What makes someone a casual fan?

Not being willing to pay money for a PPV, If you don't love the sport enough to pony up a few bucks every now and then you are a casual fan.

Conor fans are the epitome of casuals.
Oh the irony, all you talk about is Conor.

1zbKLji.png

All jokes aside, this is the correct answer.
What if you've been following Mas since long before he came to the UFC? Does anyone even remember that he has ice cream for breakfast? I dont think it's just hype surrounding Mas. He's really turned it on now days and I'm impressed. No more point boxing style like his Strikeforce or his Bellator days.

I watch only the UFC really. I got into it through TUF 3 over 11 years ago. I never miss an event, I order every PPV. I make My cousins and friends and my girlfriend come over and we watch the fights.

haven’t watched Bellator, ONE, Rizin. I watch the highlights on YouTube or the play by play.

I watched Strikeforce when it was around

but really only the UFC. I spend all my time on sherdog.

I’m a white belt in Jiu Jitsu and an okay Wrestler.

Am I a casual fan? If not, who is a casual? People who Conor brought over?
You are not a casual. If you only watched Conor McGregor fights then you'd be a casual.

That room reeks of cheap cologne, manlet energy, Misc/Heavies posting, striking out at the club, sitting in packs at the bar/club, "Conor could KO Stipe", "Trump offends the snowflakes lol", "How are my gains?".

Filthy casuals, baptize yourselves or risk falling into the pit of fire.

What if you've been following Mas since long before he came to the UFC? Does anyone even remember that he has ice cream for breakfast? I dont think it's just hype surrounding Mas. He's really turned it on now days and I'm impressed. No more point boxing style like his Strikeforce or his Bellator days.

The emphasis was on viewers' limited knowledge.

I reckon there are people (pro fighters included) who don't follow as many events as some people here do, yet they possess much more knowledge of all the aspects of the sport.

Posting videos of yourself practicing dick punches is a common sign of a casual.

If you watch every single UFC event and recognize the majority of the fighters on the roster, you're not a casual.

If you watch the occasional event when the big name guys are fighting, you're a casual. Pretty simple.

By definition almost everyone on this site isn't a casual. If you took the time to sign up for an account and regularly post on an MMA dedicated forum, you're probably not a casual. There are obviously different levels of hardcore when it comes to fandom, but "casual" should be reserved for the guys who watch an event here and there.
Guess I went from a hard core to a casual. Watching Dream, Strikeforce, WEC, Sengoku, Bellator, Pride, etc to watching only Bellator and some UFC events here and there. Whoops!

Guess I went from a hard core to a casual. Watching Dream, Strikeforce, WEC, Sengoku, Bellator, Pride, etc to watching only Bellator and some UFC events here and there. Whoops!

Same here.

He could have just discovered this site recently, but he's been watching MMA for years. So you can't assume someone is a casual based on that. That's a fallible way of looking at it.

I read your resume, bro.

You didn't even Pride...

Casuals say things like "<insert any name other than GSP> is the GOAT" or "Nate Diaz is a top-10 all-time lightweight".

There are some exceptions to this. I first came to Sherdog off the back of Ortiz vs Cote near the end of '04. Made an account when TUF 1 premiered, and visited and posted every day for a year or two. Eventually I got a new phone and laptop and couldn't remember my account info or email I had signed up with. I was mostly just reading the threads at that point anyway and had argued with enough idiots, so I didn't make another one until a little over a month ago.

Mostly signed back up to pass along knowledge to noobs that actually have an interest in MMA, like me many years ago, but also to smash casuals, like I was as a TUF Noob 15 years ago ;)

I also owned the Pride and UFC video games around '99-'00. Had a bunch of KOTC and Gladiator Challenge videos. Watched K-1 and Pride, Attended MMA events in the early 2000's, including WMMA, and watched a handful of the early UFC and K-1 events.

Even with all of that, it was officially TUF 1 that brought me into MMA as a full-time fan, actually trying to learn the ins and outs of it all. But with my prior knowledge of MMA, I wasn't treated as poorly as some of my fellow TUF Noobs.

In most cases, dates and posts can identify someone's approach/longevity. Sometimes, no.

I'm damn near a Hardcore in TUF Noob clothing. Far from a casual.

Mad fuckin' respect to your 02' account by the way. There's a really good chance we've crossed paths on the threads back in my accounted time.

If you can name every UFC Champion and the last 5 title fights in each weight class, you're hardcore.

I have seen every UFC fight, and I still have to look up names every week to try to remember fighters that I know I've seen (this week, it's guys like Domingo Pillarte and Johnathan Martinez).

But I never forget a championship fight. I can name every championship fight in UFC history. I expect today's hardcores to be similar, although maybe not such a long history.

Back