What makes someone a casual fan?

If you are not familiar with at least 85% of the ranked fighters in all divisions but know all the top dogs and some up-and-coming stars then you are a borderline casual. If you only know some of the biggest names in the sport and only watch the main cards of the ppv events then you are a standard casual.

Anyone that has a join date after Conor came to the UFC is a casual.

Casual = Openly being a fan of the most popular fighter in Conor Mcgregor
Hardcore = Always opposite opinion compared to majority for the sake of it

I watch only the UFC really. I got into it through TUF 3 over 11 years ago. I never miss an event, I order every PPV. I make My cousins and friends and my girlfriend come over and we watch the fights.

haven’t watched Bellator, ONE, Rizin. I watch the highlights on YouTube or the play by play.

I watched Strikeforce when it was around

but really only the UFC. I spend all my time on sherdog.

I’m a white belt in Jiu Jitsu and an okay Wrestler.

Am I a casual fan? If not, who is a casual? People who Conor brought over?

IMHO The line has blurred over the years.
Before, when MMA was just a niche sport, and everyone knew everyone in any given card, anyone who just started watching were "a casual".
Then UFC popularity skyrocketed, and every time there was a crossover, the fans who just joined became the new casuals. That was true with Brock fans, then Ronda and Conor fans.

But in the old days, it merely served to identify fans, so you'd know that someone might not follow your examples (when you'd mention some obscure win by a journeymen).
Then it became an elitism. Something like "I know, you don't because you are a casual".
And then, when Conor came, the casual came with such an obnoxious attitude that even casuals were distancing themselves from these guys...

So now it's a little bit of a mess. Conor fanboys are not so obnoxious (unless he comes back and wins), but it is very rare to see old timers being as hardcore as they were in the old days.

IMHO I don't care who you are and how hardcore you are. As long as you have a good attitude, I'm fine with it.
Those who demand you to agree with them are the ones I have an issue with, doesn't matter if they are new, old fans or if they just heard about MMA.
The disrespect should not exist in a sport where the fucking basis of it is the fact most guys fight their hearts off, but at the end of the fight, almost always they go and shake their opponent's hands.

anyone who got into the sport via TUF is a casual

basically anyone who didn't watch minowaman vs sakuraba is a conor casual and zuffa zombie

UFC is not real MMA. it is wrestler oriented, homoerotic big muscle man drama show for dumb american audiences who do not respect the warrior spirit and dignity of the sport. therefore, anyone who is a UFC fan is a casual fan

m_56cf4dced3a2a7f9a9018c9c.jpg

It's the new "TUF noob".

I'd say it's fans who know Conor, Diaz, Jones, Cormier and Hunt but don't know Benevidez, Lamas, Assuncao, Emmett, or Corey Anderson. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Once at a party a loud drunk guy kept yelling "look, he's using the wizard! The Wizaaaaardddd!" I didn't engage with him, but I'm assuming he was a casual.

But was he using the wizard or was it just an open relationship?

anyone who got into the sport via TUF is a casual

basically anyone who didn't watch minowaman vs sakuraba is a conor casual and zuffa zombie

UFC is not real MMA. it is wrestler oriented, homoerotic big muscle man drama show for dumb american audiences who do not respect the warrior spirit and dignity of the sport. therefore, anyone who is a UFC fan is a casual fan
How in the world did you end up being yellow-carded? :)

I watch only the UFC really. I got into it through TUF 3 over 11 years ago. I never miss an event, I order every PPV. I make My cousins and friends and my girlfriend come over and we watch the fights.

haven’t watched Bellator, ONE, Rizin. I watch the highlights on YouTube or the play by play.

Wouldn't call you a casual at all. Casuals are hype-train followers that only watch when their favorite fighter is on and don't know shit about most other fighters. Casuals are the ones who couldn't tell you their favorite fighter's actual discipline if their life depended on it. Casuals wouldn't be able to tell you a damn thing about UFC 1 except for maybe they heard about it somewhere. Casuals are the type that come on the boards to nuthug their fav and deny any blatant faults he/she has. Want more?

How in the world did you end up being yellow-carded? :)

i said the shape of someone's face looks like a pie and a mod with higher estrogen levels than karim and helwani combined said that was "fighter bashing"

What if you've been following Mas since long before he came to the UFC? Does anyone even remember that he has ice cream for breakfast? I dont think it's just hype surrounding Mas. He's really turned it on now days and I'm impressed. No more point boxing style like his Strikeforce or his Bellator days.
Loved watching his backyard scuffles - dude had/has heart for days.

It isn't too difficult to explain, and it's the same with all sports. If you only pay attention to the events that celebrities show up for, then you're a casual. Tom Brady at a Conor fight, Beyonce at the Super Bowl, Taylor Swift at a tennis match etc. If these are the only events you watch of this or that particular sport, then you're a casual. A noob and a casual are two different things. If you're new, then welcome and enjoy MMA. If you're a casual, keep your fucking opinion to yourself and keep buying things that put money into fighter's pockets.

IMO if you only watch UFC and no other organizations I consider that a casual MMA fan.

I don't know why its considered an insult to be a casual. Casuals just have more going on in their life so don't become obsessed by one thing which is just a piece of entertainment at the end of the day which is a more healthy mindset. Its like insulting someone for not being a hardcore Keeping up with the Cardassians fan

Pretty much anyone old enough to remember watching early ufc or pride live broadcasts is now too old to be anything but a casual fan.

If you only started watching MMA as a UFC viewer and you joined this site within the last ten years you're a casual.

Back