• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What is the greatest WWII movie?

What is the greatest WWII movie?

• Das Boot

• The Dirty Dozen

• Downfall

• Enemy at the Gates

• Fury

• Inglourious Basterds

• Letters from Iwo Jima

• Saving Private Ryan

• The Thin Red Line

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
A lot of great ones mentioned. I've always loved ww2 movies as a history person. I don't know what it is about the movie but one of my all-time favorite ww2 movies is "where Eagles dare" starring Clint Eastwood and Richard Burton.

Fun Fact: When Spielberg first set out to make Schindler's List, before going full-steam on pre-production, he first went to Roman Polanski, and offered him the project to direct; Spielberg feeling that Polanski out-ranked him in holocaust jew indie cred. (Roman was a child in the nazi-controlled ghettos of Poland, and lost much of his family to the holocaust, including both of his parents who died in concentration camps.) Polanski refused, still not being at all ready to deal with that situation artistically; and so Spielberg went ahead with the project, with Roman's blessing. A decade later, Polanski finally addressed his personal hell regarding this topic with The Pianist.

He also approached Billy Wilder, Martin Scorcese, Sidney Lumet and Sydney Pollack, before deciding to do it himself.

We got veterans/remembrance day around the corner. So let's make a poll.

I'm focusing more or less on combat WWII movies.

Easy winner:

Valkyrie_poster.jpg

Honorable mention:

giphy.gif

I voted for the Dirty Dozen out of that selection.
The Great Escape is my personal favourite - full of great characters, a tremendous cast, gripping story and superb score. It's hard to beat for entertainment. But at the same time, it has tragedy and horror, making it a bitter-sweet experience.

Check out the book 'War of the Rats' if you want a better telling of the story. That shit's one of the best WW2 books I've read

Such a great book.

Of those its Das Boot IMHO, overall Bridge on the River Kwai.

A bridge too far!
made 1977.
Not as graphic as some more modern movies, but still one of the very best.

Talvisota (aka: "Winter War")
Finnish war movie from 1989
First day at the front :)

another day, another human wave

Last edited:
SPR starts off nicely, but then it becomes meh towards the end. When they start shooting enemies like it was a video game you know you're watching a usual action drama.

It's a decent movie, but Schindler's list and Das Boot are far ahead.

Back