what is the proper response to Russia & China?

hello Orgasmo,

have you taken a look at the threads in the War Room? in light of the numerous alarmist threads on China and Russia, i'd have thought there would be a craving for a robust US response.

i guess not, in which case i'm mystified why Mr. Obama gets grief as "ineffectual" regarding the recent actions of both China and Russia.

- IGIT

Because he has done nothing ... I mean pretty much nothing at all. They could have pushed for harder sanctions or they could have used their enormous military to simply scare Russia into backing down. Realistically, they can't take major action without risking a major war, but the constant talk of "we will do something" while Putin walks over him again and again isn't making him look good. Whether this is Obama's doing or not (it isn't because Obama is a puppet) the US is looking more and more like a dog with no bite. They've spent so long picking fights with third world countries they aren't confident about fighting a real power any more. I was saying this would happen if China and Russia stood up to the US, and that is with or without Obama as the official spokesperson for the US Oligarchy.

Also, his foreign policy can't be looking all that bad. Earlier in this thread you gave him credit for not putting boots on the ground in Syria even though he was the main one pushing for war. So clearly we see Obama's foreign policy is so good he gets it right even when he trips and lands on his own head.

There is no fighting a conventional war with China. 1 in 5 people in the world lives in China. Not is of Chinese decent, actually lives within the physical borders of China. It isn't going to happen, even if Russia was on our side.

Would be great if nothing happened (with China and Russia), I got plans and things to do in the future. It would suck if total war ruined it all.

Because he has done nothing ... I mean pretty much nothing at all.

hello ZroC,

when it comes to US foreign policy, this seems to be the favored position of the US folks in the War Room, though.

to stay out of it and do nothing, and not just in regards to Russia and China - but everywhere.

- IGIT

Would be great if nothing happened (with China and Russia), I got plans and things to do in the future. It would suck if total war ruined it all.

I don't think that will happen. At least I hope not.

hello Orgasmo,

have you taken a look at the threads in the War Room? in light of the numerous alarmist threads on China and Russia, i'd have thought there would be a craving for a robust US response.

i guess not, in which case i'm mystified why Mr. Obama gets grief as "ineffectual" regarding the recent actions of both China and Russia.

- IGIT
You need to understand that US is an oligarchy at its core, disguised as a democracy. There is a wide gap in what the ruling elites in US want compared to its citizens. Popular support for non-intervention doesn't always translate into policy.

You need to understand that US is an oligarchy at its core, disguised as a democracy. There is a wide gap in what the ruling elites in US want compared to its citizens. Popular support for non-intervention doesn't always translate into policy.

And has Obama has shown with Syria (and basically everything else), policy will be dictated without even a little bit of popular support.

Oh yeah IGIT, just another little show of why people think Obama's foreign policy is a joke

Skirmishes are that and only to distract there are bigger prizes to be had in the background for ambitious nations. You only need to maintain a stout defense and all will flee. :icon_lol: Russia is a bit more hands on with surrounding nations, China likes to test the waters so to speak.

OK, that's all well and good, except for two things. You could destroy every major urban area of China and it would affect a small % of their population. Secondly, all the troops in the area is meaningless, there are more smokers in China then there are people living in the US.

That small % are the ones that matter. Why bother with the villagers and farmers which make up majority of the population.

hi all,

i've noticed a fair bit of alarmism in the War Room regarding the activities of Russia and China. folks are anxious about China's expansion into the South China sea, along with their rising hostilities with Japan & Vietnam.

coupled with this are concerns about a partnership thats formed up between the two nations with their plans to pipe Siberian gas directly to China.

finally, there has been Putin's absorbing Crimea.

and yet...i'm unclear how people would like the US to respond? i sense a great deal of scorn for the POTUS, Mr. Obama, in regards to his action (inaction?) to China and Russia, but what exactly would you like him to do?

covert activities or drone strikes seem to be out - nobody in the War Room seems like a big fan of that.

so what do you all want? boots on the ground? what?

- IGIT

If a rising tide truly lifts all boats, work to promote stability world wide and stop instigating chaos to further a short term agenda. Unless long term instability is a goal of the US.

That small % are the ones that matter. Why bother with the villagers and farmers which make up majority of the population.

That small % is more people then live in our country. China could easily, easily amass several fighting forces out of those "villagers and farmers" that would each individually dwarf the one we have. Messing with China is not a good idea.

If a rising tide truly lifts all boats, work to promote stability world wide and stop instigating chaos to further a short term agenda. Unless long term instability is a goal of the US.

The US doesn't have long term goals, that's part of our charm....

Also, his foreign policy can't be looking all that bad. Earlier in this thread you gave him credit for not putting boots on the ground in Syria even though he was the main one pushing for war. So clearly we see Obama's foreign policy is so good he gets it right even when he trips and lands on his own head.

He doesn't have the balls to go against the public (thankfully) nor the ability to sway the public on foreign policy. So all he does is what the public wants, which as is generally the case with the US (or probably any public in any country) is not much at all. And almost never boots on the ground, unless americans were killed first by the people at that ground.

So he looks stupid by overplaying what he is actually willing/able to do. He could have gotten to the same result without looking like a bluffer who doesn't follow through, that may be a problem in the future. People judge foreign policy based on what happens down the road. For example Chamberlain got the peace that most brits probably wanted too when he appeased Hitler. Now he looks like a fool.

He doesn't have the balls to go against the public (thankfully) nor the ability to sway the public on foreign policy.So all he does is what the public wants, which as is generally the case with the US (or probably any public in any country) is not much at all.

What? What President have you been watching? Continues to meddle around in Syria, despite it being massively unpopular with the public. Contiunes to press Obamacare despite nobody wanting it, etc, etc.

That small % is more people then live in our country. China could easily, easily amass several fighting forces out of those "villagers and farmers" that would each individually dwarf the one we have. Messing with China is not a good idea.
You presume a weakened authoritarian system would still have the people's support. More likely the result would be a civil war. The chinese probably have more guns pointed inward than their military has to repel invasions.

You presume a weakened authoritarian system would still have the people's support. More likely the result would be a civil war. The chinese probably have more guns pointed inward than their military has to repel invasions.

Maybe some parts of it, but it's a Communist country. The govt has absolute and total control over everything, that's how they've risen to the position they are in, namely being the world's only real super power.

What? What President have you been watching? Continues to meddle around in Syria, despite it being massively unpopular with the public. Contiunes to press Obamacare despite nobody wanting it, etc, etc.

I'll give you Obamacare as the one big risk he stuck his neck out for.

Last I heard Assad still rules Syria. Dicking around trying to help others win at minimal risk is not what I was referring to.

I'll give you Obamacare as the one big risk he stuck his neck out for.

Last I heard Assad still rules Syria. Dicking around trying to help others win at minimal risk is not what I was referring to.

If Putin hadn't came at basically told us to sit down and shut up we would have absolutely gotten fully invovled in Syria. Obama is a Liberal Elitist, he's only concerned with pleasing Academia and Hollywood. He doesn't care about popular opinion because well, he's just better than you.

Maybe some parts of it, but it's a Communist country. The govt has absolute and total control over everything, that's how they've risen to the position they are in, namely being the world's only real super power.

Do you have a hard on for communist china?

Back