what is the proper response to Russia & China?

IGIT

Silver Belt
Reaction score
hi all,

i've noticed a fair bit of alarmism in the War Room regarding the activities of Russia and China. folks are anxious about China's expansion into the South China sea, along with their rising hostilities with Japan & Vietnam.

coupled with this are concerns about a partnership thats formed up between the two nations with their plans to pipe Siberian gas directly to China.

finally, there has been Putin's absorbing Crimea.

and yet...i'm unclear how people would like the US to respond? i sense a great deal of scorn for the POTUS, Mr. Obama, in regards to his action (inaction?) to China and Russia, but what exactly would you like him to do?

covert activities or drone strikes seem to be out - nobody in the War Room seems like a big fan of that.

so what do you all want? boots on the ground? what?

- IGIT

Last edited:
As I recall, US has been pushing NATO to expand east into Russia's sphere of influence for more than a decade. It's also started its "Pivot to Asia" strategy in 2010, which tensions with China flared up after. I highly doubt that American hands aren't involved some of these events.

i don't know either.
putin crossed the line and since then he must be laughing his head off as everything is going his way.
he has a sizable chunk of the ukraine back. could possibly get more in the east.
he has managed to cause death and destruction in ukraine, and disrupted the political structure.
signed that big gas deal with china.
its been a few year so far for him.
what pisses me off is that he is doing all this and seems to be completely getting away with it.

i would of liked nato/usa to of shifted thousands of troops and equipment to the border between ukraine and russia.
instead we've been hitting them with sanctions!
putin knows he can get away with more or less anything, he's not worried about obama.
thats the trouble with the west, they try to be nice guys, try to appear civilized to the world.

i'm concerned about china's presence in many african countries. they've been 'helping' many of these poorer countries for quite sometime now. they've been building things for them for free in many cases, and at some time they'll remind these countries of that.

I think we should get Western Europe, Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Australia, and team up with the Russians and Chinese, and just take over the planet.

I think the Russian and Chinese deep down inside want to be like us anyways, especially the common folk. We would be in better position to help those common folk out and help them rise over the oligarchs of those countries if we were first in league with them.

As for all the other countries they are gonna have to fall in line or else we take them out.

Obviously

1641d1362959918-north-korea-vows-nuke-u-s-1334496790782.jpg

Well they could have put some legit sanctions on Russia for one. It's not so much that people expect the west to demand war with Russia, but the fact that they put out such a big bark for such a weak bite.

The whole theme of these events reminds me of how they must have felt watching Germany swallow up country after country. Do we risk a bloody war now to avoid an even bloodier war later? The West can't do anything because they know damn well they have no idea how to deal with countries of that size in this modern age.

As I recall, US has been pushing NATO to expand east into Russia's sphere of influence for more than a decade. It's also started its "Pivot to Asia" strategy in 2010, which tensions with China flared up after. I highly doubt that American hands aren't involved some of these events.

hiya Orgasmo,

i'm not saying US foreign policy didn't help spur these events - but that's also not really my question.

my question is (if you were a US citizen), how would like the President to respond? usually there is nothing by scorn for Mr. Obama when his foreign policy is bought up - yet he's ramping down our commitments in Iraq and Afghanistan...he didn't put boots on the ground in Libya...he hasn't committed ground forces in Syria. yet whatever he does do (drone strikes, NSA activity) arouses nothing but suspicion and ill will among the citizens of the United States.

so, what exactly is it that you would like to see done?

what?

a land invasion of Russia? a naval blockade of China's eastern shores? besides all the tooth gnashing, what???

the only consistent comment goes along of the lines of, "that Obama...he's no damn good!". ok, lol, fine. so what does anyone suggest after that pearl of wisdom?

- IGIT

Nothing. Stay out of foreign affairs and try to fix shit that's wrong in America instead of worrying about what's wrong in other countries.

