• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

News Carlos Ulberg v Jamahal Hill set for UFC 303 Co-Main Event

absolutely, most training camps are 6 weeks long followed by 2 weeks of weight cutting
I think there's something between an ideal 6 week camp and short notice. The term "short notice" lumps a lot of scenarios together. This isn't 2-3 weeks, or 12 days like many short notice fights are. 5 weeks is just enough time to prepare, create a tailored game plan, and be physically ready. It's not ideal but it's enough.

Winnable fight for Ulberg, he’s facing a guy with power but lacks technique.

He’s not a TD threat, it’ll be a kickboxing match.

Pick is still Hill to lose

I think there's something between an ideal 6 week camp and short notice. The term "short notice" lumps a lot of scenarios together. This isn't 2-3 weeks, or 12 days like many short notice fights are. 5 weeks is just enough time to prepare, create a tailored game plan, and be physically ready. It's not ideal but it's enough.
yeah obviously there are degrees, but i assume hill is already 2-3 weeks into a training camp while preparing for a different opponent.

yeah obviously there are degrees, but i assume hill is already 2-3 weeks into a training camp while preparing for a different opponent.
Hill has to adjust to a diff opponent himself, a much more dynamic one. Of course he has an edge but it's not ideal for him either.

Too much too soon for Ulberg, even if he is maybe the more skilled fighter.

I think the moment will get to him and he'll lose his composure.

His last fight against Menifield wasn't really good in terms of his growth. He needed it get in there and fight a long fight, not just have his opponent bull rush him for the easy KO.

Too much too soon for Ulberg, even if he is maybe the more skilled fighter.

I think the moment will get to him and he'll lose his composure.

His last fight against Menifield wasn't really good in terms of his growth. He needed it get in there and fight a long fight, not just have his opponent bull rush him for the easy KO.

Stylistically it's not too much too soon at all. Of course he could crumble under the bright lights, but it's going to be a kickboxing fight vs a guy with minimal grappling threat & who was KO'd less than 3 months ago. I think he'll be favored on the betting odds when they come out.

Awesome. Ulberg getting that much needed top 5 shot. I thought he will break top 10 for sure this year, but top 5 is even better.

prepare for 5 weeks of Hill blowing smoke up our asses.

37 days, thats over 5 weeks to be specific. Either way, I don't really consider that short notice. Sure it's not ideal but still plenty of time for a camp and to tailor a game plan for an opponent.

Football coaches have less than 2 weeks to tailor a game plan for 70 people on their team (22 starters) against the best team in another conference for the biggest game of the year (super bowl)...

UFC fighters should be able to game plan for their opponent pretty easily compared to the above scenario and timeline.

realistically... You watch 4-5 previous fights. Break down their strengths and weaknesses. Then 4 weeks of drilling several hours a day, 5-6 days a week for specific scenarios related to your opponent to take advantage both offensively and defensively.

That's being generous, IMO. This could all be done in 2-3 weeks at most.

Stylistically it's not too much too soon at all. Of course he could crumble under the bright lights, but it's going to be a kickboxing fight vs a guy with minimal grappling threat & who was KO'd less than 3 months ago. I think he'll be favored on the betting odds when they come out.

I don't know, man.

We've seen what happens when it doesn't come easy to Ulberg. He lost his cool against Kennedy, and even against Jung, he was a different fighter in the third than he was in the first and second rounds.

I wouldn't say Hill is a minimal grappling threat either. It was his wrestling that won him the fight against Santos in the later rounds.

Good point about the recent KO.

Stylistically, I usually favor boxing over kickboxing, especially when the boxer knows how to throw good straight shots, which Hill usually does.

As someone who gambles MMA for a living, I'll probably take Hill if Ulberg does open as the betting favorite. I doubt he will though.

You probably believe the UFC is interested in Pereira on the card in addition to O'Malley/Dvalishvili & Grasso/Shevchenko 3 lol. Not happening.

Pereira isn't fighting any sooner than October.
307 is most likely Utah and that is going to need a main event, Islam will most likely do Abu Dhabi with Arman and they are most likely gonna stack up the sphere (FW, BW, WFLW) which leaves slim pickings for 307 (Maybe FLW and WBW but thats not much)

Going from Fighting #10 ranked Menifield to Former champ #3 in Hill is a strong ask on short notice.

Great fight though on paper.
Its not that short...they probably did ask for it days ago before it got announced, Hill is in a hurry to get back into the W column, gets KO'd most likely.

Back