What makes someone a casual fan?

Garnet_StrongerThanYou

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I watch only the UFC really. I got into it through TUF 3 over 11 years ago. I never miss an event, I order every PPV. I make My cousins and friends and my girlfriend come over and we watch the fights.

haven’t watched Bellator, ONE, Rizin. I watch the highlights on YouTube or the play by play.

I watched Strikeforce when it was around

but really only the UFC. I spend all my time on sherdog.

I’m a white belt in Jiu Jitsu and an okay Wrestler.

Am I a casual fan? If not, who is a casual? People who Conor brought over?

If you have to ask, you're a casual. If you' weren't, you would know it in your heart. Like I do.

People who use the term casual in a derogatory fashion are usually casuals themselves.

A casual is somebody who has limited knowledge of what they're watching.
It's also a term to throw at somebody when "expert fans" get annoyed by overly biased people who are influenced by the hype the UFC generates. (most Mas and Conor fans)

It's also a term to throw at somebody when "expert fans" get annoyed by overly biased people who are influenced by the hype the UFC generates. (most Mas and Conor fans)

All jokes aside, this is the correct answer.

It's the new "TUF noob".

I'd say it's fans who know Conor, Diaz, Jones, Cormier and Hunt but don't know Benevidez, Lamas, Assuncao, Emmett, or Corey Anderson. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Once at a party a loud drunk guy kept yelling "look, he's using the wizard! The Wizaaaaardddd!" I didn't engage with him, but I'm assuming he was a casual.

If you watch every single UFC event and recognize the majority of the fighters on the roster, you're not a casual.

If you watch the occasional event when the big name guys are fighting, you're a casual. Pretty simple.

By definition almost everyone on this site isn't a casual. If you took the time to sign up for an account and regularly post on an MMA dedicated forum, you're probably not a casual. There are obviously different levels of hardcore when it comes to fandom, but "casual" should be reserved for the guys who watch an event here and there.

giphy.gif

Conor fans are the epitome of casuals.

If you watch every single UFC event and recognize the majority of the fighters on the roster, you're not a casual.

If you watch the occasional event when the big name guys are fighting, you're a casual. Pretty simple.

By definition almost everyone on this site isn't a casual. If you took the time to sign up for an account and regularly post on an MMA dedicated forum, you're probably not a casual. There are obviously different levels of hardcore when it comes to fandom, but "casual" should be reserved for the guys who watch an event here and there.
Oh I don't know. If you come in here knowing little and arrogantly pretend like you know a lot, does that make you a casual?

That's why 'TUF Noobs' got such a bad rap in 2005-2007. Imagine if I went to a Nascar race and started spouting "Dale Earnheart is so fucking overrated! Sure he won a lot of races, but no one ever talks about how many he LOST!!! I don't care if he's dead, he sucked, what, you can't handle the truth?!?" That guy might get curb stomped, and he'd probably deserve it.

That's the forum equivalent of a 'TUF Noob' and a casual. And as UFC viewership went up, so did this type of poster. And that's why they are mocked and insulted.

But let's not confuse things. There are casuals, and then there are trolls. TS is a troll. He's probably not a casual, because he seems to know enough to get the attention he so desperately craves.

Last edited:
Back