• Enemy at the Gates

• Fury

• Inglourious Basterds

• Letters from Iwo Jima

• Saving Private Ryan

• The Thin Red Line

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
I like WW2 movies and you guys name a lot I haven't watched yet, so thanks for that!

Saving private ryan is the transformers of WWll movies. It's okay if you like lots of theatrical explosions and special effects.

While I'm in the "Lol @ SPR winning the poll"-crowd, I can't agree with that comparison at all. It's superb craftsmanship, and staffed by a good amount of solid actors, and it has clear pretentions of being something important, even if I don't think it manages that part very well myself. It's a far, far better movie than Transformers, even if it doesn't make any lists in my book.

The first 25mins of Ryan is so intense. I remember being in shock in the theater.

Operation_Petticoat_poster.jpg

Kelly%27s_Heroes_film_poster.jpg

Fun Fact: When Spielberg first set out to make Schindler's List, before going full-steam on pre-production, he first went to Roman Polanski, and offered him the project to direct; Spielberg feeling that Polanski out-ranked him in holocaust jew indie cred. (Roman was a child in the nazi-controlled ghettos of Poland, and lost much of his family to the holocaust, including both of his parents who died in concentration camps.) Polanski refused, still not being at all ready to deal with that situation artistically; and so Spielberg went ahead with the project, with Roman's blessing. A decade later, Polanski finally addressed his personal hell regarding this topic with The Pianist.

Check out the book 'War of the Rats' if you want a better telling of the story. That shit's one of the best WW2 books I've read

second this, great book, the film, as is often the case was meh compared to the book!

Havent watched Das Boot for years but always sticks in my mind, watched Downfall recently and that was very good. Opening of SPR is epic, didnt see Empire of the Sun mentioned yet, loved that film when i was a kid!

Patton also has a fantastic score.

Great music to accompany that film and acting performance.

Some really old vets had to leave the movie during the opening.

My grandpa being one of them.

I remember whe. The movie came out they allowed veterans of ww2 to see the movie and it was very emotional for almost all of them.

It's WWI but I loved 'Joyeux Noel', mostly because it actually happened.

Stalingrad 2013 has some of the most stunning visuals of any WWII movie ever made.
You should check it out if you already have not.

Das Boot for sure, IMO.

Downfall is great, too.

Enemy at the Gates is my favorite cheesy war movie.

Cant believe Tora! Tora! Tora! has been barely mentioned. (once?)

And Empire of the Sun, 30 Seconds over Tokyo, Dambusters, Heroes of Telemark, Battle of the River Plate and Reach for the Sky which havnt even been mentioned at all.

Thin Red Line was less entertaining than SPR, but is a more realistic war film.

Stalingrad 2013 has some of the most stunning visuals of any WWII movie ever made.
It's an awful movie, though. All style over substance, and I hated the style. I thought the visual presentation chosen cheapened the setting. I liked the critic which said it was for those who thought Saving Private Ryan should be more like 300.

Cant believe Tora! Tora! Tora! has been barely mentioned. (once?)
Considering its age and how relatively low key it is, I don't think it's really surprising. Most movies people mention here either have an incredible amount of tension or some more outrageous memorable elements (like for example an over the top acting performance, or purely cinematic scripts). TTT is more of a chronicling of events.

Great movie, though.

'The Heroes' is another one that i doubt most people would have seen or heard of.
About British and Australian commandos attacking Japanese shipping in Singapore.

Back