the meantime.

Lol nice

He wouldn't do well against the top guys. JDS is a nightmare fight for him.

go look at sherdog's top 10....jones has a good chance at beating half of them outright:
Nog
DC
Mir
Bigfoot
Werdum

No, this shows you are biased.

Cain's flopping wouldn't work vs. Jones.

JDS has the skills, but not cardio for a long haul. A 50/50 fight.

Cormier is too short. He'd be on the outside all night like Rashad.

Don't make me laugh with the rest of that atrocious list.

barnetts pretty slow, i think he would have a hard time. hes big, but hes not the wreslter jones is to make his biggness count.

DC is 50/50 in my eyes

werdum doesnt have the standup or wrestling to win

overeem is a spent fighter, he doesnt have what it takes to go rd 2

I think Jones would be top 10 heavyweight. I wouldn't be surprised if he was top 5. If the cards fell right, he could even be the champ. But he doesn't beat dos Santos. JdS is too good a boxer, has too good of take down defense and has shown he has cardio to last even a 25 minute ass whopping. He is Gusty but with knockout power.

I think he lacks power. He might have some trouble inflicting serious damage to the bigger guys unless he can land big elbows constantly and he will probably have a harder time also taking the heavies down. He can build muscle and get bigger himself but you have to wonder how that will hinder his speed, explosiveness, athleticism? I guess well have to see if he ever goes up. At this point I would put him around the middle of the pack.

Back