Isn't China already surrounded by US air fields and ports?
empire-in-asia-e1377199333368_zpsc0d59622.png

I'm not sure how accurate this is.

There is indeed a joint cooperation between the RP and US recently to allow US more access to Airfields and set up repair facilities.

The communists in my country have been crying foul

Firstly, ending our continued involvement in Syria as a means of antagonizing Russia would be a good place to start.

Last edited:

OK, that's all well and good, except for two things. You could destroy every major urban area of China and it would affect a small % of their population. Secondly, all the troops in the area is meaningless, there are more smokers in China then there are people living in the US.

hiya Orgasmo,

i'm not saying US foreign policy didn't help spur these events - but that's also not really my question.

my question is (if you were a US citizen), how would like the President to respond? usually there is nothing by scorn for Mr. Obama when his foreign policy is bought up - yet he's ramping down our commitments in Iraq and Afghanistan...he didn't put boots on the ground in Libya...he hasn't committed ground forces in Syria. yet whatever he does do (drone strikes, NSA activity) arouses nothing but suspicion and ill will among the citizens of the United States.

so, what exactly is it that you would like to see done?

what?

a land invasion of Russia? a naval blockade of China's eastern shores? besides all the tooth gnashing, what???

the only consistent comment goes along of the lines of, "that Obama...he's no damn good!". ok, lol, fine. so what does anyone suggest after that pearl of wisdom?

- IGIT
How about nothing and mind your own affairs? Europe, Japan and South Korea have been hitching a free ride for over 60 years.

How about nothing and mind your own affairs? Europe, Japan and South Korea have been hitching a free ride for over 60 years.

hello Orgasmo,

have you taken a look at the threads in the War Room? in light of the numerous alarmist threads on China and Russia, i'd have thought there would be a craving for a robust US response.

i guess not, in which case i'm mystified why Mr. Obama gets grief as "ineffectual" regarding the recent actions of both China and Russia.

- IGIT

i don't know either.
putin crossed the line and since then he must be laughing his head off as everything is going his way.
he has a sizable chunk of the ukraine back. could possibly get more in the east.
he has managed to cause death and destruction in ukraine, and disrupted the political structure.
signed that big gas deal with china.
its been a few year so far for him.
what pisses me off is that he is doing all this and seems to be completely getting away with it.

i would of liked nato/usa to of shifted thousands of troops and equipment to the border between ukraine and russia.
instead we've been hitting them with sanctions!
putin knows he can get away with more or less anything, he's not worried about obama.
thats the trouble with the west, they try to be nice guys, try to appear civilized to the world.

i'm concerned about china's presence in many african countries. they've been 'helping' many of these poorer countries for quite sometime now. they've been building things for them for free in many cases, and at some time they'll remind these countries of that.

hello there Squeezewax,

at the moment, the citizens of the United States seem to have little appetite for engaging our the planet in any kind of military manner - its a disconnect, because i also sense a yearning for the POTUS to do something about the recent activities of both China and Russia.

- IGIT

OK, that's all well and good, except for two things. You could destroy every major urban area of China and it would affect a small % of their population. Secondly, all the troops in the area is meaningless, there are more smokers in China then there are people living in the US.

What about just an air and sea battle? There might be some US casualties but I see the US coming out on top. They have lots of allies in the region too. That’s if China starts attacking countries in the pacific for no good reason. It seems like all China wants at the moment is resources.

What about just an air and sea battle? There might be some US casualties but I see the US coming out on top. They have lots of allies in the region too. That’s if China starts attacking countries in the pacific for no good reason. It seems like all China wants at the moment is resources.

hiya RIPwarrior,

resources are the reason Japan hit the US at Pearl Harbor, though.

i mean, fighting over resources wouldn't be a new thing, if it happened.

at any rate, the War Room consensus seems to be "do nothing", but post alarmist threads about the scary advance of China and Russia - oh, and to bash Mr. Obama for doing nothing.

- IGIT

Back