• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What is the greatest WWII movie?

What is the greatest WWII movie?

• Das Boot

• The Dirty Dozen

• Downfall

• Enemy at the Gates

• Fury

• Inglourious Basterds

• Letters from Iwo Jima

• Saving Private Ryan

• The Thin Red Line

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

takestwototango

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
We got veterans/remembrance day around the corner. So let's make a poll.

I'm focusing more or less on combat WWII movies.

bridge-on-the-river-kwai.jpg

I believe the audio if off a bit but this is one of the best/saddest openings in a movie IMO

No offense, but this list is... meh. Very meh.

Too many modern movies. And shitty ones like Fury? Lie down, TS. You have a concussion.

Bridge on the River Kwai
The Longest Day
Patton
Guns of Navarone
Tora! Tora! Tora!

No offense, but this list is... meh. Very meh.

Too many modern movies. And shitty ones like Fury? Lie down, TS. You have a concussion.

Bridge on the River Kwai
The Longest Day
Patton
Guns of Navarone
Tora! Tora! Tora!

Most of those films, if not all wouldn't get much votes imo. That's why I left them off.

I'm just going by what I think most of sherdog will be voting. What was your vote? 'Other' I take it?

I loved Enemy at the Gates, however the mere fact that Ed Harris was playing a German sniper should automatically remove it from this list - just my opinion.

Most of those films, if not all wouldn't get much votes imo. That's why I left them off.

I'm just going by what I think most of sherdog will be voting. What was your vote? 'Other' I take it?

Nah, I went with Das Boot. That would probably be my pick even if all these others were on the list.

SCHINDLER'S LIST and THE PIANIST got jobbed out of this poll.

SCHINDLER'S LIST and THE PIANIST got jobbed out of this poll.

I would of put Schindler's and the The Pianist but they're not combat war movies per se. Actually Schindler's List is not considered a war movie.

Dirty Dozen. Partly because so many of the cast and crew were WWII vets. When some people questioned the scene where Marvin orders his men to pour gasoline down into the bunker where the Germans and their women are hiding, and then throw in grenades, it was pointed out that these sort of things happened every day in the War.

I believe the audio if off a bit but this is one of the best/saddest openings in a movie IMO

The first twenty minutes of that movie were really very good. I think the rest of the movie really didn't quite work.

No Full Metal Jacket, list is invalid.

I loved Enemy at the Gates, however the mere fact that Ed Harris was playing a German sniper should automatically remove it from this list - just my opinion.

And also the way that Harris went out was silly. But other than that i thought it was a great movie.

Back